Having vietmanese dinner for the first time...

Options
Vietnamese* whoops! :smooched:

what the hell can i eat that won't sabotage my sodium/carb levels??

Having it for the first time tonight with the in-laws.

I puff up like a blowfish if i go over sodium goals and it can leave me feeling uncomfy in the tummy.

I have pcos so i like to keep my carb grams to 30 at each meal with protein.

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Sodium may be a problem, or at least it is for me with just about all restaurant food.

Pho is a great option, especially if you stay away from the beef versions. You can ask for no noodles that way you are just eating broth, meat, bean spouts, etc.
  • urban_ninja
    urban_ninja Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm vietnamese so I'm well aware of all the dishes. Most dishes are rice based so it'll be hard to avoid. Pho may be your best option and opt for the Pho Tai. It's sliced eye round steak. The meatball, brisket, and flank are typically cooked with salt before they add it but not the eye round steak. Also, stay away from the nuoc mam (fish sauce); it's riddled with sodium.

Not all vietnamese restaurants have egg noodle dishes but you can ask and many places will oblige.

The vermicelli dishes have slightly less carbs than rice so another choice is Bun Thit Nuong. It's a grilled pork and rice noodle dish but they usually serve the fish sauce on the side.

Enjoy!
  • will2lose72
    will2lose72 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm vietnamese so I'm well aware of all the dishes. Most dishes are rice based so it'll be hard to avoid. Pho may be your best option and opt for the Pho Tai. It's sliced eye round steak. The meatball, brisket, and flank are typically cooked with salt before they add it but not the eye round steak. Also, stay away from the nuoc mam (fish sauce); it's riddled with sodium.

Not all vietnamese restaurants have egg noodle dishes but you can ask and many places will oblige.

The vermicelli dishes have slightly less carbs than rice so another choice is Bun Thit Nuong. It's a grilled pork and rice noodle dish but they usually serve the fish sauce on the side.

Enjoy!

Love, love Bun with broken rice and marinated pork and always end up overdoing it with the hoisin sauce too. Ahhh, thanks for the alternative suggestions!
  • CrusherKun
    CrusherKun Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm....Now i want me some Pho with double helping of tendon and tripe!!!

Yummmmmmmm!

Good luck on the low sodium....not going to be easy. Maybe you will get lucky and find the place very willing to keep it to a minimum and no MSG!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    My wife likes to keep it lower so she usually get a papaya/mango salad with shrimp. The payaya/mango is usually shredded and mixed with some tomatoes and other vegetables depending on restaurant.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • PunkyDucky
    PunkyDucky Posts: 283 Member
    Options

Enjoy!

Thank you soo much! :)

I'll have to look for those choices on the menu tonight
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    The Vietnamese place I go to has some delicious spring rolls with shrimp & chicken inside, veggies and its wrapped in the rice paper.

My best advice is try anything, but avoid the sauces. The sauces are where most of the sodium and sugar will be hiding.
  • lynnkieu
    lynnkieu Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm Vietnamese too! I LOVE Vietnamese food! Since I've been on my weightloss journey, I've had to find substitutions to make some dishes more figure friendly.

Are your in-laws making Vietnamese food or are you all going out to a restaurant? If they are making the food, let me suggest that you go get yourself a bag of Kelp Noodles (6 cal/serving, 1 gram carbs/serving) to use in replacement of Rice Noodles (200 cal/serving, 48 g carbs/serving). You should be able to find these at your local health food store.

yc7zWFS.jpg?1

Using the kelp noodles, have them make you some fresh spring rolls (Goi Cuon). The rice paper will have a little bit of carbs but not much (as long as you don't end up eating a ton of them). The rest of the filling may have some lean meat and fresh veggies and herbs. So delish. And as Stvsan says, avoid the nuoc cham for dipping. Maybe try peanut sauce instead to lower the sodium intake.

uBWkTBu.jpg?1

Now if you're going out to a restaurant, I would order the Vietnamese Chicken Salad (Goi Ga). It's basically cabbage, shredded chicken, and other fresh veggies and herbs. Ask for the dressing on the side so you can control how much you use. This will keep you on the safe side of carbs and sodium.

Gs14C6C.jpg?1

(I would not get Pho, rice noodles have TONS of carbs.)
  • msdoan
    msdoan Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My vote is in for Pho or Bun Thit Nuong as well! My husband is Vietnamese and we are always trying to tweek the recipe so that it still tastes amazing but cuts a lot of the sodium. Either way, enjoy the food-it is amazing!
  • PunkyDucky
    PunkyDucky Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm Vietnamese too! I LOVE Vietnamese food! Since I've been on my weightloss journey, I've had to find substitutions to make some dishes more figure friendly.

Are your in-laws making Vietnamese food or are you all going out to a restaurant? If they are making the food, let me suggest that you go get yourself a bag of Kelp Noodles (6 cal/serving, 1 gram carbs/serving) to use in replacement of Rice Noodles (200 cal/serving, 48 g carbs/serving). You should be able to find these at your local health food store.

yc7zWFS.jpg?1

Using the kelp noodles, have them make you some fresh spring rolls (Goi Cuon). The rice paper will have a little bit of carbs but not much (as long as you don't end up eating a ton of them). The rest of the filling may have some lean meat and fresh veggies and herbs. So delish. And as Stvsan says, avoid the nuoc cham for dipping. Maybe try peanut sauce instead to lower the sodium intake.

uBWkTBu.jpg?1

Now if you're going out to a restaurant, I would order the Vietnamese Chicken Salad (Goi Ga). It's basically cabbage, shredded chicken, and other fresh veggies and herbs. Ask for the dressing on the side so you can control how much you use. This will keep you on the safe side of carbs and sodium.

Gs14C6C.jpg?1

(I would not get Pho, rice noodles have TONS of carbs.)

Wow! Thank you for all the info.
    We're going out to a restaurant. So i'll look for salad options too :)
  • impromark
    impromark Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    While it's not *strictly* Vietnamese, most restaurants will serve straight up wonton noodle soup (hoanh thanh mi) which may be a lighter option witht he egg noodles at least.

The vermicelli dishes usually help as well. As noted, avoid the sauces where you can, and ditto for portions. I still eat pho plenty often, but no longer the "XL" portions they offer. Sure it's only $1 more, but HOW long will you be working it off? :)

Mark
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Remember, don't be embarrassed to take your leftovers home. Restaurant portions are usually huge.

PS: Now I want Vietnamese food but the nearest Vietnamese restaurant is 30 miles away.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    My wife likes to keep it lower so she usually get a papaya/mango salad with shrimp. The payaya/mango is usually shredded and mixed with some tomatoes and other vegetables depending on restaurant.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

That sounds soooo good...