Parenting/food advice need - 8 year old boy, ADHD

Options
2»

Replies

• Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I have ADHD. I also have an 8 year old son who is a picky eater and likes to snack. First off I'd ditch the meds entirely speaking from experience. Second, find the fruits and veggies that he does like and keep them around. If he doesn't finish his dinner, wrap it up and save it for later when he want's a snack. Sometimes kids with ADHD just cant eat because there is something else taking priority at that moment that literally makes it impossible to think about anything else. It's rooted in compulsive behavior, and takes substantial time and effort to overcome, and it won't happen until he is old enough to recognize it. I was lucky and started to do so in my late teens, but I have family members who have gone into their late twenties and early thirties before they could control it.

Lose the meds, in the long run they will destroy him.

Rigger

I agree with the majority of this ... some kids can do fine without meds, others need them at least temporarily (from experience as a child, sibling, mother, and teacher of individuals with ADHD). So that part I would think carefully about. But the rest ... makes a lot of sense. My son with ADHD has some sensory/ texture issues. Some foods he just can't choke down (or, now that he's a bit older, he'll give it another try, but really can't) For him, it's most white pastas and anything mushy. I agree to have just healthful snacks around. If stuff isn't in the house, he will have a harder time sneaking it. I've taught my kids that apples are fair game, they don't even have to ask, and that's the first thing they go for. Veggies with ranch dip are another favorite here ... you have to find what works for you.

As far as meals go, I agree that sometimes a child with attention deficit can have a hard time sitting still long enough to eat. Save it for later, and also again have healthy alternatives. I still fix some of the foods my son doesn't like (his siblings LOVE mac & cheese, for example, but he can't get it down), but it's only part of the meal, so he eats what he does like and I don't serve him what he doesn't. As long as there are healthy options, don't stress it too much.

What's his activity level like? It seems like a weird question to ask about a kid with ADHD, but the medicine may be making him enough less active that it could be having an effect on his weight. Get him outside and doing stuff - tossing a football or baseball, riding a bike, or whatever else appeals to him. Give him activity breaks during homework and chore time. It will help him focus on those tasks when he comes back, plus up the calories burned.

And finally, I know you were trying to give us some perspective, but be very careful of comparing him to his sister. He does that enough already, and always sees where he comes up short. Compare him to himself, his own progress, his own achievements (and his own growth curves ... that part is a valid concern). While this isn't specifically about diet, overhearing, or even sensing that there is any feeling that his sister is 'better' can definitely cause issues. And food may be one thing he feels like he can control; there are so many things that he struggles to control, that maybe he's reaching for one thing that is more sure. So try to help and support him in learning to control other small things.

I know I've rambled a bit ... I hope that you can find the important/helpful points. (Did I mention I also have some ADD)
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    This might work as a strategy....I just did it last night with my almost 8yo's and I thought of this thread.

serve in a muffin tin. It is fun and they love to see such a plethora of options - even if one spot just has a little in it (like one spot had one marshmallow in it) then the good stuff has a bigger portion.. They think it is awesome for a change of pace, it builds in variety, and automatic portion control.
  • Burstingintolife
    Burstingintolife Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    One more thing, indirectly related... I couldn't afford a trampoline, but I started watching for one on craigslist and it didn't take long before I found one, used, for significantly less. Both of my sons love it, but particularly my son with adhd. Maybe this is something your boy would like?... And if he does, there's no doubt that it would be good exercise for him. Other things you can look for, used, on craigslist (or similar sites), that may motivate him to be more active: basketball goals, workout equipment, punching bags, boxing gloves, pull up bars. You may have already thought of all of this, but thought I'd throw it out there just in case.
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I'm not a parent, but my sister does something with my nephew that might work for you.

Each day she sets his snacks in a basket on the table (using a post-it note with "cheese stick" on it for things that need to stay in the fridge) and he gets to decide when to eat which thing throughout the day. He cannot go rummaging through the pantry whenever he wants. If he really wants to eat something he must pick from the basket options. He likes having the choice and she likes being able to control the kinds of snacks he eats.
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    You all have some really awesome suggestions, thank you so much! I really liked the idea about having the same snack every day, with an option to upgrade it, and the one about having a basket of snacks to choose from.

None of my friends have ADHD kids, so it can be hard to get relevant input from them- that's why I asked here, to get some additional perspective. I'm not looking for medical advice, just parenting strategies.

To answer some of the questions. We go to the pediatrician for ADHD medication, and I plan to stay with him. His son is 12 years old with ADHD, so he has lived through much of what I have, and he has made it a point to study this condition. We got very lucky that the first medication we tried worked, and we have just needed to increase the dosage as he grows.

We will go back to therapy with my son's psychologist, but I don't plan to add a psychiatrist at this time. Occupational therapy was helpful too, but I only have so much $/time to dedicate to therapy and doctor's visits each month.

My son is so much happier on the medication than not. Before medication he was so impulsive that kids did not want to spend any time with him, he was not able to complete any schoolwork without 1:1 support, and something as simple as playing a game of Sorry was so frustrating for him. With the medication, he has become very self aware and knows when he is doing a good job focusing as well as when he is struggling. Now that he knows the difference, he tries very hard to focus even when the medication is starting to wear off or if we forget it for a day. He has made a lot of friends, and his schoolwork is improving.

His activity level is too low in the winter, but the weight gain started well before that. I hate the cold & snow, so I haven't been the best about getting him outside to play. Recess at school is only 15 minutes, and has been cancelled for most of the winter due to everything being covered in snow. He takes an hour-long karate class twice a week, and we try to do one active family activity per weekend, like a hike or skating. Thank goodness baseball season will start soon, and it will be warm enough to ride bikes!
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Long cold winters are the WORST.