WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2014

Options

Replies

• Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Alison - this seems alarming to me. Please take care of yourself.

Sue in SD - for focus in doing the prayer shawls patterns in sequences of threes is said to help with focus due to the association with the trinity.

Off to work again.

Gail, metro ATL
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Popping in late this morning:blushing: !

Alison:smile: I`m worried for you:cry: ! Please check back in after work, so we know you`re okay:flowerforyou: ! I do agree with Sylvia!!! You`ve just had more on your plate the last few months:sad: , please take the time to take care of you!!! The massage is well deserved and well needed!!!

Cynthia:smile: Your guy sounds like a wonderful man:love: !!!!

I`ve read all the posts and I`m wishing everyone well:flowerforyou: :heart: !!!

Have a great day ladies! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in NC where we had snow yesterday afternoon:angry:
  • LizPlus
    LizPlus Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies ( New & regulars)
    Today is our 41st wedding anniversary :noway: We didn't buy any gifts this time..decided to have a family meal together tonight...love having the children over and seeing my grandsons is always a plus.:heart: ...they tell me not to make any foods they are bringing the dinner with them.:love: ..but I need to do a bit of cleaning before my DS and our DD come later today.
    Thanks for the support for my problem of going outside to walk...my dr told me to start with small steps..just to go out on our front step for now and then progress a little more when that is comfortable for me......I am talking to myself with affirmations of the good things in walking outside....I go to the grocery stores and Dr's appointments..my DH is always with me then...may need him to walk with me once I get comfy with being out.
    I hear the wash calling me so I will be back later....I pray you lovely ladies have a fantastic March day!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

LizPlus fr, Halifax NS,Canada
    699271cdv95juxma.gif
  • tammytylerjones
    tammytylerjones Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Good Morning all... from snowy Virginia... This winter has been an interesting one for us hasn't it? Makes me want to eat LOTS of comfort food and read a book in front of the fireplace. Exercise?? haha!
    We used to live outside of Chicago -- it was do hard for me to commit to exercise there -- soooo cold, for soooo long! Good luck to all of you "northerners!" dealing with this crazy winter.

Allison -- I agree with the rest. Please try and find someone to talk to. I'm glad you feel comfortable venting here, but I really worry when I read your posts and I want you to be safe. Hugs.

I spent yesterday at the vet with the little dog. We were afraid she had a flareup of her pancreatitis, but instead has a UTI. Glad for the lesser diagnosis, but the timing is crummy with record cold and snow! We're bundling up and off for a walk, albeit short one!

Have a great day all!
    hugs to you.
    xoxo
    tammy
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,221 Member
    Options
    Alison - I can hardly trust myself to say what I think, but of course I send you my love and support for whatever you decide to do.:heart::heart: : :heart: :heart:
    Personally there would be a lawyer, a locksmith and police protection asap. At the very least contact Domestic Abuse TODAY, if only for a chat, to hear what they say and to unburden yourself. Let him look after his own father.
    My very best wishes xxxxxxxxx and loads of ((((((((hugs)))))))).

Heather
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Alison - I can hardly trust myself to say what I think, but of course I send you my love and support for whatever you decide to do.:heart::heart: : :heart: :heart:
    Personally there would be a lawyer, a locksmith and police protection asap. At the very least contact Domestic Abuse TODAY, if only for a chat, to hear what they say and to unburden yourself. Let him look after his own father.
    My very best wishes xxxxxxxxx and loads of ((((((((hugs)))))))).

Heather

Not really my business and you don't know me, but they are right. This is serious. You are not the "problem", he is. Please, get some help. My prayers!!!

D (from freezing pipes, Buffalo, NY)
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Alison.............Walking on eggshells and living in fear is no life. Lawyer, locksmith, police---Heather is so spot on there............he is escalating.
    Please protect yourself.......this has gone on too long.
    yanniejannnie
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    MA in UK: Excellent goals. I log every bite and swallow, and that is the secret of my success, along with moving more.:flowerforyou:

Heather in Hampshire: Good luck with your knees. I hope you’re able to get an appointment. I started this whole weight loss adventure because I gave myself bursitis in my left knee while riding a horse. Knee pain is awful. I was/am really motivated to lose weight because I want more riding lessons and want to ride pain free. It is the fire in my determination. Yoga doesn’t cause me to burn fewer calories. It makes me more flexible and boosts my metabolism. I don’t see why it would cause you to burn fewer calories. I wonder what sort of yoga you do. I think I’ll look for the Happiness Project at the library. It sounds like you get a lot of good ideas there.:flowerforyou:

Barbie: Our knitting choices are similar. Dishrags and blankets are useful. I do love your red sweater but don’t have the confidence to try to knit one. My cousin bought a place in AZ and winters there with his wife. She and my DH both have MS and sunshine is helpful. From their email messages I gather they’re in a senior resort with lots of activities and parties. If horseback riding was on the list I’d be envious, but bocce ball and golf don’t tempt me. DH and I are definitely “retire in place” sorts of people. We initially envisioned retiring in the San Juan Islands, but abandoned the idea when we found our river side townhouse here in OR. We need easy access to specialized medical help that is available here because of DH’s health issues.:flowerforyou:

Alison: I’m both proud of you for standing up to your DH and also more than a little scared for you. Is he likely to harm you physically? Sylvia has given you some good advice. You need to develop a contingency plan. Stay safe or get safe.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

LizPlus from Halifax: Happy Anniversary!:bigsmile: :flowerforyou:

Tammy: What is UTI?:huh:

Yoga today, and then visits to the eye doctor. We’ll see what is what for DH’s vision, and also I plan to get new glasses while they’re still partially covered by health insurance. I don’t think I’ll have any financial help with that once I go on Medicare in July.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

March goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Move more: cardio at least 3 days a week and strength training as soon as I am able.
    3. Find a way to have fun at least once every day.
    4. Water: According to an article I saw on facebook, drinking water at certain times maximizes its effectiveness for the body. I’ll work toward following these guidelines:
    * 2 glasses of water after waking up - helps activate internal organs
    * 1 glass of water 30 minutes before a meal - helps digestion
    * 1 glass of water before taking a bath - helps lower blood pressure
    * 1 glass of water before going to bed - avoids stroke or heart attack
  • yvie63
    yvie63 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody, I joined MFP a couple of weeks ago, I live in the the UK and am 50
    . I've just started my weight loss programme at the end of January and I've lost 10lbs so far. My goal for March is to lose another 7lbs.

Yvie
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,057 Member
    Options
    Good morning,

Deedee:drinker:

Lizplus Happy Anniversary!:flowerforyou:

Alison I agree your DH overreacted. I know my DH was not comfortable when I had a man do massages for me. He told me in much kinder terms. I quit having the man give me massages because when he gave me my last massage he complained the whole time he could have been giving a massage to a client who called him last minute and was a big tipper. I did not stop going to him because of DH. I now have a wonderful woman who I trust give me massages. Alison from other things you have shared he does sound reactive to me. Has he always been like this? Certain medical conditions can aggravate this. Good luck in standing up for yourself. His treatment was out of line.

Joyce glad you are feeling better. Sounds like a great way to celebrate.

Patsy sorry about your uncle. Dementia is not an easy condition to handle. About your niece :brokenheart: glad you are there for her.

Cythia DH what a support!

Heather have you had physical therapy with your knee. I agree sounds like it is time to do something.

Katla sweet potatoes yum!

Pennie I had the stomach bug twice this winter so I know how it can wear you out. Glad you are on the mend.

Barbie I agree about the restaurants.

Goal:
    Take care of myself today, so I have a healthier tomorrow.
    2014 word:contentment
  • JagZag
    JagZag Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm Dale from Jacksonville, Fl., 63 yrs. old and my goal is to lose 50 lbs. I started in January with Curves, then had a sprained ankle and couldn't do anything that required both feet for most of the month of February. So I am trying to get a jump start on March. I also have the Body Media Fit armband, that is a great motivator for me to keep moving. My goal for March is to lose 8 lbs.:smile::smile:
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Alison,

Take a look at this link...http://www.helpguide.org/mental/domestic_violence_abuse_types_signs_causes_effects.htm

And yes, verbal abuse IS violence.

They spell it out clearly and simply, and give some information about what you can do... http://www.helpguide.org/mental/domestic_violence_abuse_help_treatment_prevention.htm

Even if he is not physically abusive YET, it may only be a matter of time. Does he have access to guns? Has he ever threatened you physically?

I don't know how old your husband is, or what his mental health history is, but sometimes abusive behavior can be a of sign depression or the onset of dementia. But it doesn't matter. You have got to protect yourself. You come first right now!

From what you have said before, he later apologizes for what he said or did, but that doesn't make up for the fact that he does it again and again. Apologies are just another form of manipulation and control!

Do you have family and friends to confide in? Do you go to a church? Could you confide in a boss or coworker?

Please let us know what's going on and how you are feeling. We really do care about you!

Sylvia
  • luckyinlove2
    luckyinlove2 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Posting for the month and to reserve my spot. Allison please take to heart all the love and advice that's been given here.
    My goals for March are:
    Lose 1 pound per week
    Curves 3x/wk with some other exercise at least one other day
    Continue recording foods on MFP!
    Planks for at least 30 seconds daily

Jeri in "just plain cold but sunny NW Illinois"
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Can a new great Grma brag a little? Carson Maxwell was born yesterday,healthy & a big bouncing baby at 8lbs- 11 0z,21" long.
    His Momma is a little bit of a thing,so his size was a surprise.

Both are in good health.She was feeding him within 10 mins of birth.You can see his pic on my home site.

Katla,I would call your insur rep & get insur info on any RV you consider. Also find out the diesel mileage.....taken with a grain of salt, the cost of nice campgrounds,a car to tow,& how it would be towed On a trailer or? All will need insur.

Does he realize that each eve stop means the RV usually needs to be backed into a site,then hooked up to water,elec & sewer?
    In rain/wind/cold,that can be quite a chore. Come morn,all the lines need to be unhooked,wiped down & stowed away. Getting fuel can be an adventure of it's own. Just saying.

Thanks about info on eating more to lose.Gonna keep reading about that.

Quote "Hi lovely ladies. My goals work better for me when I can express them in actions over which I have control. At my age, that means deciding what to eat and drink in a day and what exercise to do. I find I have little control over how many lbs my body will shed at my age
    Renny "quote"......?.. So very True
    [/quote]

Allison,Worried about you.All you do/take care of,no way anyone should put you down.Please confide in someone,keep safe in whatever way works for you.

It's a lovely day of warm sunshine in Ohio.Going to wait another day or 2 before venturing out. The cold hangs on. Pat in Ohio
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Congrats, Pat! Glad everything went well.

Cynthia
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy fat tues.
    Allison,worried about you also.I know from experience with a verbal abusive ex husband.
    Sending hugs and prayers.Please,take care of yourself.:heart::heart: :heart:
    HUGs to you all:heart::heart:
    jane
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,221 Member
    Options
    Sylvia - excellent website!:flowerforyou: Alison, I hope you read it.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Well today I am proud of myself. Got a doctor's appointment for 20th March, the earliest available. :noway: It is with a different doctor as mine is useless. Margaret I have been doing physical therapy for YEARS.

I rang the hairdressers and only got the ansaphone, but emailed again and the boss called me back. Yeah! Got an appointment for Saturday. :happy: He will tell the girls to turn off the music. He said he would prefer it quiet too.:ohwell:

Emailed the housing association for my rental AGAIN. Not holding out much hope, but I feel better for doing it.:smile: Asked to be referred to someone higher up. I have a category 1 complaint already filed.

So I accomplished all my tasks with ease and grace.:laugh:

Katla - I meant that on my yoga day, which I count as a rest day, I only burn 240 cals. Every other dsy I burn 500+. So I can't eat as much on Tuesdays - no alcohol :cry: and no evening CHEESE!:sad: Never mind, tonight I'm out at the WI. :bigsmile:

Bye folks - my lamb, chick pea and sweet potato tagine is smelling divine!

Heather UK

Edited- Yanniejannie, I love thst photo too. DDIL has just sent me the most wonderful set of photos she took at the Science Museum in London. DGS is concentrating soooo hard on the water machines. He looks just like a serious scientist!:love:
  • jfenner141
    jfenner141 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Alison - Please listen to Sylvia and the rest of us. One key behavior pattern in domestic violence is the apologies after the fact, blaming the violent behavior on something else (work stress, the beer made me do it, etc), never taking total responsibility.

Developing a contingency plan is a great idea. It should include where you can go to be safe, getting critical papers together (preferably in a safety deposit box or somewhere not in the house), having a stash of money, credit cards, whatever you can put together.

Please let us know you are safe and OK

Hugs, Jill in western MA
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,828 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies: I went to the wellness center today for the first time this month. I walked an extra five minutes on the track and moved all the weight machines I use up one plate. I cut back on reps but I can tell I am really going to feel this tomorrow. I think I will plan on getting in the pools then. Warm water should help.

Gail - thanks for the suggestion on focus while doing the prayer shawls. As it turns out I am currently doing granny squares and there are three stitches per group.

Allison - I am with everyone else here. Please find someone you can talk to. From Christopher Robin to Pooh: "Promise me you'll always remember, you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think."

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in SD
  • kayms13
    kayms13 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Alison, add me to the list of those who are concerned for you. Please find someone you can talk to and help sort things out.

Barbie, thanks for the link to the plank video. The same nice-looking young man also had a video on doing crunches on a stability ball that was helpful. One of my goals is to work on strength and flexibility.

That's all I have time for right now. Have a good day everyone!
    Kay - WI