Picky, picky

Options
So I am new to this site and trying to lose 35 - 40 lbs by next summer. But I am extremely picky about food (such as no veggies, other than raw carrots and corn). Plus I have a very bad sweet tooth, like cake, cookies, etc which is very hard trying to get through the holidays. Does anybody have any suggestions for me??

Replies

• neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    So I am new to this site and trying to lose 35 - 40 lbs by next summer. But I am extremely picky about food (such as no veggies, other than raw carrots and corn). Plus I have a very bad sweet tooth, like cake, cookies, etc which is very hard trying to get through the holidays. Does anybody have any suggestions for me??

LOL yes- stop being so picky! ;-) Just kidding

I'm not sure what to tell you about veggies, but it may help during the holidays (to avoid sweets) by drinking plenty of water, and possibly eating a snack before you attend a holiday party.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You'll need to start eating more vegetables! Plus lots of whole grains, lean protein and fruit. And drink lots of water. But start slow, don't completely overhaul your diet all at once. Just start by trying new vegetables. Try lots of them cooked many different ways. If it takes covering broccoli and cauliflower in cheese sauce in order to get you to eat them, so be it. Once your more used to vegetables you can cut back on sauces and things. My husband and I are to the point where we like them just steamed.
  • JeepBaja
    JeepBaja Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    I am picky but I will pretty much each anything... with some protest of course :) What I have found though is that I can still eat the things I like... I just have to stay under my calorie goal, which I have done over the past 30 days and I am down almost 10 pounds and that includes some serious eating over Thanksgiving!

I am not being hard on myself... I have plenty of good days and just a couple of bad days.... You just have to keep track of the sweets and keep yourself under your calorie goal. Next summer is still pretty far away so you have time :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Even though you are picky you MUST eat veggies. Try a different kind every day starting with a mouthful, each time increasing the amount. Eventually you will get used to the tastes/textures and may not like but should not mind eating them.

You can shop them up very fine (or boil and puree) and add to pizza, soups, sauces, etc.
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Jerry Seinfield's (sp?) wife has a cookbook where she basically puts healthy vegetables into the foods she cooks. Maybe that is something you would want to look into.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Sounds like we could be sisters! I hate veggies - I'll only eat lettuce, tomatos, and onions. LOVE the sweet stuff. So I make sure I eat the veggies I love twice a day but in different ways - like as a salad, on a sandwich, added to other foods. And I have something sweet every nite for a little "snack" when my sweet cravings seem the hardest. I have a 100 calorie cookie pack & skim milk. If I've had a good calorie burn, I'll make it hot chocolate with Swiss Miss diet (adds 25 calories). Nutritionally sound approach? - probably not but doing it this way I've lost 230 lbs over 3 years and I feel GREAT! So it works for me. I'm all for healthy eating but not depriving myself and binging later, that doesn't work either so find what works for you. Also, although its hard, don't put a time limit on the weight loss. I've been at it for 3 years and still have another 22 to go - whether its this year or 5 years from now I know that as long as I keep at it, it will happen and more importantly I'll never go backwards. Good luck!
  • lisafrancis629
    Options
    Regarding your dislike of vegetables...I was never a big fan of veggies (broc, zuchini, squash, green beans, peppers) but I started cooking them several different ways and using different spices and now I love them. Never, never, never ate green beans until 4 months ago. I learned that the problem I had was I couldn't stand CANNED green beans. I steam, grill or baked fresh green beans about 3 times a week now. I toast up some almond slivers and add them in with some garlic pepper.

Sweets have never been my problem so I have no advice for you on that.

Good luck. YOU CAN DO IT !!!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Try slowly introducing more veggies. There are various cookbooks that teach you to "hide" your veggies in food (like the one ChancyW mentions above). If you don't like one preparation method, try another. Another MFP member mentioned one time that they only like most veggies raw - can't stand them cooked. Whatever it takes to get you to eat more of them - they're critical to a truly healthy diet, and unfortunately limiting yourself to corn and carrots won't cut it.

Regarding sweets, try finding healthier versions. For example, I found a black bean brownie receipe that is delicious - you'd never know it had black beans instead of flour. (I use honey instead of baker's sugar.) There are so many recipes like that, creative uses of healthier ingredients that make a delicious dessert. You'll also just have to try to start exercising your "saying no" muscle since it's the time of year where people have tons of treats around. Make sure you allow yourself a treat here and there (not every day though!) - it will keep you from feeling deprived and won't ruin your progress if you plan around it.
  • Cristy_AZ
    Options
    My advise would be to figure out why you don't like vegetables. If you like raw carrots, there are probably lots of other vegetables you probably like. As in, are you buying them frozen or fresh? Do you not like them because they are overcooked (soggy... just guessing since you like crunchy carrots). Do some experimenting and I'll bet you find more that you like or a way to serve them that you like. What about soups or stews? Maybe V8? You'll find something, then expand from there. As far as sweets, you just have to work on it, cut them out slowly, cut way down on your portion size and trust that the less you eat of refined sugars the sweeter a banana or pineapple will taste to you!!!
  • leslieheb
    leslieheb Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    When I was living at home my mom was a very picky eater and she did not eat anything except green beans... when I first moved out I thought that I was a picky eater and did not want to branch out.... I would try different stuff and in different ways.. for example my friend takes zucchini and blends it and puts it in spaghetti sauce ... I know this is more for her kids but the same method could work for you to get more veggies in......