Another scientist explaining why dieting usually fails.

Options

Replies

• mauridaher
    mauridaher Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Does Dr. Sandra Aamodt even lift? Clearly not. If she wants to give up and suck forever that's her loss.

YEAH SUCK IT DOC!
  • thatjosiegirl
    thatjosiegirl Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I watched this TED presentation last week and then rolled my eyes. As much as I love the TED Series this just didn't make any sense to me. Yes, we are bound to get hungry from time to time but it's all about reaching for fruits and vegetables and not crap food. Her theory assumes we are unable to choose what to eat and how much to eat, and that I just don't buy!
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Does Dr. Sandra Aamodt even lift? Clearly not. If she wants to give up and suck forever that's her loss.

Not only does she not lift, she apparently knows noone that partakes in such nonsense. She appears blissfully unaware of what occurs when one regularly lifts.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Dr. Aamodt suggests that our set points for storing body fat may be adjustable upwards but possibly are not adjustable downwards.

Set points (a biological weight which we simply cannot shift as opposed to a settling point which can fluctuate both up and downwards and be manipulated certainly in the short term - say a number of years ) is a controversial subject.

I do think there is some validity in the idea that the body gets used to a certain range which it seeks to protect making it much more difficult to lose or gain weight outside of that. However that does not mean it cannot be done.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is eating less calories than you burn. Doable.

The problem for most of us is keeping it off. That is where the failure statistics come in.

Keeping active and constant monitoring is key to not reverting back to overeating.

How bad do we want it. Simple, not easy.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=415

Yes there are things that impact on maintaining weight loss. Above explains it as well.
    For those who don't want to read it it says - 150cals/day thermodynamics and up to 500 cals/day exercise efficiency can be the variant for people who have lost weight compared to those who have not had to lose or didn't lose.
    Says to me that armed with the right information we can adjust what we do.
    Sounds more positive than - give up its not gonna work.

I know that different people have different experiences, but I've been obese twice (for more than one year each time) and my resting metabolic rate is still mid-1700s. I eat back the MFP calories and they seem to be reasonably accurate for me.

But, yeah. For whatever reason your metabolism might be slower (age, dieting, obesity, health issues) it's just a matter of adjusting what you do. And, if you have lower calorie needs, I doubt you're going to be hungry all the time.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I see you lost your willpower again and are back on the excuse train. :ohwell:

Yep
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    achilles_zpsa6169147.jpg
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    The body is amazingly adaptive and it will aim for the most efficient state to the stimulus it is given. The adaptive nature to stimulus is intertwined and complex involving psychology, physiology and biochemistry. Then there is weight loss / gain vs. fat loss gain - most of us initially focus on weight loss which is not what we are really targeting but works as a great rule of thumb which people can easily track and lets us at least find the path - diets are the same they should be used to help us find the path towards what we want from life.

It is not dieting that fails per se it is that we try to use dieting as a tool to fix / improve or change ourselves, our "problem". As long as we see something as "work" and ancillary to what we do day to day and it is not integrated into our life we will eventually lose will power and "fail". This is why people here say so often it is a "life style" change, we can use diets to educate ourselves but ultimately we need to assess what we integrate to our daily living that will be realized in the longer term
  • ttx336
    ttx336 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is eating less calories than you burn. Doable.

The problem for most of us is keeping it off. That is where the failure statistics come in.

Keeping active and constant monitoring is key to not reverting back to overeating.

How bad do we want it. Simple, not easy.

Gee Whiz! What she said ^^

Seriously, could not have said it better, it is all about portion control and that is where this website shines. Get a food scale, use measuring cups, etc. and log what you eat, this works, but only IF you work it.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Because diets suck. Diets are taken as "this short term thing I will do to lose weight." When you stop the diet and resume your more common eating pattern, the weight comes back.

By this measure, brushing you teeth fails too - you stop doing it and your teeth rot!

This doctor is an idiot in dire need of a kick in the *kitten*.
  • ldula88
    ldula88 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    achilles_zpsa6169147.jpg

^this. <3
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Dr. Aamodt suggests that our set points for storing body fat may be adjustable upwards but possibly are not adjustable downwards.

Set points (a biological weight which we simply cannot shift as opposed to a settling point which can fluctuate both up and downwards and be manipulated certainly in the short term - say a number of years ) is a controversial subject.

I do think there is some validity in the idea that the body gets used to a certain range which it seeks to protect making it much more difficult to lose or gain weight outside of that. However that does not mean it cannot be done.
    I'm guessing that it probably isn't easy to get it to adjust downwards if all you do is starvation fad diets and cardio, stripping off more and more lean mass every cycle. Of course your body is going to think it's starving and underweight... because it is.

In her talk all she mentioned was eating. Why would anyone on ANY diet expect to maintain a decent physique by just sitting around.
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    QUITTER_o_19241.jpg
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    leptin resistance
  • cpilson
    cpilson Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The good news is like Dr. Liebal, Dr. Aamodt shows that even if you are overweight or even obese making 2 out of 4 lifestyle changes (diet, exercise, smoking, drinking) can bring your risk of death in line with healthy people.

Soooo ... I need to start smoking and drinking, and then quit, and then I'll be okay? Excellent. :)

Fun point aside, I'm unsure why she or her employer spent the $10K that it typically takes to register for a TED talk.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Bro+Science.+Do+you+even+lift_891b8f_4320288.jpg
  • mmcdonald700
    mmcdonald700 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Ugh this is the type of person that gives scientists a bad name. This is the most awkward ted talk I've ever seen, get some charisma lady and actually sell your research. Was not impressed nor persuaded by this talk, as it appears most people who watched it felt.
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    hmm im not hungry all the time. im not overweight because im physically hungry.

its important to distinguish where the hunger is coming from...

personally i think people overcomplicate weight issues. its not that complicated.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    It reinforces the need for medical science to come up with mechanisms to alter this set point or at least negate hunger.

or it reinforces the need for people to stop getting fat in the first place!