muscle soreness after weight lifting

Options
I just started weight lifting again and now feel like I have been hit by a truck. I know some soreness is normal but wow, I ache everywhere. It makes doing my job difficult. I'm a designer and have to go into peoples homes to measure areas which includes kneeling and stretching.
I did a full body workout, light weights, 3 set of 10, squats, step ups, lots of upper body and finished off with a brisk 20 minute walk on the track...
Any hints for getting over the aches or soothing them so I can do my job?

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I did a full body workout, light weights, 3 set of 10, squats, step ups, lots of upper body and finished off with a brisk 20 minute walk on the track...
    Any hints for getting over the aches or soothing them so I can do my job?

A) You're doing too much. "Lots of upper body" isn't necessary. Unless you're trying to become a bodybuilder, in which case you probably wouldn't be doing a full-body workout in the first place. Get on a legitimate beginner's program - StrongLifts or Starting Strength, for instance.

B) Keep lifting. Since you haven't lifted (apparently) for a while, it's normal to get sore. It'll go away.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    More exercise. Sounds insane, and it's hard to do, but when I'm hit with really bad DOMS I go for a jog. Also a HOT bath with Epsom salts is really helpful, too. Make sure you stretch really well after the bath though, or else as soon as your muscles cool off they'll tighten right back up again.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Ibuprofen, moving, stretching, water, protein.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    It's because you've just starting something new and your body is adapting to it. Once your body adapts the soreness will lessen each workout.

^ This pretty much sums it up.
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Stretching post-workout has helped me a lot with soreness :)
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    not a whole lot to do but tough it out and the above mentioned advice. Also stick to your routine and keep at it, if you do you will stop getting sore from it, if you try to take time off to compensate then your body will take longer to adjust and you will keep getting sore longer. Think of it as affirmation that you worked hard. Feel better soon!
  • Redheadllena
    Redheadllena Posts: 353 Member
    Options

Agreed. You're most sore after the first time getting back into lifting after a break. It'll get better the more you do it. I'm always sore (especially 2 days out) after lifting but it's nothing like the soreness after my first time/after a long break.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    It's because you've just starting something new and your body is adapting to it. Once your body adapts the soreness will lessen each workout.

this^^^

but I would also add that maybe you're doing too much volume just getting back into things. What program are you doing? I'd recommend keeping things pretty basic for awhile as excessive volume is going to jack your recovery up.

Just do full body...

A: Squats, Bench Press, Dead-lifts
    B: Squats, OH Press, Pendlay Rows

Maybe throw in some pull-ups or something...but at this point you don't need all of that upper body accessory work and it's just going to interfere with your recovery.

But by and large, yeah...you're just getting back into it and weight lifting is hard work.
  • czardastx
    czardastx Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Take it easy, make sure you're not trying to do to heavy too soon. As long as the soreness isn't debilitating then you'll be fine. Any severe and persistent pain (more than 2 or 3 days with no lessening of the level of pain) might mean a trip to a doctor. But general muscle soreness is to be expected with beginning weight training. Heck, even for someone lifting for a long time will experience sore muscles occasionally.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options

A: Squats, Bench Press, Dead-lifts
    B: Squats, OH Press, Pendlay Rows

Maybe throw in some pull-ups or something...but at this point you don't need all of that upper body accessory work and it's just going to interfere with your recovery.

But by and large, yeah...you're just getting back into it and weight lifting is hard work.

Great req!
  • JayDavila
    JayDavila Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above comments of you're doing too much, especially if you're starting again and your body is not back into workout mode. Also Lots for stretching before and after and lots of water. Nice hot shower or even an epson soak etc. I dont do the Ibuprofen etc because it is what it is, your working out.. you just may have over did it, but you're going to be somewhat soar for a few days, keep moving. (Now if you have real pain then I'd say take it) but soreness.. learn to like it and use it to help you understand what needs work [During proper workouts not what you just did LOL]

Good Luck you'll be fine, just take it slow, its a process don't rush it.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options

Yeah I should add that this is also helpful AFTER your workout as it can help prevent soreness as well. Well maybe everything but the Ibuprofen.

And last time I was sore I did about 30 minutes of yoga and I felt much better after.
  • Nikkiash667
    Nikkiash667 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Stretching before, but I just read an article that stretching after a work out is actually better for you.
    Yoga, five min of Yoga cools you down, slows heart rate, relieves stress in mind and body.