biking etiquette

Replies

• Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Can anyone explain to me why sidewalk bikers would rather almost hit other pedestrians on the sidewalk trying to squeeze by them than just pass them on the grass?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Here is my final update on the subject...I did call the Police Department for the city I live in. I told him that I never even thought it could be illegal to ride my bike on a sidewalk and told him which streets I was talking about. I also advised that I asked for advice on this forum and got a lot of people who told me never to ride on the sidewalk and that I had to ride in the street. He told me that no law enforcement person in the city would make me get off the sidewalk. He suggested a light for the bike in case I was riding at night and I did say that I would be getting a bell (as a result of advice from some on this forum). He said he would rather I possibly startle a few pedestrians than have to clean me up off the road. So I will get a bell to alert people to my passing on the sidewalk and will slow down or stop if necessary to get around them, but I won't be riding on the street when I feel it is way too dangerous.

But also looking for designated bike paths in the area!

As an avid biker, I still find it extremely poor etiquette to ride on the sidewalk if you're not a child or accompanying one..

Either way, if you're going to be riding on the sidewalk, make sure to follow all traffic laws and don't think cars will automatically see you. I almost hit a guy on a bike specifically because he was riding against traffic on a sidewalk. When I made sure the intersection was clear to turn left I couldn't see him because he was 1/2 a block behind me riding the wrong way. As I started through the intersection, he didn't stop at the crosswalk so I almost hit him.

I had the joy of being pulled over and given a warning for "failure to yield" at a crosswalk. After I knew I just got a warning I asked "how is it failure to yield when the vehicle was on the sidewalk, crosswalk or not, and going against traffic". Cop looked at me puzzled. By then their boss showed up, we explained the situation, and he said "ya...that bike shouldn't have been there. You pulled over the wrong person".
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    EVERY TIME I see this topic, my brain sees "biking" as "bikini"
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    I do most of my riding on MUPs (Multi Use Paths) where I run into all the sidewalk issues except that I have a right to bike on the path.

I hate trying to pass people who take up too much room, wander from side to side, travel two or more abreast, or pick a path straight down the middle. In other words, I hate it when people are hard to pass. To make it worse, a lot of these people are wearing headphones and are shut off to the world around them.

A bell is good for people like that. It's easy to announce your presence far earlier when you have a bell. And it gets people's attention. I'm not sure, but I think some people are wondering why an ice cream truck is overtaking them.

I'll use your term -- MUPs -- and say that I know the frustration. I always try to offset that by remembering that, if bike paths were designed only for cycling, there likely wouldn't be any. By that, I mean it's the broad-based support that comes from multiple users that make the bike paths possible in the first place.

It's also important to remember that bike paths are for recreational use, not exercise training. Not addressing you personally, but, in general, I think it is unrealistic to expect to be able to do training rides on MUPs. We have a nice network of crushed-gravel/partially paved paths in my area (Illnois Prairie Path and Fox River Trail). I have used them in the past for training rides, but with the full realization (and accepting full responsibility) that, for that use, I basically had to yield to everyone else, since I was the one using the path in ways it was not intended. That means getting up early before the families get out there, using primarily routes that are less-used, and gearing down and just accepting that when you go through Wheaton, St Charles, Geneva, or Batavia, it was going to be slow going.

Azdak, those are good points. You're right.

I use the same paths plus the Great Western Trail. Watch for me this summer. I'll be the one coming up behind you with a bell ringing.
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member

Pervert.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Can anyone explain to me why sidewalk bikers would rather almost hit other pedestrians on the sidewalk trying to squeeze by them than just pass them on the grass?
    Goatheads.

Actually I don't know. I hate sidewalk riding. I would rather dodge traffic than ever risk hitting someone.
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Since the OP is in Florida, here's a helpful link to get you started... and happy cycling!
    http://floridabicycle.org/bicycle-traffic-law/
  • phathousecat
    phathousecat Posts: 55 Member
    On that note, I've been a full time cyclist for about a month now and I feel like I come close to dying everyday, lol. I have a proper back and front light and I obey all the traffic laws. All of them. I don't cut in front of cars, I cycle as fast as I can to not piss anyone off, and I stop and yield in all the appropriate places. Cars just don't really care for you overall, it sucks. I've been run off the road 3 times in one night (without falling luckily) and then almost sandwiched in my neighborhood, which is NOT that populated. It's usually due to people thinking they can "beat" me when in reality I am going fairly fast and cannot brake quickly, so they pull out in front of me and immediately put on their brakes. It's so frustrating.
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    The following links contain great tips for all cyclists - new and experienced - in regards to riding defensively. Whether you ride on the road, dirt, or paved trail, this information may make your ride safer and more enjoyable.

A good basic primer on defensive riding:
    http://tunedintocycling.wordpress.com/2008/07/12/cycling-with-cars-riding-defensively/

Good info on how to avoid the most common vehicle/bike collisons:
    http://bicyclesafe.com/

This is primarily a bike commuting article, but it has tips on riding in traffic:
    http://www.ebicycles.com/article/guide-to-bicycle-commuting.html

And for our UK friends who ride on the "other" side of the road: :tongue:
    http://cyclinginfo.co.uk/blog/245/commuting/7-tips-for-defensive-cycling/index.html
    http://www.defensivecycling.com/stay-safe/safe-cycling-tips/
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,371 Member
    I know that bike are supposed to be on the road and not on the sidewalk - the problem that I have with this is that there are an awful lot of rednecks around here that think it is funny to pass cyclists as close as possible (I have had a**holes touch me with their mirrors) to scare the riders - some some grand game of chicken where the cyclist dies if they get startled... something that the idiots apparently don't realize will happen. I have also had people throw things at me and flat out run me off the road...

I still ride on the road to get to the bike path that is a mile from my house - it's a semi-busy road (2 lanes each way) but I keep my eyes on the mirror and I am very defensive about any vehicle that is coming up behind me...

As to the original question - 'On the left' is the phrase I use when I pass people on the path (or when they pass me). I also use the grass when necessary to pass dogs/kids/people/whatever.
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member

Pervert.

Prude
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Since the OP is in Florida, here's a helpful link to get you started... and happy cycling!

Now, that's an odd thing at that particular Florida link....

"As of 2012, Bicyclists are no longer required to keep at least one hand on the handlebars."
  • SingingSingleTracker

It could be they have timid bike handling skills. There is often a chance of getting the wheel stuck between the cement and the grass if the lawn owner trims their grass in a certain way. If one has good handling skills, it doesn't matter if you are on road tires, hybrid tires, or mountain bike tires - it's easy to navigate around somebody using the grass. But then again I prefer mountain biking and would do anything I could to ride on dirt rather than pavement....
  • Since the OP is in Florida, here's a helpful link to get you started... and happy cycling!

"As of 2012, Bicyclists are no longer required to keep at least one hand on the handlebars."

Florida is a special place. :laugh: I do love not having snow, though...
  • SingingSingleTracker

Florida is a special place. :laugh: I do love not having snow, though...

I hear you....! Everybody is so tired of the snow here in the Midwest, most have given up shoveling their sidewalks. So going for a walk is a dangerous and icy proposition.

In my town, it is legal for bikes to ride on sidewalks, but usually it's only kids who are doing it as they ride to and from school. Everyone else rides in the street. Sidewalk riding can be dangerous as cars driving in and backing out of driveways are not always looking for bikes.

It's too bad that our society has become one that shuns bike riding - be it on streets or sidewalks.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Q
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    There may be reasons but none of them good
    As it's very much a case of subjectivity -
    In YOUR opinion.
    Others have different opinions, of course ;).
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Bikes are vehicles and belong on the road following traffic laws.

You said your roads were dangerous so I would ride AGAINST TRAFFIC. That way people would see you coming.

Yes say "passing on the left" when doing so.

Also consider getting a police whistle and blowing a shrill blast to get attention.

All, consider your safety when sharing ear buds.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    Bikes are vehicles and belong on the road following traffic laws.

You said your roads were dangerous so I would ride AGAINST TRAFFIC. That way people would see you coming.

I hate that. It's illegal for cyclists to do that.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    There may be reasons but none of them good
    As it's very much a case of subjectivity -
    In YOUR opinion.
    Others have different opinions, of course ;).

No, it's matter of rationalizing......like drivers there are good cyclists and bad cyclists. Bad cyclists rationalize engaging in dangerous behaviour thinking it's a way of mitigating risk when, in fact, the real way to mitigate risk is to become a good cyclist. The same rationale for riding a bike on the sidewalk could be used by riders of e-bikes and small displacement motorcycles........do you want them on sidewalks?

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2011/09/01/cyclists_defend_using_sidewalk_where_pedestrian_was_struck_and_killed.html

http://www.sfbg.com/politics/2012/04/05/was-cyclist-who-killed-pedestrian-reckless

http://road.cc/content/news/89218-us-cyclist-who-killed-pedestrian-guilty-vehicular-manslaughter-escapes-jail

People may think that riding a bike on the sidewalk poses little risk to pedestrians by the fact of the matter is that you can kill or seriously injure someone with your bike hence the reason it's illegal to operate a bicycle on sidewalks in most places.

Don't be a salmon......