Replies

• TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    BUMP.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Pick a stance. Most like shoulder-width or a little wider. It really depends on what, exactly, you are trying to hit with your squat. Wherever your toes naturally go in that stance is where they belong.
  • martybartram
    martybartram Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If your toes are pointed out less of your foot is in contact with the ground and thus you "bleed" power. The squat is a functional exercise. If I placed a box in front of you or simply told you to jump in the air, you would, naturally, keep your toes pointed straight ahead.
    Coming from the bigger faster stronger era in the 80's we were told to get wide and point our toes out. This does allow a deeper range of motion initially as it allows the femur to clear the hip. You can and will get the same range of motion with a toes ahead stance with your feet just at or slightly greater than shoulder width apart.
    Knee damage comes into play when you allow your knees to come in front of your toes ( a result of not sitting back into the squat).

But don't take it from me, take it from the PHD...google "Becoming a Supple Leopard by Kelly Starrett"
    After 36 years of exercise in a professional environment this is by far the best book I have ever read and every professional trainer I have come across that has read it raves about it. It makes simple sense and has helped me erradicate daily aches and pains just by showing me how to stand and move properly.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    If your toes are pointed out less of your foot is in contact with the ground and thus you "bleed" power. The squat is a functional exercise. If I placed a box in front of you or simply told you to jump in the air, you would, naturally, keep your toes pointed straight ahead.
    Coming from the bigger faster stronger era in the 80's we were told to get wide and point our toes out. This does allow a deeper range of motion initially as it allows the femur to clear the hip. You can and will get the same range of motion with a toes ahead stance with your feet just at or slightly greater than shoulder width apart.
    Knee damage comes into play when you allow your knees to come in front of your toes ( a result of not sitting back into the squat).

But don't take it from me, take it from the PHD...google "Becoming a Supple Leopard by Kelly Starrett"
    After 36 years of exercise in a professional environment this is by far the best book I have ever read and every professional trainer I have come across that has read it raves about it. It makes simple sense and has helped me erradicate daily aches and pains just by showing me how to stand and move properly.

nope.

I land toes slightly out.

my foot is fully on the floor with turn out.

That being said- KStarr is great- although I am not sure I could spend that kind of money on that book- it's a terribly put together book.
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I just saw a video two days ago showing modifications to squats. They said toes forward works the outter thighs (I think) and toes out works the inner thighs (this I remember for sure). They compared toes out to ballet dancers as part of the reason for "dancers legs".
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    It is hard to get good form with dumbbells if you have your arms holding them down by your sides. Ideally, you want to use a barbell, but I know this isn't always possible. Regardless, you want you knees over the toes, wherever they end up. Go as deep as possible, so yes, sacrifice weight right now for depth (you can lift more doing a half squat than a full squat, but you want to go below parallel to get the most benefit from the exercise).
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    It is hard to get good form with dumbbells if you have your arms holding them down by your sides. Ideally, you want to use a barbell, but I know this isn't always possible. Regardless, you want you knees over the toes, wherever they end up. Go as deep as possible, so yes, sacrifice weight right now for depth (you can lift more doing a half squat than a full squat, but you want to go below parallel to get the most benefit from the exercise).

indeed
    If I have to use DB- I hold them in front (like a front squat- or I put them on my shoulders. (or over head if you are feeling saucy)

only time they are down is if I'm doing Bulgarian split squats
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

Kelly Starrett (Mobility WOD) teaches the toes more forward (5-10 degrees I believe) because he claims it creates more "Torque"Coming from the bigger faster stronger era in the 80's we were told to get wide and point our toes out. This does allow a deeper range of motion initially as it allows the femur to clear the hip. You can and will get the same range of motion with a toes ahead stance with your feet just at or slightly greater than shoulder width apart.

I've read Becoming a Supple Leopard cover to cover. It's an excellent book on mobility and exercise technique. That said, I do disagree with the toes "forward" (or @ approx. 5-10 degrees) with knees out beyond that. Supposedly this creates more "torque" when squatting. Personally I believe the only thing it "torques" is your knees because they're not inline with your toes. I tried squatting that way a couple times and that is the only time in my life I've ever had knee pain....Seriously.

You want your knees out to allow for better depth and better incorporation of the adductors into the movement. Having your knees inline with your toes is a no brainer - your knees and other joints will thank you.
  • billionhighways
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the great tips! I'm going to start with body weight and get my form fixed before I pick up the weights again. Can't wait to put your advice into practice :)
  • renzluca
    renzluca Posts: 1
    Options
    If by "toes out" you mean like 45 degrees out then no, that is not a standard squat. Straight forward or around 10-15 degrees out is good, depending on how your body feels. I know i prefer about 10 degrees out. Once you start hitting around 45 degrees out you are hitting different muscle groups in the leg, check out pictures of bodybuilders posing. If you look at their poses in relation to their feet you can see how the orientation of the foot changes the muscles groups used in your legs. Typically toes out is gonna be your abductor muscles and more hips since you can get lower, if you are looking for more of a top quadracep exercise then go with the straight to 15 degree out in my experience