People who used be thin VS ppl who were always overweight

Options
Is it just me or does it seem like people who used to be average weight have an easier time losing weight than someone like myself who has been overweight/obese my whole life? Just a thought....

Replies

• cjusticeg
    cjusticeg Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I suppose, it depends on what you think is overweight. I've always considered myself to be overweight, but no one else has. I've always weighed more than the average or skinny girl, and I'm so far having an okay time with it. I think it just take severe dedication. It also helps to have a big support group. For example, it's a lot easier now that my bf is losing weight with me and not stuffing his face with nachos when I'm trying to refrain from eating junk. It can also be genetics. A lot of biological things come into play when it comes to weight loss, but mostly it takes a lot of hard work.
  • ladyofivy
    Options
    I think this is a topic that could turn into a heated debate quickly. I know that genetics play a role, but for example, I was thin until I got married and then got really large.

However, the genetics in my family follows that same rule. All of the women were thin and then got large.

I've lost the weight, but most of the women in my family haven't.

My husband likes to say the same thing; that he's always "been fat" so it's harder, he thinks. In his case, I think he just doesn't continue to try because he can't picture himself thin.

I don't believe that just because you've always been heavy that you will have a harder time. I think it's just as difficult for anyone of the same health and weight. Maybe psychologically it's harder, but not physically IMO.
  • Navie42
    Navie42 Posts: 152
    Options
    Yes, those with a genetic predisposition to be heavy will have a harder time losing than others.
  • leslieheb
    leslieheb Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I totally understand what you are saying..and my family is a prime example.. my sister is tall skinny and has been her entire life and me on the other had is the complete opposite.. I believe with enough dedication I think we can all do it.. my uncle has a motto that as long as you eat less calories than you burn then you will loose weight and it is so frustrating to hear him say that because that is not always true... medications, stress, sleep, genetics all have a factor in this process... my mom has a hypo thyroid and it makes it harder for her and I to loose weight because of that factor that is all Genetics.. I believe it is like learning some people it comes easy to and others not so much.... I wish you luck and I know that it is a long process and a hard road but I believe that you can do it ..
  • tanias11
    Options
    its deff a genetic thing, before i gave birth to my son i was small and average weight but of course i did work on that body bc my family is full of obese ppl so i knew if i didnt do something id end up as big as them. then i gave birth to my son a year ago and look at me , in the same position 7 lbs less.. i knew this would happen to me bc of my family history with weight . and my mom and i arelike twins. she was skinny then gave birth then gained A LOT of weight and it never came off. so it really depends. i wish i was at before i gave birth to my son
  • Shawna_831
    Options
    I was always the skinny girl. The one they called toothpick. I put on the weight after my 2nd child and it took me about 4 months to lose 15 pounds. That to me seems like a long time. I've seen people who are on fad diets lose 15 pounds in 2 weeks. I think it really just all depends on the person, their dedication and their diet plan. I'm not doing a fad diet, I'm making a lifestyle change so it makes sense to me that it will take longer. I was not obese but I was in the over weight range (about middle).
  • celeste2u
    Options
    Judging by your ticker, you are doing great!

Growing up I was not overweight, although I always thought I was. I have never been one of those very petite girls. As I got older my opinion of "skinny" changed. At my heaviest, I was 240 pounds. I lived life being the fat girl and I have lived high school being average. I want to be healthy now.

I have always struggled with food and exercise. I honestly don't think it matters where you start this journey, as long as you start it. It takes a huge commitment on anyone's part to change your lifestyle.

Personally, I believe everyone has their own struggles with weight and fitness. It sometimes seems that you have a mountain to climb, where as someone else has a bump.

You are doing great, and we are all here to support each other. Keep up the great work! :D
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    I was an average sized kid & didn't get bigger until high school. So about half of my life as thin & half as an obese person.

Losing weight is a huge mental game & no matter what you were before it comes down to how ready you are now.
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    One thing that many people don't realize is that "thin" does NOT equal "healthy".

I was skinny growing up as a child. I was skinny as a teen, and skinny as a young adult. Then I got a sick which lasted over a year and was potentially fatal. I gained 70 pounds that year. Had 3 more bouts and gained at least another 15 pounds each time.
    Now its been over 10 years and I am still struggling to get the weight off.

I don't believe that being thin before doesn't make it any easier to get the weight off.

What I do believe is that its completely and truly possible to get the weight off if I do the work that is required of me.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I was very thin when I was younger. At 40 it's harder to lose weight. My doc did find some vitamin deficiencies and prescribed some vitamins for me. I'm also dealing with hormone levels which mess up my metabolism really badly. You might try getting a physical and getting all your labs done to see if there's a reason you have trouble taking the weight off.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I'm going to disagree with this.

I was a slightly chunky kid, then a very underweight teen despite a healthy and hearty appetite. My weight increased to a healthy level after having kids and stayed pretty much the same with little effort for 20 years until I was struck with early onset emphysema and my mobility decreased. Not thinking to cut portion size I piled on 7 stone in 2 years and I'm not finding it easy to shift at all. 1800 calories and I was still gaining 3-4lb per month, i've had to take it below 1200 to actually start losing weight and even though I've lost 28 pounds in 3 months its been hard work. I didn't even let up on my birthday, I log every last morsel that goes into my mouth right down to how many 2 calorie no sugar black coffees I drink and my weight loss has slowed and now stalled.

I think it depends on how/why the weight goes on along with honesty to yourself that makes the big difference. Its obviously going to make a difference in how much you have to lose too. 7lbs lost does not show on me but will be very noticeable on someone with only a couple of stone to lose.
  • HidyleDidyle
    Options
    Losing weight is a huge mental game & no matter what you were before it comes down to how ready you are now.

I think that this is the key. When I was younger I was probably 50 lbs lighter, but had a propensity to put on weight in my 20's from simply eating too much and not burning it all off with exercise, but when I did burn it off diligently, it came off quickly.

I'm finding the older I get, the more time is needed to burn off the weight. But even though my slower metabolism is a factor, I think the biggest factor is in my mind. When it doesn't happen fast enough, or when I get discouraged because I can't eat exactly what I think I want, I can fall off the wagon easily.

Don't be discouraged if it is taking a long time! Hang in there! The key is to take it one day at a time, modify your eating "lifestyle" into something healthier so that weight won't go on, and try to get some exercise too so that you can be stronger. Don't let doubts and fears and disbelief bog you down! (I'm speaking to myself too here!)
  • cspinney
    cspinney Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I was never overweight until I started working full time. It's been years and I haven't been able to lose weight even though I do exercise regularly. So I don't think it's quite that cut and dried.
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    i think its all in the head. growing up i was very thin and when i hit high school i was very muscular and never had a problem with weight. when i began dating my wife and eating all that good home cooking and spending less time in the gym is when i began to gain weight, it started slowly 10 lbs a year but then it added up so over a period of 12 years i've gained 100 lbs for the longest i didnt worry about it because i've never looked like i weighed as much as i do, even when i was thin i weighed more than it seemed. The biggest difference was lifestyle for the past few years i've struggled to lose weight just like anyone else because my way of living changed. but now i'm determined so although its not "easy" its happening pound by pound
  • AmberMagdalena
    AmberMagdalena Posts: 461 Member
    Options

I think that this is the key. When I was younger I was probably 50 lbs lighter, but had a propensity to put on weight in my 20's from simply eating too much and not burning it all off with exercise, but when I did burn it off diligently, it came off quickly.

I'm finding the older I get, the more time is needed to burn off the weight. But even though my slower metabolism is a factor, I think the biggest factor is in my mind. When it doesn't happen fast enough, or when I get discouraged because I can't eat exactly what I think I want, I can fall off the wagon easily.

Don't be discouraged if it is taking a long time! Hang in there! The key is to take it one day at a time, modify your eating "lifestyle" into something healthier so that weight won't go on, and try to get some exercise too so that you can be stronger. Don't let doubts and fears and disbelief bog you down! (I'm speaking to myself too here!)

Yes I too have to agree that for the most part it IS mindset. And Maybe someone who emotionally eats (like me) for bordom or comfort needs to push past that and "reset" their mind. I understand that "mindful eating" does play a huge role in weight loss but i know that personally, I can work and work at it, lose 2lbs eat sushi one day and gain back three. its just weird. It gets me discouraged too b/c it makes me believe that i am never going to be able to enjoy my favorite foods again even in moderation
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    I heard some where that it is more difficult to lose fat that you have had for an extended period of time because of a decrease in blood circulating to those fat cells but don't quote me on that. It could just be some rumor.
  • ZacFields
    ZacFields Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Yeah like others have said, some people have it in their genetics to be skinny. Thus, it's likely that MFP underestimates the amount of calories that person's body actually burns in a day. The number they use is the best guess they can get (I don't think it's possible to literally measure the number of calories your body burns in a day precisely).

So if MFP says my body with a sedentary lifestyle burns 2,550 calories per day, but due to my genetics I'm actually burning more like 3,000 calories per day, I've really got 500 more calorie deficit than I think I do.

I think that's how it works, anyway. I think it you've got a good metabolism due to genetics (and you've just been eating poorly and that's why you've gained so much weight), your body naturally burns more than what you think it should.
  • LoriT129
    LoriT129 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Bottom line...you have to find what works for you. Some people have a higher metabolism than others so will lose weight quicker. Whether genetics, health, metabolism, whatever play a role, or not, there is something that will work for you individually. You just gotta find it and stick with it!! :) Looks as if you have found something that works for you because you are doing great!!
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    First of all if you eat sushi with soy sauce you will have water retention & that shows up on the scale.

Sometimes you have to focus on other things like measurements and put away the scale (that thing weighs bones, muscle, fat, waste, organs, water....everything!). Bring your focus to being healthy & regroup.

If you've had a physical with blood tests, etc & you are in the clear then it boils down to what you eat, how much & excuses. You can enjoy what you used to in moderation but you must be prepared for that initial flucuation from the sodium. A real weight gain doesn't happen immediately.

Start reading more about weight loss (not those cheesy articles in magazines either) to help you understand the way your body works. :)
  • AmberMagdalena
    AmberMagdalena Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    First of all if you eat sushi with soy sauce you will have water retention & that shows up on the scale.

Sometimes you have to focus on other things like measurements and put away the scale (that thing weighs bones, muscle, fat, waste, organs, water....everything!). Bring your focus to being healthy & regroup.

If you've had a physical with blood tests, etc & you are in the clear then it boils down to what you eat, how much & excuses. You can enjoy what you used to in moderation but you must be prepared for that initial flucuation from the sodium. A real weight gain doesn't happen immediately.

Start reading more about weight loss (not those cheesy articles in magazines either) to help you understand the way your body works. :)

I do have PCOS which does make weight loss difficult but its just so much slower than before