Similar goals?

Options
When you're adding people, do you try to stick to people who have similar goals/body weight/losses?

I have over 200lb to lose and I've tried to add people who had similar starting weights or who've lost in excess of 100lbs but sometimes I see people who are already in shape or with maybe 20-50lbs to lose looking for friends, but I'm hesitant about adding them. Is that weird? Lol.

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    When you're adding people, do you try to stick to people who have similar goals/body weight/losses?

I have over 200lb to lose and I've tried to add people who had similar starting weights or who've lost in excess of 100lbs but sometimes I see people who are already in shape or with maybe 20-50lbs to lose looking for friends, but I'm hesitant about adding them. Is that weird? Lol.

I don't see why. I've got friends who have a lot to lose, I've got friends who are body builders, and friends who are in maintenance. I'm in maintenance myself and have been for a long time. Every one has something to contribute and sees things from a different perspective. Why would you want all your friends on MFP to have the same perspective?
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    the ones who have already had success will be able to give you the best advice

so are you looking for a random list of people or looking for friens who can actually help you out along the way?
  • nomoreyoyo67
    Options
    I have 50 lbs. to lose and want to do so by the end of the year. Feel free to add me:)
  • brandi712
    brandi712 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I have friends of all sizes, some are trying to lose, some are maintaining and others are bulking. I'm an equal opportunist. I love supporting everyone no matter what their goals are. Feel free to add me, but only if you don't think it's weird :wink:
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    No I don't. I have friends all shapes and sizes. Our goals are different. I like the diversity of my friends
  • Kaibrosky
    Kaibrosky Posts: 24
    Options
    I accept all friends no matter what their goals are. Means more support and motivation for where I want to go with this journey. Everyone has something different to offer. The only ones I may be iffy on are the judgemental ones.
  • VeePhillips
    VeePhillips Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have added an assortment of friends. Some have similar goals to mine ( I have a total goal of losing 139 lbs.) some are already a success story and some are in the maintenance stage of their journey. I feel that I have something that can be learned from each of them. I am trying to be somewhat selective just because I would like active friends that will be there if I need them to be and that I can also be there for.

Feel free to add me; I am active, I post several times a week and log everyday.
  • MsMaryMac48
    MsMaryMac48 Posts: 89 Member
    Options

I think it's a good idea to have friends that have
    1. Traveled the journey you are on and were successful
    2. Are traveling the journey you are on
    3. Are just beginning their journey

It's great to be able to gleen ideas from those that have done it, share your triumphs and trials with those on the same path, and encourage those that may be a few days behind you that need the benefit of your experience. If they inspire you I'd say add them. If you think you have something in common, add them. If you can inspire them... add them. And enjoy your new found friends on this journey.
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    No, it is not weird. But, you could learn a thing or two by expanding your horizons. I didn't join MFP to loose weight, I joined for other reasons.
  • GOAL_2016
    Options
    It's not that I don't want different perspectives, it's more... I dunno. I think it's more my own silly insecurities that I'm going to be judged or something. But it seems like that's more in my head than an actual fact. :)

Thanks for the input. I'm going to have a look around to see if I can find some more people who can offer support/motivation/advice/inspiration. :)