Trying to keep it low carb/high protein

Options
I have been doing well this past week, keeping my carbs to a minimum, single digits actually, for each meal. I made lunch today, Neely's Roasted broccoli and tomatoes. I was surprised to learn that it has 20g of carbs. I ended up not finishing it and putting it away for tomorrow, maybe eat just a little bit from that. I have read that anything above 9 carbs is considered high. Seeing 20g freaked me out a little bit and now I am concerned. My Endo put me on this low carb/high protein diet and I am keeping to it. But….should I worry? I mean, it's broccoli, tomatoes, olive oil and spices. Anyway, please share input, especially from those of you on a low carb/high protein diet. And thanks so much:)

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I believe most people consider low carb to be under 100g a day or something like that. You are fine though. No need to worry. Just carry on.
  • Nanba007
    Nanba007 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Husband and I are on low carb/high protein and we try to stay uncer 30/50 carbs for the day and 70/90 grams of protein. I think you will have to find your own balance.
  • cinnamonkitty
    Options
    I am vegetarian and diabetic and I wouldn't dream of keeping my carbs that low. Carbs are ok and necessary. I eat my daily allotment of carbs- 45 per meal and 15-30 for 2 snacks. I also eat a minimum of protein and I lose weight just fine. The low carb thing isn't really necessary to losing weight so relax a bit and enjoy instead of freaking out.
  • GodzillaR35
    GodzillaR35 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I weight 210 lbs,i am at about 80 gms of carbs of day and about 225 to 250gms of protein a day.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    That's actually a very low carb diet. You could eat a bit more than that and still be low carb. Anything under 20g per day is very low carb and not meant to be sustained for more than a week or two.
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I have been doing well this past week, keeping my carbs to a minimum, single digits actually, for each meal. I made lunch today, Neely's Roasted broccoli and tomatoes. I was surprised to learn that it has 20g of carbs. I ended up not finishing it and putting it away for tomorrow, maybe eat just a little bit from that. I have read that anything above 9 carbs is considered high. Seeing 20g freaked me out a little bit and now I am concerned. My Endo put me on this low carb/high protein diet and I am keeping to it. But….should I worry? I mean, it's broccoli, tomatoes, olive oil and spices. Anyway, please share input, especially from those of you on a low carb/high protein diet. And thanks so much:)

Refined sugars, refined flour, white breads, etc. those are what you should probably watch out for.
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Net carbs? Don't forget to subtract the fiber from the total carbohydrate.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options

Refined sugars, refined flour, white breads, etc. those are what you should probably watch out for.
    Except your body can't really tell if sugar is from fruit or if it's from a candy bar...

If your Endo told you to eat a certain way, I would go with asking the medical professional with what your specific goals are and WHY because this would lead me to believe you have a medical reason as to why you need to keep your carbs in check and your protein high. If you count total carbs or net carbs, what your daily total should be, etc. Those are details your Endo should be answering for you. It also depends...9g for you for a meal may be high for YOU, but for people doing a low calorie diet that would be very low. Also, if you're talking NET carbs then your meal would be 20g of effective carbs since both tomatoes and broccoli have fiber in them.

If you are looking to up your protein, then you could add in chicken, beef, pork, whatever meat you choose to that meal.
  • Fit_Mama84
    Fit_Mama84 Posts: 234 Member
    Options

I think it depends on why your doctor put you on the low carb diet. If it's just to speed weightloss, I can't see why those types of carbs would be an issue. You might lose weight a little slower, but they should be okay otherwise. But if it's another reason, then you should probably stick to what your doctor recommends. I know it can be hard, but if your health depends on it, then it is worth it.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, colored vegetables are higher in carbs than green vegetables. Tomatoes (4.3 grams carbs per 1/4 cup), carrots (5.6 grams carbs per medium carrot), onion and squash are good examples of vegetables with higher carb counts then vegetables like celery (0.8 grams carbs per stalk), cucumber (1.0 grams carbs per 1.2 cup), broccoli (1.7 grams carbs per 1/2 cup), lettuce greens and mushrooms If you need to keep your carbs as low as you say, you should stick with greater amounts of green veggies and moderate the higher carb veggies.

I'm not advocating their nutritional plan, but the Atkins website has a great list of low carb foods with their carb values that should help you out. http://www.atkins.com/Program/Phase-1/What-You-Can-Eat-in-this-Phase.aspx At the very least, you might find some foods on here that might surprise you and some that you can try to keep your diet interesting.

Good luck!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I read that between 100g and 150g of carbs is weight loss, under 100g is keto. I try and keep mine around 100 - 120g a day. My protein is usually around 85g a day. It's tough to reach your calorie goals doing low carb, but that just means you eat more ;)