How to differentiate water retention & fat gained?

Options

Replies

• Lld320
    Lld320 Posts: 81
    Options
    Do you have a smartphone? If so, download the app Libra. You put your weight in daily, and after several days of data it will show you a good trend line. If it is just fluctuations, your trend line should remain pretty flat which means you've found your maintenance level. Again though, I've found it takes 7-10 days of data before you get a good trend line that shows if you're actually maintaining or not.
    Trying this, thanks!
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'm maintaining now but I've gained a kg since yesterday and I'm not sure if it's water retention or fat gained how can I differentiate it?

Up 1 kg in 24 hrs? Don't forget option 3 - slowed GI motility (i.e., temporary constipation). I know it's gross, but hey... things other than fat and water can influence the scale.
  • threshkreen
    threshkreen Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yup, forgot about that one. What's lounging around in your gut does get weighed!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Well...you don't gain 2 Lbs of fat overnight...so yeah...water.

Two Lbs of fat would be 7,000 calories...that would be 7,000 calories over your maintenance calories. Even then, the body is an amazing thing and you wouldn't actually put on 2 Lbs of fat if you did that. Overriding your body's ability to maintain requires consistent effort.

Your maintenance is going to be a range, not an exact number...your weight isn't static. You have water retention and release as well as timing of food in and out, etc. Hell, maybe you just need to take a big dump. You better wrap your head around this, or maintenance is going to be a real kick in the nuts.

Natural weight fluctuations can be 3-5 Lbs easily day to day.
  • Wingg_
    Wingg_ Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I definitely did not over eat by 7000calories but I am just worried that it may be the calories accumulated because I might have been eating the wrong maintenance calories.

Then you have to make sure that you know what your correct calories are, log the correct calories and maybe weigh and measure your food to see if constant overeating ( even just a couple 100 calories) for whatever reason is the culprit. You are still in a phase when this can be easily remedied. Don't wait until you gained so much that you get discouraged.
    Good Luck !

I do weigh food pretty accurately so I'm freaking out now because of the 1 kg because I don't wanna gain back the weight I lost..
  • Wingg_
    Options
    Do you have a smartphone? If so, download the app Libra. You put your weight in daily, and after several days of data it will show you a good trend line. If it is just fluctuations, your trend line should remain pretty flat which means you've found your maintenance level. Again though, I've found it takes 7-10 days of data before you get a good trend line that shows if you're actually maintaining or not.
    Trying this, thanks!

Downloaded it!
  • Wingg_
    Options
    I definitely did not over eat by 7000calories but I am just worried that it may be the calories accumulated because I might have been eating the wrong maintenance calories.

Calories don't like accumulate in the stomach, and then get added all at once to cause a big weight gain.

After every single meal, once your liver glycogen stores are topped, once your muscle glycogen stores are topped off, once you've used extra carbs and any fat for immediate energy needs, once any protein has been used as needed, after that 3-5 hrs post meal you'll have stored any truly excess as fat.

So the difference that is very obvious - fast vs slow weight gain, or loss for that matter.

If you ate 250 calories over your true maintenance for 2 weeks - you would only gain 1 lb slowly if fat. And actually, if lifting, it wouldn't even be mostly fat.

Pick valid weigh-in days to minimize water weight changes.
    Morning after rest day eating normal sodium levels, not sore from last workout.

That's about the best you can get.

I weigh myself after I go to the bathroom every morning so I think it's pretty consistent.
  • Wingg_
    Options
    I'm maintaining now but I've gained a kg since yesterday and I'm not sure if it's water retention or fat gained how can I differentiate it?

Up 1 kg in 24 hrs? Don't forget option 3 - slowed GI motility (i.e., temporary constipation). I know it's gross, but hey... things other than fat and water can influence the scale.

Totally didn't think of that...
  • Wingg_
    Options
    Well...you don't gain 2 Lbs of fat overnight...so yeah...water.

Two Lbs of fat would be 7,000 calories...that would be 7,000 calories over your maintenance calories. Even then, the body is an amazing thing and you wouldn't actually put on 2 Lbs of fat if you did that. Overriding your body's ability to maintain requires consistent effort.

Your maintenance is going to be a range, not an exact number...your weight isn't static. You have water retention and release as well as timing of food in and out, etc. Hell, maybe you just need to take a big dump. You better wrap your head around this, or maintenance is going to be a real kick in the nuts.

Natural weight fluctuations can be 3-5 Lbs easily day to day.

3-5 lbs from day to day. I've gain a kg and the kg stayed for a few days already. I'm not sure if my sore muscles one of the cause though.
  • cschiff
    cschiff Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Best thing you can do while in maintenance is to quit weighing yourself every single day. You'll go mad!

I agree. I sometimes get myself all freaked out over a couple lbs up and remember there are so many reasons weight can change all the time (food, water, sodium, BM regularity, hormones just to name a few). If you are maintaining maybe try weighing just once a week or every two weeks or something like that...daily you are likely to see fluctuations so you don't want to make yourself worry for nothing!

ps. congrats on getting to goal!
  • Wingg_
    Options
    Best thing you can do while in maintenance is to quit weighing yourself every single day. You'll go mad!

I agree. I sometimes get myself all freaked out over a couple lbs up and remember there are so many reasons weight can change all the time (food, water, sodium, BM regularity, hormones just to name a few). If you are maintaining maybe try weighing just once a week or every two weeks or something like that...daily you are likely to see fluctuations so you don't want to make yourself worry for nothing!

But if I don't weigh myself daily I'm afraid that I'll gain back all the weight unknowingly...
  • cschiff
    Options

But if I don't weigh myself daily I'm afraid that I'll gain back all the weight unknowingly...

well if you can tolerate being upset with fluctuations, then that's your call. but remember that bloat or water retention is very different from fat gained.

trust yourself-- you've worked hard and if you continue to exercise and eat mindfully and healthfully you will be just fine.
    :)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Weekly, biweekly, monthly. You're not gonna magically blow up like a tick, I promise. Weigh yourself on a day when you feel good. Let go a little. You'll be a lot happier, and you're not gonna get fat.
  • Wingg_
    Options

well if you can tolerate being upset with fluctuations, then that's your call. but remember that bloat or water retention is very different from fat gained.

trust yourself-- you've worked hard and if you continue to exercise and eat mindfully and healthfully you will be just fine.
    :)

Thank you I will really consider quiting to weigh myself daily!
  • Wingg_
    Options

Weekly, biweekly, monthly. You're not gonna magically blow up like a tick, I promise. Weigh yourself on a day when you feel good. Let go a little. You'll be a lot happier, and you're not gonna get fat.

Maybe it's really time to let go a little! Thanks for the suggestion!
  • cschiff
    Options
    you got this!!!! trust yourself :) enjoy your success and live your life :) balance is key!
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    You've gotten lots of good advice from the previous posters. My suggestion is to shift your focus and develop a plan for maintenance. I strongly suspect that almost all of us successful maintainers have a plan for how we maintain our weight. Maintenance doesn't just happen, you need a plan and you'll need time to test and refine your plan as needed.

It isn't good fortune that I've maintained my weight for almost two years. That's my maintenance plan in action.

I wrote a blog post on having a maintenance plan if you are interested:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/themedalist/view/what-s-your-maintenance-plan-624676

Best Wishes!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    3-5 lbs from day to day. I've gain a kg and the kg stayed for a few days already. I'm not sure if my sore muscles one of the cause though.

Yes - reread my post about valid weigh-in days - NOT sore from prior workout.

Because sore means you have retained water in the muscles to aid in healing. Wanna heal from your workout so it causes improvement?

Sadly you can get to point of not being sore and still retaining water for repair - but you'll learn how many days it takes to drop that weight.

Your stress over this is really going to cause you issues too.
  • MsMaryMac48
    MsMaryMac48 Posts: 89 Member
    Options

In that case I would re-figure your setting just to be sure. If you are still not happy, exercise a bit more and don't record/eat back the calories burned and see what happens. OH and increase your water intake for a week or so and that may shake things up.
  • Wingg_
    Options
    you got this!!!! trust yourself :) enjoy your success and live your life :) balance is key!

Thank you!!