Do you get used to drinking all this water? (Peeing really)

Options
Alright - so I have recommitted myself to this journey and this weeks focus is called drink a lot of water. They say it makes you eat less. They say you think your body is hungry but you really are thirsty so drink water. They say the quintessential part of your day should be consuming half your weight in water.

Well, for starters, I'm a big chick - all the girls in my family, cousins and and aunts and 2nd cousins - we are all big girls. So half my weight in water ounces is roughly 140 oz. That is like 18 cups of water. THAT IS A LOT OF WATER!

Today I managed about 12 cups which is more than I am use to. I have had the worst migraine ever. I figure its because the cells are exchanging at a more substantial rate to bring the body into a new homeostasis and once I drink water like this on a daily basis I will feel better and weigh less........BUT IN THE BETWEEN TIME

I have peed more than I pee in a week in one day!!!!!!!!!!

I seriously had to go - go within 20 minutes of what seemed like the longest pee ever - this is not cool and does it every stop

Signed up Early because, yep, you guessed it, had to go!
:grumble: :angry: :mad: :explode: :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed:

Replies

• GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    It's possible to drink too much water and it can cause electrolyte imbalance (which can lead to dizziness). Instead of drastically increasing water consumption you are probably better off starting with 8 cups as a goal (more if you do heaps of exercise or live in a hot climate). Drink small sips throughout the day and make sure your urine is a pale yellow. If it's totally clear then you are likely over-hydrated.
  • Mady1911
    Mady1911 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi, there...I'm on Mfp since August last year...but I still find it difficult with water. In all honesty I have tried myself to drink more but all I succeeded was being close to make myself vomit. So I turned to other options...I drink herbal tea: fennel, mint, peppermint, camomile and fruity ones: forest fruits, lemons, strawberry, spiced apples, ginger...it goes down well and I can drink several mugs a day without making myself sick...plus, do remember that soups and coffee counts as liquid too...about the peeing thing: I read that once your body gets used to the new levels of liquid coming in it reaches kind of like a balance and you won't feel the need to pee as much! I wouldn't guarantee for that, I'm like a sieve..if I have a tea now in max 20 min I need to go! I have no difficulty drinking water while I exercise though...
    The best advice I can give you really, from my own experience is: don't force yourself! listen to your body! and try to get your liquid intakes up gradually rather than suddenly...bit by bit!
    Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • aarondnguyen
    aarondnguyen Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    You do get used to it! I used to be in your shoes. It takes time. Nowadays a gallon is the bare minimum for me. I easily finish it on leg days and often times, my quads and hamstrings still cramp up afterwards so drinking more is a must for me
  • Fenrissa
    Fenrissa Posts: 116
    Options
    You can cause electrolyte imbalances by drinking too much water. Just drink enough so that your urine is a pale yellow color, don't force yourself to drink water like it's going out of style.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    There are many studies that suggest you should just drink when you're thirsty, here's an interesting article

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24464774

However drinking too much is dangerous and can lead to water intoxication the headache is actually a symptom so be careful. I really believe the drink 8 glasses is a bit of a myth from some studies I've read (although I'm no expert), if you feel hungry feel free to have a drink just so you're not getting thirst and hunger confused but personally I think you shouldn't force yourself to drink much more than you want.

EDIT just want to clarify drinking too much in one sitting can be dangerous if you space those 12 cups over the day your body should be able to process it safely just don't down pints of the stuff in one go.
  • Nutella91
    Nutella91 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i've been drinking more than recommended amount of water for the past 3 years. it's highly uncomfortable, as in i can't go anywhere where i have to stay longer than 1 hour if there isn't a toilet around.
    it has become a habit, my body asks for water ALL THE TIME. even when i have periods when i give up dieting i still drink tons of water.
    i hope its worth it.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Water is all I drink, but I don't force myself to drink it. If I drink 8-10 cups, great! If I drink less, fine. As long as you can tell when your body needs water, you should be okay, but picking it over other beverages is a start.
  • frankiep73
    frankiep73 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Yes, your body gets used to it. I usually only drink that and my AM coffee. During the work day, I can be upto 144oz and then when I am at home, at most another 8oz and I have to stop by 7pm or I'm up too many times to pee in the middle of the night. I have been working hard at retraining my bladder but not causing issues. It takes time, and I have been drinking that much for years so it isn't hard for me. I also have learned that if I have to pee, I do... regardless of the potty conditions. EWW, I know. But just add more as you can, and don't kill yourself if you don't hit the daily goal. There is a lot of changes you are making right now, remember that being successful at all of them all at the same time is going to be overwhelming!
  • HeathIsKey2014
    Options
    Just for clarity - the water is spaced throughout the day - thanks everyone