How to stop eating when your not hungry

Options
I always seem to feel hungry even though I just ate. I know I'm not but I just like the taste of food so I eat especially when I do hw. How do I stop this I eat healthy most of the time but the taste of food always gets me. I also have a big stomache so I never seem to get full which sucks. I could try and just eat a little each time like people say and do 5-6 meals a day but once I eat one snack it just leads to another and another :(

Replies

• MistyKnapp
    Options
    Are you maybe not getting enough liquids? A tip I heard about: drink a large glass of water when you feel hungry. Wait 30 minutes and if you still feel hungry, eat something small. Something I'm trying is to eat every 3 hours.
  • SoreTodayStrongTomorrow222
    Options
    Stop putting food in your mouth?

Probably eating out of boredom...really just comes down to will power - its up to you and only you.
  • BelsFitnessJourney
    Options
    I suggest once you've eaten, distract yourself with a hobby or a job to do. Such as reading a book... After eating we always want something more but give it half an hour - just half an hour without thinking about food and you'll get over the urge to eat more and realise you can wait untill your next meal time.
    I personally eat 6 times a day so I only have 2-3 hours between food which works for me :)
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    This is why I only eat one or two meals a day because as soon as that first bite of food hits my tongue, I want it all. So I try to postpone that as long as possible.

Drink a lot (like eight cups) of water before you munch on anything else.

If you are still hungry, it's in your head and you just need to will yourself not to eat.
  • SpyridonGR
    Options
    I've struggled with this problem for many years.

My solution: Video games!!

It sounds kind of weird, but I've found that if I'm reading or watching TV, I WILL SNACK and I will not stop. Playing video games occupies my hands, I'll go hours without eating if I'm playing a fast-paced game on PlayStation, Xbox, or the PC. It's surprising, but it has drastically reduced my calorie intake. And hey, everyone loves a girl gamer! ;D

I'm sure it doesn't have to be video games, the main point here is keep your hands busy!! If your focused on something challenging that requires the use of your hands, you will not think of snacks and you will be too busy to grab a snack even if you want one.
  • RobsGirl_lds
    Options
    I took up knitting, it occupies my hands and my mind cuz I have to keep my count.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    there is this trick I learned...

say NO to yourself
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I use the lettuce test. Imagine your hand was full of plain lettuce. No dressing. Not a salad. Just lettuce. Would you eat it? If not then you aren't hungry.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I am like that at night. I brush my teeth, I chew gum, I eat celery. I tell myself I am not eating and make myself do it! Sometimes I get busy shopping or going to the gym.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein. You have a lot of incomplete days so it's hard to tell for sure, but it looks like you're consistently low on protein, which helps to increase satiety and keep you full longer.
  • Nascha333
    Nascha333 Posts: 56
    Options
    i second drinking water, drinking at least 8 glasses each day has really helped nipped my hunger (i know you said you are not hungry) but it really tricked me into feeling full and not munching. Sometimes i eat supper, during, i'm full, right away after i'm hungry. It may be because i work out, i don't know, but i think it's all in my head because i drink a glass of water and i'm good for a few more hours.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I took up knitting, it occupies my hands and my mind cuz I have to keep my count.

Me too! Although I didn't take up knitting- been doing it most of my life, but I did make it a big part of my evening ritual. Stops me from dipping into the snacks!

Another big one I've learned, is only dishing up what I 'need' to eat. That is a reasonable portion of the meal - one that fits my calories and macros. If I eat it, and still want more, well, I have to get up and weigh out another portion. If I do want more, I then ask myself whether it's worth it. 99 times out of a hundred, it isn't.

I learned the hard way that if it's on my plate, I will eat it - still hungry or not.
  • zderain
    zderain Posts: 36
    Options
    I have this problem too. A lot of times I really have nothing to do. I don't have friends or family and sitting around playing video games or knitting for too long would just pack on the pounds for me. So I just pace around the apartment sometimes trying not to let myself go to the kitchen- which rarely ever works.
  • MistyKnapp
    Options
    This is why I only eat one or two meals a day because as soon as that first bite of food hits my tongue, I want it all. So I try to postpone that as long as possible.

Drink a lot (like eight cups) of water before you munch on anything else.

If you are still hungry, it's in your head and you just need to will yourself not to eat.

This isn't good- your body will go into starvation mode because you eat only 1 to 2 meals a day. It will turn everything you eat into fat for later. Eat small meals through out the day and drink plenty of liquids like water. Find a hobby or a job where you'll be busy for awhile. Or simply eat every 3 hours, which might help you with the wanting to eat all the time.
  • airika
    airika Posts: 6
    Options
    i was going to suggest knitting as well. It's easy to learn and a cheap hobby to maintain.
  • zderain
    zderain Posts: 36
    Options
    i was going to suggest knitting as well. It's easy to learn and a cheap hobby to maintain.

lol. I spent $1800 on craft supplies last year and made $45.