Protein?

Options
Hi there! I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice on protein? I'm looking for some healthy, portable and easy protein snacks. I'm a student and I'm at school all day, so it would need to travel well. Thanks!

Replies

• MissKim78
    MissKim78 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I was just going to post a similar topic! I'm not in school but I work full time and would love to find more portable proteins! I find I am always hungry so I want to find more filling things to snack on through my day and stay within or under my calorie goal! :smile:
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Turkey jerky is a great option. Also, if you can have a cooler/lunch box, I'm a big fan of cottage cheese.

Hope this is helpful.

Allan
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    A palmful of nuts
  • FreshKrisKreash
    FreshKrisKreash Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Cottage Cheese = amazing! 80 calories 12 g of protein & delicious!
    Nuts are always a good choice.
    Protein bars travel well too.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Hard-boiled eggs
    String cheese
    Portion-controlled nuts
    Yogurt
    Peanut butter & apple slices or celery
    Hummus & baby carrots
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    For some reason, people always say, "nuts." No. Nuts are good fat sources - not good protein sources. A handful/ounce of almonds has 6 grams of protein for 160 Calories. No, thanks. For 3 oz of chicken (which is good, IMO, cold) - it's 83 Calories and 15 grams of protein.
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    String cheese
    Greek yogurt cups
    Deli meat and a cheese slice rolled up
    Hummus with anything to dip into it (fresh veggies, chips, pretzels)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    For some reason, people always say, "nuts." No. Nuts are good fat sources - not good protein sources. A handful/ounce of almonds has 6 grams of protein for 160 Calories. No, thanks. For 3 oz of chicken (which is good, IMO, cold) - it's 83 Calories and 15 grams of protein.

Now if only I could find a woman who would tolerate storing cold meat in her purse...
  • beccamh
    beccamh Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    - Tuna (the pouches are shelf stable, the kits are good too but come with mayo/crackers which you may/may not need)
    - Cheese (mini babybels, cheese sticks, cheese cubes...)
    - Jerkey (beef, turkey, chicken.. if you make your own it's much cheaper and IMO yummier)
    - Yogurt (this should be kept in the fridge but I usually pack one and eat it for lunch and I'm still alive)
    - PB2 (this powder has good macros, you can bring it dry and add water to eat with apples/carrots later)

Other than these ... chicken/turkey/beef/pork etc. It might be worth buying a reuasble icepack and small lunch box :)
  • kickivale
    kickivale Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I tripled my protein intake after asking around the forums :)
    this is what I stick with:

CHICKEN. chicken sausage, cold chicken breast, grilled chicken on my salad, chicken everywhere. Buy a pack of four skinless boneless breasts, cook them all, take with you! I'm a sucker for making it into chicken salad, but I'm happy with just a little salt and pepper or mustard too.

Fage yogurt. A little agave, a little fruit, a little granola, whatever. Life changer.

Quest bars. Not for everyone but I eat one every day and it does double duty. Fixes my sweet tooth and gives me 21 grams of protein per bar.

Morning iced cappachino with a half scoop of vanilla protein powder. Its rocket fuel for me at this point.

eggs. most portable when hard boiled (which I don't personally eat) but I eat scrambled and fried at home.

hummus with veggies

edited for spelling :/
  • kickivale
    Options
    OMG how could I forget tuna. Tuna sandwiches on whole wheat english muffins or on deli pop/rice cakes. Happiness.
  • LauraCarlson86
    Options
    protein bars!! easy to grab and travel with!
  • kickivale
    Options
    Ah, and turkey and cheese for lunch! I have it about 4 days a week and forgot about it LOL. I just keeping coming back :/
  • michaelar_ae
    michaelar_ae Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I have some great stuff to work with now.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    If you have a Kroger nearby, the Kroger brand Light Greek Yogurt is only 90 calories with 16g of protein.
    Whey Protein powdered shakes also. Mix it with unsweetned almond milk (the almond milk is only 30 calories and great source of calcium).