Overworked, overstressed, overeating

Options
Hello everyone,

I just joined MFP in hopes of gaining a sense of control over my stress-related eating. I don't have much weight to lose (I'm aiming for 10 - 15 pounds) and I am a recently retired athlete, so I am in decent shape. However, my real challenge is to learn how to cope with stress without resorting to food, especially during recent times of truly overwhelming, nonstop work deadlines. I am hoping to build a lifelong balanced, healthy attitude towards my body and my weight. I really can't continue on this horrible cycle of being stressed out, eating an entire box of chocolates when nobody is looking, and then feeling disgusted with myself. I really look forward to learning from everyone on the MFP community!

Happy Tuesday!

Replies

• Dressdrive10
    Dressdrive10 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello AstorMiles,

I also work in quite a stressful environment and turn to food for comfort - but am trying to turn to apples ;)

I do some yoga every other day and really try to meditate every day.

In fact I must sign off now and meditate.

Please put me on your friends list, if you like.

Best wishes!
  • faelight
    faelight Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    You can do it :) Congrats for taking the big first steps in facing what you want to change and coming here for support! :)
    I used to overeat all kinds of unhealthy food very emotionally due to high stress and sadness. I went to a counselor to talk about these things, to get them out in the open and learn new ways to cope. I started doing things like yoga, and dancing, and playing with arts and crafts, and reaching for healthier foods for comfort (because there's really nothing wrong with enjoying our food and letting it comfort us). It's all about taking small steps (and sometimes big leaps) in the direction that feels good and healthy for you. Best wishes :)
  • AstorMiles
    AstorMiles Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! It seems like emotional overeating is a big monster for many of us. I could not agree more: small steps in the direction that feels healthy. So far this week I've been doing pretty well... I'm sure I will take downturns, but hey, that's life. Just the fact that we're heading into spring makes me feel hopeful already!
  • kilverstone
    kilverstone Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You have taken the first and often hardest step, you've recognized and given voice to the problem, emotional eating. I too have struggled with this and up until a few years ago had an unhealthy relationship with food. Stress and depression lead to overeating, emotional eating and unfortunate eating and lifestyle habits in general. Good for you for knowing when to ask for help and finding a place that can help you reach your goals. Feel free to add me as I am always looking to help others reach their health and fitness goals. :)
  • TheBadToe
    TheBadToe Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for support, tips, jokes, or a friend you can add me. That goes for the rest of ya too.