(Comparatively) low-calorie chicken salad

Options
MissLCWolff
MissLCWolff Posts: 69 Member
My mother taught me this trick to reducing the calories and fat in chicken or seafood salads awhile ago, and since I just made a big batch of chicken salad today, I thought I'd share! By using an equal mixture of light mayonnaise and plain yogurt, you cut hundreds of calories (about 600 by my calculations) from the recipe total that you would have had with regular mayonnaise, and it tastes the same or better than the high-calorie version.

12 oz grilled boneless skinless chicken breast, diced into smallish cubes
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup chopped apples
1/2 cup light mayonnaise
1/2 cup plain yogurt (regular if you like a thinner/more liquid dressing, nonfat Greek if you like a thicker/drier dressing)

Mix chicken, celery, and apples in a large bowl and set aside. In a smaller bowl, combine mayo and yogurt until consistency is smooth throughout, then thoroughly stir into the ingredients in the large bowl.

Makes 4 cups, 205 calories per cup. If you want to add, modify, or remove ingredients, make sure you calculate how much that changes the calorie count of the recipe.

Replies

• jazchlo
    jazchlo Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy! I don't really like lite Miracle Whip but was recommended to use it. With the yogurt it may be good and possibly fewer calories.
  • luztrella
    luztrella Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Love the yogurt idea! Thanks!
  • Foodiethinking
    Foodiethinking Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Not sure where the 600cal saving comes from...