? on grams of sugar per day

Options
So my goal thing says 30g of sugar per day. However, after a glass of OJ and some raisins in my oatmeal--the count is already at 54---and that is only after breakfast. Is that correct? or should only 'added' sugar be accounted for that?? this basically means I cannot have anything else to eat today since i am over in the grams of sugar area.

Replies

• eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the sugar that comes naturally from fresh fruit. Everything else should count as "added/refined sugar" and should stay very low.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    My wife and i have the same questions and honestly, I have given up on tracking the sugars since a bowl of cereal and a banana put me over the the day. I figure if I can keep my carbs in check I should be OK.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    My wife and i have the same questions and honestly, I have given up on tracking the sugars since a bowl of cereal and a banana put me over the the day. I figure if I can keep my carbs in check I should be OK.
  • tdixon00
    Options
    I'm almost always over on sugar, it is amazing how much fruit adds to it. I finally decided that as long as most of the sugar is natural and from fruit that it's not really a bad thing.
  • Disciplined74
    Disciplined74 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I don't have a specific answer to your question but the guideline I use is - I wouldn't worry about sugars unless you medically need too (like you're diabetic).

I had to give up on keeping track of most everything else. Cause if it was low in calories, it was high in sodium. If it was high in protein it was high in carbs. I was driving my self crazy striving for the perfect nutrional balance and it was driving me crazy and making me miserable and was dreading it. and then I realized that if I strive to eat well, to the best of my ability and take a multi-vitamin, then my body is going to pull the nutrition it needs and expel the rest and what I'm doing now is MUCH better than what I was doing previously that got me into the overweight shape I'm currently in.

I commend your efforts to work toward continous improvement, but don't be hard on yourself and don't let it frustrate and discourage you.

The fact that you are concerned about it shows that you are consious about the food choices you are making so that indicates that you are doing well

Keep up the good work

- Eva
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    My sugars always go over. Without fail. As others have mentioned, it's the source of those sugars that counts.

Also, if you're pre-diabetic and worried about those sugar levels, be sure to get your fiber intake up during those meals where you are taking in your largest amounts of sugar. Good thing about fresh fruit is the dose of fiber you get. The fiber will help you regulate your insulin response.