What is your deficit?

Options
Not sure what a good balance is for my body, so thought I'd get some advice from others. I have 150+ pounds to lose, and have lost 7 so far, but with a 1,000 calorie deficit, it's starting to move really slow, and I even gained after I had a "girls night" and went over.

I wanted to see better, and faster results, but without going into "starvation mode." So...what is your daily deficit? How much do you tend to lose per week? How much do you need to lose overall?

Thank you!

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    With 150lbs to lose 2lbs a week is appropriate for the first 50. You will be asked to re-evaluate about every 10lbs I believe.

As for the Girls night yah you didn't gain it's probably just water retention...

But if your weight loss is slowing down it could be because you are under estimating calorie intake and/or burns.

Your diary is closed so it's hard to tell for sure.

Do you weigh your solids and measure liquids????

As for seeing better results???? you are losing that is a great result..
    Faster...you didn't gain it fast...so don't expect this to be done in 6months or even a year...this will take time...be paitent.

My daily deficet is 300 calories...I tend to lose 1/2lb a week and since I only have 10lbs to lose that's okay with me...

I have lost almost 45lbs so far...with the next 10 it will be a total of 55...not sure if I will be done after that but I am taking a break and eating maintenance for a while (over the summer) and I will continue with my weight lifting to ensure I don't lose the strength I have gained over the last 25 weeks.
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say what kind of deficit you should be at, since we don't know your stats. I would think that TDEE - 20% or -25% would be good based on how much you are trying to lose. :smile:
  • Kara_Lisa
    Kara_Lisa Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    What stats do you need to know? I use a fitbit to calculate daily calorie burn and try to stay almost exactly at 1,000 calories. I know there are some things I haven't added, like a piece of gum or ketchup before, but for the most part, I track almost everything. I usually just quick add the calories instead of adding individual items, since it's faster for me. I would love any suggestions! I am hoping it is just water retention. :)
  • pepper176
    pepper176 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Just a thought - you might want to try adding each individual item for a few days (rather than quick adding) so you can take a look at your nutritional breakdown - I see a definite trend of weight stalling (or gaining) when I have too much sodium, and it goes right away as long as I stay under my sodium target and drink plenty of water the next day or so.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    What stats do you need to know? I use a fitbit to calculate daily calorie burn and try to stay almost exactly at 1,000 calories. I know there are some things I haven't added, like a piece of gum or ketchup before, but for the most part, I track almost everything. I usually just quick add the calories instead of adding individual items, since it's faster for me. I would love any suggestions! I am hoping it is just water retention. :)

there are a lot of online calculators but in reality they are all an estimate. the easiest way is to take your current lbs multiplied by 14. that is your rmr/bmr.. the deficit of 500 each day is one lb lost and 1000 is two lb lost but don't go any lower than that. see how this works for you for while before switching it out. in the meantime watch your sodium intake.. and drink lots of water. focus on getting a rounded nutritious day the best you can. take it one day and one week at a time. I know it gets tedious and you want it gone now but look at this as a lifestyle change and everytime you have a "setback" think of it more as a learning experience. Make good choices everyday and small changes when you can. You will get there. I suggest you write it all down. every single thing that goes into your mouth. I use mfp and a written food diary that I write in at all times. This way you can see what worked for you and why and when it isn't working you can tweek what you are doing/
  • 302cupcake
    Options

there are a lot of online calculators but in reality they are all an estimate. the easiest way is to take your current lbs multiplied by 14. that is your rmr/bmr.. the deficit of 500 each day is one lb lost and 1000 is two lb lost but don't go any lower than that. see how this works for you for while before switching it out. in the meantime watch your sodium intake.. and drink lots of water. focus on getting a rounded nutritious day the best you can. take it one day and one week at a time. I know it gets tedious and you want it gone now but look at this as a lifestyle change and everytime you have a "setback" think of it more as a learning experience. Make good choices everyday and small changes when you can. You will get there. I suggest you write it all down. every single thing that goes into your mouth. I use mfp and a written food diary that I write in at all times. This way you can see what worked for you and why and when it isn't working you can tweek what you are doing/

Weight times 14 does not give an accurate BMR, as it does not factor in age.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    If you just quick add, you don't know what your macro breakdown is. A lot of people who are overweight have some insulin sensitivities even if they aren't full blown diabetic or pre-diabetic. Most people who are overweight can do to cut carbs quite substantially...not necessarily low carb, but definitely moderate carbohydrate intake, especially if that individual is not particularly active.

I would suggest logging and making sure those calories are in line as well as the balance of your macro contents. I personally wouldn't go much above 40% of your diet in carbs if you have insulin sensitivities. Maybe even a bit less than that if you don't exercise with frequency or for any considerable duration or intensity.

Also, if you've cut a lot of fat and aren't meeting fat requisites, this can jack with your hormones and make weight loss more difficult. Fat is a highly essential macro nutrient. Obviously, get plenty of protein.
  • Kara_Lisa
    Kara_Lisa Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    If you just quick add, you don't know what your macro breakdown is. A lot of people who are overweight have some insulin sensitivities even if they aren't full blown diabetic or pre-diabetic. Most people who are overweight can do to cut carbs quite substantially...not necessarily low carb, but definitely moderate carbohydrate intake, especially if that individual is not particularly active.

I would suggest logging and making sure those calories are in line as well as the balance of your macro contents. I personally wouldn't go much above 40% of your diet in carbs if you have insulin sensitivities. Maybe even a bit less than that if you don't exercise with frequency or for any considerable duration or intensity.

Also, if you've cut a lot of fat and aren't meeting fat requisites, this can jack with your hormones and make weight loss more difficult. Fat is a highly essential macro nutrient. Obviously, get plenty of protein.

Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions! I am going to log everything instead of quick add and open my diary. Please feel free to add me as a friend. I could use the advice, as I want to be as successful as possible right now. Appreciate it!
  • jmsspr93
    jmsspr93 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    My Diary says 2200 to lose something I believe. But I always leave it so there is 1500 remaining. I think my maintenance is more near 2500-3000. Save MY daily defecit is 1800-2300 Per day. Net is 700-800 and I do 500-600 Calories on the Exercise bike too, So My food would be 1200-1300