Failed once, but trying again--need active friends

Options
MissLCWolff
MissLCWolff Posts: 69 Member
I joined MFP once a few years ago, but only had one friend doing it with me, so as soon as one of us failed, the other would, too. We lasted maybe a week and a half. I joined again a few weeks ago, and I've made great progress, but I'd really like some more friends on here for motivation and support, particularly ones who log on every day.
About me:
1. I'm a 5'5" young female trying to lose 107 pounds. 9.5 down, 97.5 to go!
2. My daily limit is 1320 calories. I'm currently very satisfied and well-nourished at that amount, but I may increase that amount later in my weight loss journey if I start feeling like it's not enough.
3. I get my cardio from spinning, walking, jogging, step aerobics, and jump training, and strength from pilates, sit-ups (am I the only person in the world who likes them?), hand weights, and general compound strength exercises.

Replies

• nomoreyoyo67
    Options
    I have been on here before and I swear this is my last time because I am going to do it! Feel free to add me:)
  • McKenzieLeigh
    McKenzieLeigh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have been a member of this site for a few years and this has been my only successful run...50 days straight now. I am 5'3" looking to lose 65 -75 pounds or so. I started out at 1200 calories, but I have since increased to 1530 and feel better and I am still losing. I am pretty sedentary at this point, but I know I need to start moving more very soon. Feel free to add me! I love new friends and try to be as encouraging as I can!
  • youngamber82
    youngamber82 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I thought about trying pilates. I don't make it to the gym but I have some workout video's that I use and one of them includes pilates but I haven't tried it yet. I have been using Hip Hop Abs as well as playing Just Dance which I feel gives me some workout (I have kids, it is hard to get to the gym, plus I am a single mom). Feel free to send me a friend request. I log in at least 5 days a week (I am working on sticking to it on the weekends but I lose motivation but I am really trying and just like you I also need some friends who motivate me).
  • MissLCWolff
    Options
    I thought about trying pilates. I don't make it to the gym but I have some workout video's that I use and one of them includes pilates but I haven't tried it yet. I have been using Hip Hop Abs as well as playing Just Dance which I feel gives me some workout (I have kids, it is hard to get to the gym, plus I am a single mom). Feel free to send me a friend request. I log in at least 5 days a week (I am working on sticking to it on the weekends but I lose motivation but I am really trying and just like you I also need some friends who motivate me).
    Oh yeah, I can't STAND gyms. I've been doing the Blogilates beginner calendar and it's really helped me stay on track.
  • ForABetterMe89
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I joined a few years ago and failed big time, didn't keep up at all. I came back last year about this time, and lost 23 lbs, the most I was ever able to lose, so last year wasn't a failure. I'm back now as I've gained 5 lbs. I started at 173, standing at 5'3". Now, I'm about 155, looking to lose about 15 lbs. This time I'm back to lost the last 10 lbs and the 5 that I gained back. Feel free to add me!
  • tffnylou
    tffnylou Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This is my first time using MFP, I have used other programs before but I am excited about this, I like the community part of it.
  • niniagrn
    niniagrn Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    That's right, do not give up. I have reached my weight loss goal and continue to log in daily to maintain the weight lose. I'll be more than happy to be your MFP friend.
  • SgtBA_Diana
    SgtBA_Diana Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Ditto. This is my second go around & I'm happy to say that it's working out. Having MFP does help a lot... whether it's just a simple like or motivational comments. I'm a daily logger unless I'm on vacation. I had a pretty good streak going on & then I went to Vegas. Lol. I'm sending you a friend request. Good luck!
  • jendragyn
    Options
    I joined two years ago this May. I did really great and lost just over 50 lbs by that December. Then disaster struck. They found a cyst on my ovary, surgery followed in February and then depression and stress over things that are out of my control regarding my grandson that was born September of 2012. I've gained 40 lbs back. I'm starting over with a goal of 125 lbs and would love others to help keep me motivated!
  • mmredd100
    mmredd100 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I added you :) I am 5'2 and need to lose about 40-50 pounds. I also am around the 1300-1400 calorie goal as well and i feel that it is often more than enough but will add more if i need to. While i do go to the gym i just joined a new gym and i HATE it. So i ordered beachbody's T25 and am starting today actually. I lost about 40 pounds counting calories and doing insanity before so i know it will work, but i'm having a hard time finding the motivation this time.
  • ttx336
    ttx336 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I joined MFP once a few years ago, but only had one friend doing it with me, so as soon as one of us failed, the other would, too. We lasted maybe a week and a half. I joined again a few weeks ago, and I've made great progress, but I'd really like some more friends on here for motivation and support, particularly ones who log on every day.

just a few tips from someone who has had great success on this site...

Portion control is the key so,
    get a food scale
    using measuring cups

Honestly log everything that you eat or drink, drinks can be very high-calorie so do not neglect them. Many of us have had great success logging what we are GOING to eat, in other words, make a plan and work that plan, once you eat it, it's too late to change your mind. I feel much less restricted when I feel in control, so if I want a particular food, I plan for it and make room in my 'calorie budget' for it.

Exercise is important, but... you can far exceed your exercised-off calories in what you eat, so, pay careful attention to calorie intake. I used to run, ride and lift everyday - and lost nothing in terms of weight because I (pre-My Fitness Pal) did not have any idea of the amount of calories I was consuming. Now, 20 years and several serious injuries later, I cannot do much in terms of exercise, and for the purposes of education, do virtually nothing for exercise other than my daily routine. Having said that, I park very far away from "the store" or wherever I am conducting business, I almost never use an elevator or escalator. And yet, I've lost 32 pounds and feel absolutely great. Once I hit my goal, which is just three pounds away, I will begin some moderate exercise such as walking, push-ups and sit-ups.

Yesterday I read a post in which someone said something that I hear myself say very often, and that is - "it's simple, it's just not easy." That is so very true here, the simple truth is, if you burn more calories than you consume, you will lose weight, it's just not possible to gain or even maintain weight otherwise, after all, we're not air ferns, right?

Lastly, set a realistic goal - 3500 pounds is about one pound, so... drop 500 calories out of your daily diet and that will theoretically equal one pound of weight lost each week. Trying to do much more, if not any more, is very likely to signal to your body that starvation is impending and it will immediately respond with a drop in metabolism, which you do not want... so, my suggestion is to eat three to five small meals and spread them out, eat complex carbs, no white flour, no refined sugar, no HFCS, those cause a sharp spike in blood glucose and it will almost certainly cause a corresponding glut of insulin to be released, which then causes that unused glucagon (I think that's correct) to be stored as fat...

I'm certainly not an expert, however, it's hard to argue with success, and all of this that I have related is coming from much research that I have done and many, many failures of diet disasters that I have been through such as Atkins, Susan Powter's "fat make you fat" and on and on... eat a balanced diet, burn more that you eat and you will lose weight. I have and so have countless others here.

Good luck,
    -Gary
  • Bluemountain22
    Bluemountain22 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm getting more active again on this site, as I've gained some of the weight I previously lost when I started my PhD. I now feel settled and I'm recovered from an injury. Feel free to add :)
  • SandraD1424
    SandraD1424 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    same her but this time around I have been sticking too it. Noticing the change and excited to keep going, feel free to add me:)
  • chris2267
    chris2267 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Me too! I was doing so well and then winter hit, my husband moved out and I had to deal with emotions. I haven't totally checked out but it hasn't been on the front burner.

I wish the weather would cooperate so I can get back outside.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, I can't STAND gyms. I've been doing the Blogilates beginner calendar and it's really helped me stay on track.

I love the gym. It hold me accountable while I'm there because I don't want to look like the one that can't hack it with the younger, more fit models. Working out at home, for me, is just to easy to procrastinate by finsing other things I just "have" to do rather than my workout. At least at the gym, I know what I'm there for and can't find other things to do with my time that I think would be more productive.
  • Joyce_D
    Joyce_D Posts: 25
    Options
    Feel free to add me :-)
  • MissLCWolff
    Options

just a few tips from someone who has had great success on this site...

Portion control is the key so,
    get a food scale
    using measuring cups

Honestly log everything that you eat or drink, drinks can be very high-calorie so do not neglect them. Many of us have had great success logging what we are GOING to eat, in other words, make a plan and work that plan, once you eat it, it's too late to change your mind. I feel much less restricted when I feel in control, so if I want a particular food, I plan for it and make room in my 'calorie budget' for it.

Exercise is important, but... you can far exceed your exercised-off calories in what you eat, so, pay careful attention to calorie intake. I used to run, ride and lift everyday - and lost nothing in terms of weight because I (pre-My Fitness Pal) did not have any idea of the amount of calories I was consuming. Now, 20 years and several serious injuries later, I cannot do much in terms of exercise, and for the purposes of education, do virtually nothing for exercise other than my daily routine. Having said that, I park very far away from "the store" or wherever I am conducting business, I almost never use an elevator or escalator. And yet, I've lost 32 pounds and feel absolutely great. Once I hit my goal, which is just three pounds away, I will begin some moderate exercise such as walking, push-ups and sit-ups.

Yesterday I read a post in which someone said something that I hear myself say very often, and that is - "it's simple, it's just not easy." That is so very true here, the simple truth is, if you burn more calories than you consume, you will lose weight, it's just not possible to gain or even maintain weight otherwise, after all, we're not air ferns, right?

Lastly, set a realistic goal - 3500 pounds is about one pound, so... drop 500 calories out of your daily diet and that will theoretically equal one pound of weight lost each week. Trying to do much more, if not any more, is very likely to signal to your body that starvation is impending and it will immediately respond with a drop in metabolism, which you do not want... so, my suggestion is to eat three to five small meals and spread them out, eat complex carbs, no white flour, no refined sugar, no HFCS, those cause a sharp spike in blood glucose and it will almost certainly cause a corresponding glut of insulin to be released, which then causes that unused glucagon (I think that's correct) to be stored as fat...

I'm certainly not an expert, however, it's hard to argue with success, and all of this that I have related is coming from much research that I have done and many, many failures of diet disasters that I have been through such as Atkins, Susan Powter's "fat make you fat" and on and on... eat a balanced diet, burn more that you eat and you will lose weight. I have and so have countless others here.

Good luck,
    -Gary
    Thanks for all the advice! I own a food scale and about 50 measuring cups, and I use them religiously (which drives my family crazy--at least once a day I hear, "Weight Watchers doesn't make you count calories from vegetables!"). I've been trying to only eat back a portion of my exercise calories to leave room for error (I have to calculate calories burned using my average heart rate, because my HRM and MFP both wildly overestimate how many I'm burning), and I eat at least three times a day, but only just enough to satisfy me.