Favorite Squat Technique

Options

Replies

• whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Low bar back. Can't go as deep as high bar, but it works the butt and hamstrings and doesn't bruise up my shoulders.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Which is your current or favorite squat technique?

Front, sumo, back, etc.

Why do you prefer one over the other?

I'll start by saying I've always been a back squatter. Took me a year to build up to 45lb plates. I recently started to do front squats which caused me to drop the weight much lower because for me they are more challenging, but I wanted the challenge. So now I do both.

You mean sumo deadlift? I've never heard of a sumo squat.

I do high bar squat and front squats.

Sumo squats are just a wide stance squat, a lot of powerlifters use them.
  • TS3g
    TS3g Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I like ATG hybrid squats as my main squat, then front squats as more of an accessory (I do them on deadlift days)
  • Wolverine_Boy
    Options
    Assisted and normal Pistol Squats have been my favorites for a while!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a lot more Front Squatting since I've been doing more Olympic Lifts. I really do enjoy these more than Back Squats, even though (as mentioned by others too) I can lift a lot more w/Back Squats.

I've also been doing Overhead Squats. These are a challenge for me to get in position with my tight upper back. First time I tried these I couldn't even get to parallel with a PVC pipe - LOL. I'm happy to say with some mobility work and practice, they're coming along nicely.

right here.

I kind of prefer front squats- but I do back squats- I just switched to a squat-centric program so It's all back squats right now. I'm already sick of it and I"m only on week 2 though- I hate programs. Regardless- Front squats are fun- but back squats for weight. I also high bar squat.

I will do assisted pistol squats- but I don't get crazy with it at this point since I"m focused on strength.

And I incorportate OHS on my DL day to improve mobility- I do alternating PVC pipe squats and the bar squats since the bar currently is taxing my body.
  • Expect_The_Worst
    Options

Front, sumo, back, etc.

Bulgarian Split Squats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI9jX-6vJtE

2010-images-footballbody-Bulgarian-Split-Squat-2.jpg
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I've been doing front squats for about 8 weeks. I like them a lot, So, now I heavy back squat on Tuesday and front squat for higher reps on Friday after my heavy deadlifts.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Low Bar Back
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    My favorite is front squats, but if I could only do one kind of squat, it would be low bar back.

I don't know how much weight I "should" be front squatting, and I am certainly no Mark Rippetoe, but I think any lift that challenges your quads and anterior core like a front squat does is worth training for strength. I have front squatted 180 x 1 at the end of a 10-round ladder, so I would estimate that if I started fresh, I could work up to 190. I would not even attempt to power clean that much, but I have never trained power cleans, so who knows.
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a lot more Front Squatting since I've been doing more Olympic Lifts. I really do enjoy these more than Back Squats, even though (as mentioned by others too) I can lift a lot more w/Back Squats.

I've also been doing Overhead Squats. These are a challenge for me to get in position with my tight upper back. First time I tried these I couldn't even get to parallel with a PVC pipe - LOL. I'm happy to say with some mobility work and practice, they're coming along nicely.

i started these last week too. it takes alot to keep straight up with the bar over head. right now i can do 5 reps with 40lb barbell only
  • missADS1981
    Options

Front, sumo, back, etc.

Bulgarian Split Squats

I do these and boy do i work up a sweat doing them!!!
  • missADS1981
    Options
    I've only done back but I'm thinking of trying front this week!

let us know how it goes. took me a few times to get comfortable with it. now that i have the form and hold down i have to slowly work up my weight for those. my shoulders have a harder time with front squats.

Ok, since you asked! :)
    So I did box squats for my first year of lifting. Second year, back squats.

Today.. my first front squat. Loved it!! I only did a little bit shy of my back squat weight, which I'm kinda proud of! My quads are already killing me. I used the arms-crossed method. Very fun. Love finding new moves :)

i can only do front with arm cross method, great job!
  • Expect_The_Worst
    Options

Front, sumo, back, etc.

Bulgarian Split Squats

I really feel these way more in my glutes and quads versus doing regular squats. Im not sure why but they really blow up the legs and buttocks. These can also be done with a barbell like a regular squat. Thats how Kris Letang does them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntV03xCfXYI (1:22)

I highly recommend them to whoever isnt doing them.
  • missADS1981
    Options

Front, sumo, back, etc.

Bulgarian Split Squats

I really feel these way more in my glutes and quads versus doing regular squats. Im not sure why but they really blow up the legs and buttocks. These can also be done with a barbell like a regular squat. Thats how Kris Letang does them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntV03xCfXYI (1:22)

I highly recommend them to whoever isnt doing them.

I do them with dumb bells but also started to do with a 20 or 30 pound barbell also. def targets on the push up on the bum and quads!
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Low bar back squat is my primary squat but I also do front squats as an accessory lift.
    ...it isn't a bad idea to avoid front squatting more weight than you can clean.
    QFT

QFTX2

I like low bar back, but I also do front squats once a week. I also agree that front squatting more than you can clean is a no go, at least for me, I FS about 75% of my clean weight.

Rigger
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Low bar back squat is my primary squat but I also do front squats as an accessory lift.
    QFT

QFTX2

I like low bar back, but I also do front squats once a week. I also agree that front squatting more than you can clean is a no go, at least for me, I FS about 75% of my clean weight.

Rigger

I don't get this. AT ALL.

I front squat about 80% of my back squat max which in turn is roughly 130% of my power clean and about 120% of my clean and jerk. Now my 5x5 for front squat every week is about 70% of my clean, but my maxes are much higher than what I can power clean.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    those pistol squats look tough
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    probably answered already but whats a low bar back squat?

and how do you do hack squats without the hack sqaut sled?
  • JoRocka
    Options
    QFT

QFTX2

Rigger

I don't get this. AT ALL.

I front squat about 80% of my back squat max which in turn is roughly 130% of my power clean and about 120% of my clean and jerk. Now my 5x5 for front squat every week is about 70% of my clean, but my maxes are much higher than what I can power clean.

I suspect it has to do with manipulating the weight. If you get in a bind you can un clean the weight.... well- least that's my first thought- but it's not a good one- I squat in a power cage and when I fail a front squat I don't do that- I just sit down and let the rails take the weight.... but I mean I can *almost* see it... .maybe it's a guide line- like DL is usually a heavier lift than the squat- for *most* people.

shrug- I don't do Oly lifting much at this point- so those aren't a priority- i cant' compare them at this point- it would be apples to oranges.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    probably answered already but whats a low bar back squat?

a quick google will answer that for you- there is a great chart showing the difference and line of the bar.

Low bar- you tend to be wide-r and your chest comes down more
    High bar- looks more like a baby picking something up- sitting down between the knees- but the chest stays up right.