Should I sign up for a 5K?

Options
2»

Replies

• handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    I wasnt clear are you still doing intervels? or just running up to a mile and then losing energy?

If its the latter let me suggest this to you...keep doing what your doing,,,adding a little bit each time..but when you hit that limit...walk the rest till you hit 5k.

You can tell yourself that youve been the distance! and then its just a matter of eating that distance with more running over time.

Unless you think you would injure yourself by doing the race,,,i see no reason not to do it.

I am still doing intervals, but trying to make them longer and start stringing some distance together. I did run a straight mile, and really I didn't keep on because of some wicked abdominal cramps. After that, I was pretty worn out, but did manage a few more intervals. You are saying push as far as I can, and then after I am done, don't mess with any more intervals? I actually thought about that myself. Because once I stop (even briefly) getting going again is WAY harder than that first longer interval.

yea if you get to a mile and your too tired to any more running..see if you can walk the rest of the way. that way that mental barrier of the distance has been broken..and you can concentrate on improving the intervals
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Reading through the posts, and can't quite tell.

Have you completed a full 3.1 miles in one training session?
  • beckty
    beckty Posts: 118 Member
    Options

Not yet. Little over 2. More because of time constraints than anything. I am going to be making more time for the next few weeks.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Go for it. You probably have that extra mile in you and don't realize it. Just don't start out too fast.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Yep, sign up for the 5k.
    And Id also suggest from here on in, get yourself a 5k route and keep doing that. Even walking it all, 5ks wont take longer than 45-50 mins. And keep going how you have been so far, as it seems to be working for you:-). So, run your mile, take a walk break, then run a bit more. Repeat as needed until the 5k is done and you're back home.

FWIW I started off round and slow, and couldn't jog for 30 seconds. The biggest lesson I learned was to go slowly- you should be jogging and not running. I had to learn how to jog.

Good luck with it all!
  • TealStar13
    Options
    Do it! Do it! They are some of the most fun I've had in my life. Whether you do them by yourself or with friends it's a great feeling when you get your first one done. I was scared of my first one, Graffiti Run back in Jan '13, best decision of my life! In Jan '14 I ran my first half marathon, the PF Chang 1/2 in Phoenix, AZ. It was the greatest feeling in the world. :) I highly recommend it. I'm itching for another half and looking to start training for a full. I'm addicted I tell ya. Wish you the best in this decision.
  • PokernuttAR
    PokernuttAR Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Absolutely go for it! I did this 2 years ago and I'm glad I did. I could barely do 1 mile on the treadmill too so I did walk a few times during the race...along with many others. Be sure to take pics, you'll want to remember this race. It took me 33 minutes the first year, and 30 in year two. I'm looking to beat my time again on 3/8, wish me luck!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Not yet. Little over 2. More because of time constraints than anything. I am going to be making more time for the next few weeks.

IMHO, I think you're ready to complete it. Make sure you start towards the back of the pack and don't set a time goal, just a completion goal
  • Tdk4685
    Tdk4685 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
  • Strongandhealthy1234
    Options
    Sounds like you can barely run a mile. If you just want to finish then sign up for 5 k. If you want to get a good time and a quality run then no. I'd just keep increasing distance in your training till you are confident and know for sure you can do it.
  • 2Dozen
    2Dozen Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Yes, and all i read was the title.
  • alathIN
    alathIN Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    For me, signing up for an event is a motivation, target, and focus for my training. It works best if the event is coming up soon enough that I feel some deadline pressure, but far enough down the road that I can work at it over time and see some improvement in that interval. With that in mind, two weeks may be a bit short for that.

But do sign up for some kind of 5k or some other event, somewhere sometime.

Ideal for now would vary according to how much pressure you need to motivate you, and what your training goals are.

I set a goal of two swim meets in early December; I did the first one two weeks ago and the second one is going to be in mid-March.

My next run event is in early May.

Those timelines work well for me, keep me motivated, make me want to get up early and train. YMMV.

Oh, by the way, don't set your participation in an event based on some arbitrary level of performance. Just go and do your best is good enough. When I go run half marathons, I frequently see people who go out and walk the whole 13 miles. Good for them: they're getting a lot better exercise than people staying home. If you have to do run-walk intervals for the whole 5k, that's fine.
  • beckty
    Options
    Absolutely go for it! I did this 2 years ago and I'm glad I did. I could barely do 1 mile on the treadmill too so I did walk a few times during the race...along with many others. Be sure to take pics, you'll want to remember this race. It took me 33 minutes the first year, and 30 in year two. I'm looking to beat my time again on 3/8, wish me luck!

Good Luck!!!! I just found out my husband can't do it with me, so I'll be 10% on my own. This totally freaks me out, but it'll be an opportunity to climb outside my box.
  • beckty
    Options

IMHO, I think you're ready to complete it. Make sure you start towards the back of the pack and don't set a time goal, just a completion goal

Thanks so much. The encouragement helps when self doubt creeps into the back of my thoughts.
  • SHHitsKaty
    SHHitsKaty Posts: 301
    Options
    I ran my first 5k with absolutely no training, coming from the background of someone who didn't run unless I was being forced to by gun point or running from someone with a gun. Now I am running races every single weekend of March and training for a half marathon in May. You'll be surprised what just being at a race can do for your motivation, even if you have to stop and walk, finishing is the goal!
  • seren1ty74
    seren1ty74 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    YES! I am going to start couch to 5k or some version of it this weekend. signing up for a June 5K then a Sept. one to motivate myself!