Eliminating Sugars from diet - QUESTION?!

Options
So today I decided I am going to try to mostly eliminate processed sugar from my diet. Everyone I talk to who lost a ton of weight did this.

I know I am going to get some still because of my lifestyle but I want to drastically cut back.

I have been told the easiest way to do this is just eliminate as much processed food as you can and wa-la - you've done it.

But one question. I ate a SMART ONES frozen meal today. It only had 3g of sugar. Is that a trick do you think - are there other sugars (high fructose, etc) that are in there but they don't have to list? It just seems like 3g sugar is pretty low anyway and not much to worry about.

Replies

• BamaGirl777
    Options
    Are you just looking at sugars or total carbs?:smile:
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    So today I decided I am going to try to mostly eliminate processed sugar from my diet. Everyone I talk to who lost a ton of weight did this.

I know I am going to get some still because of my lifestyle but I want to drastically cut back.

I have been told the easiest way to do this is just eliminate as much processed food as you can and wa-la - you've done it.

But one question. I ate a SMART ONES frozen meal today. It only had 3g of sugar. Is that a trick do you think - are there other sugars (high fructose, etc) that are in there but they don't have to list? It just seems like 3g sugar is pretty low anyway and not much to worry about.

First. and really the most important thing here, is that it is not "wa-la" but voila.

Secondly, you don't need to cut out "processed sugars" to lose weight. All you gotta do is eat at a calorie deficit.

Thirdly, read the ingredients on the package. If it says something like "sugar" or "high fructose corn syrup" or any other myriad of names they use for sugar, then yes, it has "processed sugars" in it.

Finally, your maximum amount recommended by the AHA is 37.5 grams per day. So it's not a lot, depending on what else you eat.
  • KelSquash
    KelSquash Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Sugar isn't something frozen meals tend to add, sodium is where those will get you. Depending on what it's contents are, chances are it's your "healthy" sugar that are normally there. For example, milk has around 7-9g of sugar. It's naturally occurring.

Read the label closely. High fructose corn syrup should be on the labels when you buy it if it is in the food. If it is anything with a glaze, gravy, sauce, cream... that's likely where they added the sugar. If it's pretty plain, chances are it's naturally occurring.
  • threshkreen
    threshkreen Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    4g sugar = 1 tsp of granulated sugar. Remember that when you look at a bottle of soda...but do that sitting down because it will knock your socks off when you figure out how many tsp of sugar are in your favorite soda!

I know someone that lost a lot of weight and has kept it off for years with an older diet called Sugar Busters. I think the book is still out there...I really don't know anymore than that about the diet.

You are correct that staying away from processed foods is probably the best way to go. It seems like added sugar is in everything these days and yes, way too much salt. Also, remember most simple carbs turn to sugar while still in your mouth as they are broken down by saliva and chewing...so white bread, etc. should most like be a no no. There is tons of information out there on cutting out sugar, insulin resistance, glycemic index, glycemic load - all these address the effect sugar has on your body. I am sure there are a zillion articles on this right here on MFP.

Also, try to stay away from even the diet frozen foods....I never feel satisfied after one of them even though I may be eating the same number of calories in something I bring from home. I just feel better and more satisfied eating what I call "real" food. Good luck and congratulations on taking your first steps!
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    in 4 teh shugar toxinz talks
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    You are correct that staying away from processed foods is probably the best way to go. It seems like added sugar is in everything these days and yes, way too much salt. Also, remember most simple carbs turn to sugar while still in your mouth as they are broken down by saliva and chewing...so white bread, etc. should most like be a no no. There is tons of information out there on cutting out sugar, insulin resistance, glycemic index, glycemic load - all these address the effect sugar has on your body. I am sure there are a zillion articles on this right here on MFP.
    awesome
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    is this a troll thread?
  • huneydrop
    huneydrop Posts: 84
    Options
    You should try making your own frozen meals. There are so many meals out there that can be made in large batches and frozen in ziplocks or containers which makes meals so easy and the best part is you know exactly what you are eating, no mystery ingredients. I cook once a week on Sundays for the rest of the week, my weeknights are my own.

Sugars naturally occur in fruit and vegetables so you will get some sugar (unless you are omitting these things completely?). If you are eating REAL food (no prepackaged crap) you will be able to control your exposure to added sugars greatly. Read labels and pick simple foods you can create wonderful things with on your own.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options

if there is a trick, its that ALL carbs get metabolized into glucose in order for your body to absorb them.

so called 'complex carbs' in processed foods just as white bread will actually turn into glucose and enter your blood stream faster then an 'sugar' does.

unless your doctor says to avoid carbs, its not needed.

If you enjoy denying yourself then by all means
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    awesome

if you look at the glycemic index of a lot of foods, it becomes obvious that the only scape goats (candy, donuts) are not really 'as bad' as begals, white bread.

but then you go a little further down the road and you start discovering all the other 'lies' out there told with good intentions.

the end game is that you realize (for better or for worse) calories in vs. calories out IS THE ONLY THING THAT CAN MATTER. anything else is a needless complication based on scientific truth that is blown out of proportion.
  • secretsofmanna
    secretsofmanna Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I would recommend taking a nutrition class if you want to understand your health better, but for now I'll give you a quick lesson. Calories in v. out is definitely a great start for weight loss, but you will make more progress faster by eating right. If you eat only 1200 calories a day and burn 1500 thats great, but if your 1200 calories came from very fatty and sugary foods, you will make little improvement versus eating 1200 calories of NUTRIENT DENSE foods.

Your body needs carbohydrates (which break down into sugar) for energy. The problem is usually with moderation and processed foods which take away all the vitamins that come with healthy, natural food.

Carbs: Whole grain/wheat (not 'multigrain', '9grain', or 'brown') > enriched wheat > white/processed wheat. Healthy carbs give you energy and vitamins which will help you when you do increase your exercise. They also make you feel more full.

Sugar: Fructose and glucose occur naturally in grains, fruits, and vegetables. Lactose is the sugar found in milk. These sugars are healthy in moderation because they give you energy and the food you find them in has other vitamins that make losing weight easier and improve your overall health. You want to cut things like corn syrup which are just man-made additives to make food sweeter unnaturally.

Fat: There are also healthy fats such as the kind found in avocados! They keep your skin and hair healthy. Cut out "trans fat" which will be listed on nutritional labels.

Fiber: This is more important than you might think! Fiber will help move everything through and improve your metabolism.

Water!!: I hate drinking water personally, but it`s essential for weight loss. Water will help fill you up (especially when combined with carbs or fiber), keep you hydrated, and keep your insides clean.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    To the OP, please research IIFYM or go to IIFYM.com and read up. I promise this will make your weight loss much easier.

There is no need to cut out ANYTHING in your diet.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Thirdly, read the ingredients on the package. If it says something like "sugar" or "high fructose corn syrup" or any other myriad of names they use for sugar, then yes, it has "processed sugars" in it.

This ^^

For now, the nutrition label likely does not differentiatie between naturally occurring and added sugars. And, since ingredients must be listed in descending order by weight, manufacturers will often use several different types of added sugar so that the first ingredient listed will not be "sugar", even though added sugars may top the list if they were grouped together.

Examples of added "sugars": Agave nectar, Evaporated cane juice, Malt syrup, Brown sugar, Fructose, Maple syrup, Cane crystals, Fruit juice concentrates, Molasses, Cane sugar, Glucose, Raw sugar, Corn sweetener, High-fructose corn syrup, Sucrose, Corn syrup, Honey, Syrup, Crystalline fructose, Invert sugar, Dextrose, Maltose
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,927 Member
    Options

Yup it's the reduction in calorie dense processed foods that attribute to weight loss for many people that can't seem to manage their sugar intake to well. <up your protein to compensate and that should help as well.
  • EmilyT1994
    Options
    I never trust processed foods either.
    I don't even trust tinned veg.
    It's so confusing and you can never be sure, so the best thing to do is just to eat fresh.
    I eat one meal a day consisting of about 100g of veg and some meat, which I then dress up myself.
    Even if that means making homemade chicken nuggets, at least you know what's in it.
    You can always make ready meals yourself too. I'm trying to get a little reserve so that when I'm in a rush I can just pop one in the microwave and don't reach for whatever's quickest, regardless of healthiness.
    Chilli con carne made with veggie mince is good =)
  • threshkreen
    threshkreen Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I think the new Nutrient label coming out will show added sugars. But, and this is silly, the sample I saw had dropped calories from fat. I know that that number was not a true reflection of how high the fat was unless you did a little mental math, but it was always a good starting point for me! I do like the added sugar part though.