When do you start buying new clothes?

Options
How long do you live with loose and ill-fitting clothes, and relying on a belt to hold your jeans up? I've lost 5 lbs so far and can see it in my body already...waist is smaller, lost some tummy, and some on the top too. But I'm reluctant to buy new clothes because I know I have more to go (aiming for another 15 - 20 lbs). Yet, staying in these loose clothing has a negative effect on my psyche...I think I'm skinny and can eat more!

When do you start investing in new clothes?

Replies

• asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    This is the reason I love used clothing stores!

as I lose i buy some items that fit at low cost, since i plan to lose more!

when I hit the point of maintenance then I will spend more money on a new wardrobe!
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    When my clothes are ill-fitting because they look like crap. Buy them at consignment shops to save money.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options

when I hit the point of maintenance then I will spend more money on a new wardrobe!

Exactly this. The Goodwill or Salvation Army is my best friend for when I want to buy myself something new. Buying clothes keeps me motivated, and helps as a tangible reminder of weight lost.
  • silmarilliane
    silmarilliane Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    hell yeah to charity shops! as soon as something gets a bit baggy, i donate it straight back and i buy something new. keeps my wardrobe fresh and i can get 4+ pairs of jeans for the price people i know pay for one pair!

a good tip is to trawl the charity shops in affluent areas :)
  • auburngirl06
    auburngirl06 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Sounds like we all do the same thing :) I've been shopping at thrift stores and consinment stores. Just last week I got 4 new tops and 3 pair of work pans for $22 total.
  • fattybumclaire
    fattybumclaire Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have just gone from a uk size 16-18 to 14, luckily I have a friend who has dropped from a 14 to size 10......I am borrowing her trousers until I am ready to splash the cash on my very own size 12s :)
  • FreshKrisKreash
    FreshKrisKreash Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I waited until I was in the size I wanted and now I'm waiting until I'm completely done losing weight.
  • ninja8tofu
    ninja8tofu Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    We don't have very nice thrift stores in the town I live in (small town). So, I mostly buy new and have to order it usually. I've bought things at a fairly regular interval. I refuse to wear things way too big. I started at a 20, then bought 16, 14, 12 and now 9/10. I just buy a few things at a time. Shirts I did the same. Will need to buy all new summer things as nothing from last year even remotely fits me.
  • morefit_bec
    morefit_bec Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I used to never buy new clothes unless things were falling off me, but I just realized today that I am ready to buy some new clothes since all but three of my nicer shirts are too big and are falling off of me.

I'm going to use thrift shops to buy new clothes since a lot of them may not end up fitting me again in a few months. I'm not going to buy new clothes at the nicer/more expensive shops until my weight/size stabilizes.
  • Shelley6591
    Shelley6591 Posts: 156 Member
    Options

This!!!!

I have to have dress clothes for work so second hand stores have been a life saver! I had to buy some tighter work out clothes though so I watched the sales at Old Navy and got great deals, other wise my pants we falling down as I ran :noway:

I bought a few pairs of jeans last night because they were on sale, 2 sizes smaller than I am now, this has worked for me so far! Keep it up! After losing 60 pounds in the last year, I have very little clothes, make sure to get rid of it as soon as it's too big!!!
  • fightnxaggie
    Options
    Look at craigslist and freecycle.org. You might be able to find clothes there as well.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different. I lost almost 20lbs and had only bought a couple things because I don't have a stack of cash to throw around for in between clothes. If you feel you need new clothes after losing 5lbs of water weight then go for it. Do what makes you happy. It's your money and psyche.
  • cschiff
    cschiff Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    local consignment stores, ebay etc! sell your stuff and buy cheapppp :) i agree with you when you said that loose clothes make you feel like you can eat more! i do that! so i try to get rid of pants that are too big (i love to sell on ebay) or trade with friends etc.
    plus getting new stuff is always fun! but it'll be more rewarding (and better for the wallet lol) to invest in new pieces that might be a little more pricey when you are a little further along. just my thoughts!

congrats :)) sincerely happy for you that you are seeing results! going to send you a friend request :)
  • lizzardsm
    lizzardsm Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I always have a 1 or 2 pairs of pants a few sizes smaller than what I'm wearing. I tend to buy a pair whenever I see them on a super discount - Clearance Express jeans 80% off in a size smaller than what I can wear? Yes, please! I don't end up switching to the smaller jeans until it fits perfectly, absolutely no snugness. It feels like such a huge accomplishment that way!
  • amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to hold off with the shopping until I'm near-finished (have at least another 50 to go), but there are things I'm going to have to buy... Bras are becoming critical, since they actually serve a purpose! All of them are too loose in the back, and even at 50lbs down, I still have enough up front that I neeeeed that support! Also, even when I've been at stable weight, I've bought a dress now and then for fancy occasions, and I'm still doing that... I tend to not get too many wears out of party dresses anyways, so it's fine that it will be too big soon
  • boombalatty123
    boombalatty123 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    My pants are starting to fall off (yay!). I have a couple of pairs of "skinny" jeans in a drawer that I'll try on. I think they'll fit, but they're out of style now (embroidered, etc. lol), so I don't know if I'll want to wear them. I plan on hitting the thrift shops as soon as they start putting out Spring merchandise (any minute now). If I can't find anything I like there, I'll order one or two pairs of jeans online.

I realized last night that I've already got a stack of spring/summer tees stashed away that I'd stopped wearing because they were unflatteringly tight on my fat rolls. I think they'll be perfect now. :happy: Other than pants and bras, I don't think I'll have to buy much at this stage.

So, first I shop at home, then I try thrifts, then I look for bargains online or in stores. I'm only about a third of the way to my goal weight, so I don't want to invest too much in clothes I will hopefully need to replace again in another few months.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I'm at my maintenance now, but when I was losing, I had to buy new work clothes as soon as I started to look frumpy and unprofessional, even though I did lose another size after that and had to buy new clothes again. But I work in a corporate environment and it was necessary to at least have jackets and trousers/skirts that fit, as I really couldn't wander around looking unkempt.

I kept my casual clothes too big until I was done losing, though. However, I only went from about a 6 to a 0-2, so it wasn't a huge deal to wear my baggy jeans for a while. I wasn't swimming in my stuff, just looking scruffy.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Have you tried taking them in? When I first started losing weight I would put darts in them...then ripped out seams and sewed them back up. When it got to the point that no longer worked I started hitting up the thrift shops.
  • xWendyJonesx
    xWendyJonesx Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I sell my big clothes on ebay, then when they are sold I use the credit to buy smaller clothes, once I get to the size I'm happy with then I'll start treating myself to new clothes, until then it's ebay mostly or the sale racks for me.
  • RoseGoldDinosaur
    RoseGoldDinosaur Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Buy new clothes! What would Stacy and Clinton say? If it's too loose, buy something that fits properly! Go for leggings, blousey tops, and dresses that will stick with you regardless of weight, but buy a pair of jeans that fit for the meantime. If you get too small for those, buy another pair! I'm not saying drop loads of cash, but you can get brand new skinny jeans at Target for $20 that look just as good as designer.