I honestly can't stop bingeing on junk after school, help

Options
I thought I could control myself but everyday as I come home from school, I binge on junk for an hour-ish. I then end up eating dinner very late, or eating a tiny amount. Everyday I tell myself it's okay, I can start fresh tomorrow but I do exactly the same thing repeatedly (2 weeks now). I hate it because I eat healthily all day, only to ruin it after school. Sometimes I'll even binge before bed. I managed to kick the habit once a few months ago by eating fruits after school but I don't like fruits much. Also, I can't trust myself to eat junk in moderation, I go overboard every time BUT if I don't eat junk, I have crazy binges on the weekend. I also exercise daily and basically undo all my work.

I'm not sure what to do. It's like I'm at some loose end. I'd like it if somebody could please be harsh with me and just help me really. Today, I went and threw out all the junk I'd binge on tomorrow, but I'll just end up bingeing on my family's junk which is really pathetic of me. I seem to lack willpower.

Replies

• Superlicious96
    Options
    It's also my birthday on Saturday and I've been told I've got a giant double chocolate cake on the way along with multiple fast food restaurants reserved for the family so I DESPERATELY need to get my act together fast and a week after I have a dental check up so I'll probably end up with a filling if I don't quit the junk.
  • aarondnguyen
    aarondnguyen Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Completely removing processed junk from your diet may lead to weight loss benefits, sure, but for some (including myself) it's probably not realistic. You have to really dig deep and ask yourself what you want out of life, in my opinion. I used to be in your shoes where I would start the day off with my diet completely spot-on, only to have it ruined by night time where I cave in and eat all the cookies I have in my pantry. Then the vicious cycle of binging and restricting began. Ultimately what'll happen is you'll form a bad relationship with food -- and if you're looking at longevity and long-term adherence to dieting, this is the last thing you want. Practice moderation. I know you feel that you can't do it at the moment, but you can. Trust me. If I can, so can you. However, the majority of your diet should come from nutrient-dense food. Aim for carbohydrate sources that have good amounts of fiber so they'll help keep you full. A few tricks of the trade that can help fight off sugar cravings is rinsing your mouth with some type of oral glucose (i.e. soda). Studies have shown that the trace amounts of sugar left behind after rinsing will be enough to replenish serotonin levels, thus making saying "no" a lot easier. Willpower is like a muscle, and when used for prolonged periods of time (for dieting for example), it'll get worn out.

Hope this helps!
  • VaingloriousVictoria
    VaingloriousVictoria Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Hey!!! I have been there before. I could probably write a hilariously long novel about my crazy snacking hi-jinks in the middle of the night. This is what I have done to help me...

1. I don't buy bad food. (It's really hard for me. For example, I thought I had self control and bought a box of Thin Mints. WRONG! I ate a whole box in two days!) If it's not around, I can't eat it.

2. Surround myself with high protein, low carb options. (Nuts, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, protein shakes, cheese sticks, etc.) The protein will take longer to process and keep you fuller, longer.

3. MEASURE everything! Even though I feel like I've become a pro at measuring, my eyes often think things are smaller than they really are.

4. Avoid sugary drinks and alcohols. Drinking water, lower calorie juice, and Crystal Light are good options. Instead of sugary mixed drinks, try wine (if you are old enough to drink).
  • Superlicious96
    Options
    Completely removing processed junk from your diet may lead to weight loss benefits, sure, but for some (including myself) it's probably not realistic. You have to really dig deep and ask yourself what you want out of life, in my opinion. I used to be in your shoes where I would start the day off with my diet completely spot-on, only to have it ruined by night time where I cave in and eat all the cookies I have in my pantry. Then the vicious cycle of binging and restricting began. Ultimately what'll happen is you'll form a bad relationship with food -- and if you're looking at longevity and long-term adherence to dieting, this is the last thing you want. Practice moderation. I know you feel that you can't do it at the moment, but you can. Trust me. If I can, so can you. However, the majority of your diet should come from nutrient-dense food. Aim for carbohydrate sources that have good amounts of fiber so they'll help keep you full. A few tricks of the trade that can help fight off sugar cravings is rinsing your mouth with some type of oral glucose (i.e. soda). Studies have shown that the trace amounts of sugar left behind after rinsing will be enough to replenish serotonin levels, thus making saying "no" a lot easier. Willpower is like a muscle, and when used for prolonged periods of time (for dieting for example), it'll get worn out.

Hope this helps!

Yes this is exactly it, I tried removing processed foods for a while, then the cravings got pretty intense and I binged like crazy on junk, I'd then binge and restrict all the time and now I have a bad relationship with food. I like the soda idea though, would cordial work? As it's made with mostly water so is only like 30kcal, I can't really go overboard and do serious damage with it like I tend to do with most things. Thank you.
  • Superlicious96
    Options
    Sorry, forgot to quote
  • Superlicious96
    Options
    Hey!!! I have been there before. I could probably write a hilariously long novel about my crazy snacking hi-jinks in the middle of the night. This is what I have done to help me...

1. I don't buy bad food. (It's really hard for me. For example, I thought I had self control and bought a box of Thin Mints. WRONG! I ate a whole box in two days!) If it's not around, I can't eat it.

2. Surround myself with high protein, low carb options. (Nuts, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, protein shakes, cheese sticks, etc.) The protein will take longer to process and keep you fuller, longer.

3. MEASURE everything! Even though I feel like I've become a pro at measuring, my eyes often think things are smaller than they really are.

4. Avoid sugary drinks and alcohols. Drinking water, lower calorie juice, and Crystal Light are good options. Instead of sugary mixed drinks, try wine (if you are old enough to drink).

The problem I'm having currently is with number 1 because I don't get much of a say in the food, my parents do and they insist on buying me ridiculous amounts of junk food when I beg them not to every week. I've told them repeatedly to stop buying me giant chocolate cakes and cookies everyday as I can't resist them, they promise they won't, only to buy me it the next day as a 'surprise'! I literally go to the grocery store with them each week and they'll say the cookies are for my brother only to put them in my bedroom drawer lol. THAT'S the food I end up bingeing on. I suppose I have no excuse though, I think I just need to have more motivation to not touch it even if it's there tempting me.

Maybe tomorrow will be different hopefully, as I did throw out the box of junk I've been eating from for the past 2 weeks!
  • McCluskey1128
    McCluskey1128 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough throughout the day? Could you pack almonds or an apple in your bag and eat that right before school is about to end so when you get home you're not starving and binge?
  • SoreTodayStrongTomorrow222
    Options
    Are you eating enough throughout the day? Could you pack almonds or an apple in your bag and eat that right before school is about to end so when you get home you're not starving and binge?

She's got it ^ You probably aren't eating enough during the day - come home starving - and stuff the closest, easiest thing in your mouth. Been there, done that. Eat throughout the day and don't let yourself get that hungry.
  • McCluskey1128
    McCluskey1128 Posts: 88 Member
    Options

The problem I'm having currently is with number 1 because I don't get much of a say in the food, my parents do and they insist on buying me ridiculous amounts of junk food when I beg them not to every week. I've told them repeatedly to stop buying me giant chocolate cakes and cookies everyday as I can't resist them, they promise they won't, only to buy me it the next day as a 'surprise'! I literally go to the grocery store with them each week and they'll say the cookies are for my brother only to put them in my bedroom drawer lol. THAT'S the food I end up bingeing on. I suppose I have no excuse though, I think I just need to have more motivation to not touch it even if it's there tempting me.

Are you serious? Why are your parents encouraging your failure? I've noticed when friends do that to me it's because they are jealous haters. Stay strong. And as my friend Scott says "Girl, do what I do. Just spray some Windex on it. Then you won't eat it"
  • marian4marian
    marian4marian Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    hi superlicious. your post really 'spoke' to me. i've just joined and am fully aware that the 'timing' was right for me (i am willing).
    i used to come home from school and get into the food. when i look back, i believe it was a de-stresser. a way of numbing out.
    what i would recommend is taking some *special time* for *special you* after school. take a relaxing bath or try some meditation (there are lots on you tube)....YOU ARE WORTH IT..treat yourself with t.l.c.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You just have to dig deep and decide how much you really want to succeed.

Log the food in advance before you eat it. Decide if you can really fit those calories into your day, if you really want to skimp on dinner, or if you would rather have a normal dinner and a small snack.

Make sure you have other things to snack on, like celery, carrots, popcorn. I know, celery and carrots isn't as yummy as other junk, but if it soothes that need to crunch on something.....

Keep busy after school. Take up a hobby where your hands aren't free. Go to the library to do homework. Exercise. There are so many other things you could be doing instead of eating.

You are totally in control.

Don't worry about your birthday, it's just one day. Enjoy your birthday cake but then get back on the wagon.
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Step 1: Rewrite your thread topic. "I honestly CAN stop binging on junk after school"

Step 2: Be proactive. It's great you recognize what your areas of improvement are, now you just need to challenge yourself to be more than those temptations. Carry a water bottle around and drink that when you feel cravings. Buy healthy substitutes for snack foods. Keep your mind off your stomach by engaging in after-school activities. Put yourself in an environment where you can't eat after school like a library or computer lab.

Step 3: To quote Nike, just do it. I wish there was a fix-all solution, but at the end of the day it simply comes down to how badly you want it. Best of luck OP:flowerforyou:
  • Superlicious96
    Options

Are you serious? Why are your parents encouraging your failure? I've noticed when friends do that to me it's because they are jealous haters. Stay strong. And as my friend Scott says "Girl, do what I do. Just spray some Windex on it. Then you won't eat it"

Haha yes it really sucks! I don't think they understand how important it is to me, and since I loved junk as a kid, they think I still do when I don't really! I love the idea of spraying something onto the food, I'll do that next time once I get some junk in my possession.
  • RebelliousRibbons
    RebelliousRibbons Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    You're probably just really tired. Drink a big glass of water and take a nap instead. Distract yourself!
  • Superlicious96
    Options

The thing is when I get home, I'm not physically hungry at all, I think I eat junk when I get back as it's what I've always done so it's a habit I'm struggling to break, I also tend to use it as a way to de-stress which is pretty bad. Oh and if I don't eat it, I just think about eating constantly UNTIL I eat the junk so I end up eating just to forget about it. So I'm a little messed up at the moment you see. :)
  • kammyrios
    kammyrios Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Some parents think they need to show they care for you by buying you things you like. Maybe you can ask your parents to buy you healthy snacks instead of "junk" food. Give your mom a list of things she could substitute the cake and cookies for. You know what you like, so I won't post suggestions. Also maybe you can take up an activity right after school that would make it impossible to eat. Like music or singing lessons, swimming, running, ... just something you enjoy. If that fails, take out a serving size of your treats, and then pour water over the remaining food. You will not be able to eat it then, and your willpower won't be tested knowing that it is in the cupboard! Good luck!
  • ComradeTovarich
    ComradeTovarich Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    black-knight-sword-large.jpg

You see this big douche right here? He's going to find you, follow you around, and tell everyone embarrassing stories about you if you don't stop. He will also sit next to your bed at night and clank his armor together so you have a difficult time falling to sleep.
  • sarahenagy
    sarahenagy Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am a teacher and tend to binge after school too. As others have said, almonds and apples are my saviors. I have 15 almonds about an hour and a half after lunch and then an apple immediately after school. If I'm going to workout on my way home I will add a string cheese stick or peanut butter with my apple.
  • kfroese
    kfroese Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You could just throw out the junk food. How many times would you have to do that before your parents got the hint and quit wasting money on stuff you throw out?
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I had a problem like that years ago, but it was when I got off work at 11 pm. I'd go home and start snacking.

After months of trying to control myself and mostly failing, one day I got a new idea. I decided to start a new habit by going in a different door. Instead of going in the front door, I went to the back of the house and entered through the back door. Then I went upstairs, got into my pajamas and/or robe, and turned on the television to watch an episode of MASH. After MASH, if I really felt hungry, I'd go back downstairs to have a small snack, like a piece of cheese and an apple or yogurt. I think it was going in the back door that made the big difference. It broke me out of my rut.