High Intensity Training ??

Options
So, in efforts to see results AND cut my time back at the gym--my trainer has told me to ditch my 30 minute cardio routine after weights and do HIT training.

I've been told to:
warm up for 5 minutes:walk 1 minute-sprint 30 seconds-walk 1 minute-sprint 30 seconds and to repeat this 5 times in a row, and do a 5 minute cool down.
I'm willing to give this a try, but I am so use to burning SEVERAL MORE calories and using the elliptical for 30 minutes at a time.

SO, anybody tried this method before? Thoughts?

Replies

• monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    if you do it right, ul start to see results immediately if you have never done HIIT before.
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I've done that workout several times. It's a killer, especially at the end of a tough workout! You can also do 30 second sprints/10 second rests (jump off the treads but be careful!) and repeat 8 times as a Tabata circuit. That one always wears me out and I feel it in my ab muscles the most, which is surprising.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I did some HIIT tonight...23mins and that included warm up and cool down and it kicked my butt...

I did it for 5 weeks before I went on vacation and dropped 4lbs in that time.

I actually prefer fitnessblender for my HIIT workouts as they are not all cardio...
  • acb2144
    acb2144 Posts: 34
    Options
    I've been using high intensity interval training (hiit) on fitnessblender.com for about a month and loving it. Everything is more toned and my stamina and lung capacity feel like they've risen a lot. But I do longer routines than what your trainer suggested, so I'm not sure if it would be the same...
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    3rd vote for fitness blender HIIT workouts. However, I don't do them right after weight training but on days in between weight training.
  • LucyFordxo
    LucyFordxo Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    WICKED:

Thanks for all the feedback so far. It's been recommended to me that I do my HIT after my lift sessions (depending on what day anywhere between 20-40 minutes)--which makes sense because I don't think I could lift afterwards. I tried the HIT today, and HOT DAMN my heart rate was UP higher than it ever has been before with cardio.

I'm stoked for the results, just bummed to not burn nearly as many calories as I could on the stupid elliptical.
    (I've also been instructed to stop counting calories, and to just eat accordingly *I've been given a meal plan* but it's a new ideology to me--as I've been counting calories forever.)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I do HIIT regularly and it makes me crazy hungry going forward after a few hours.........fyi
  • LucyFordxo
    Options
    I do HIIT regularly and it makes me crazy hungry going forward after a few hours.........fyi

haha for sure, I anticipate that. I'm ALWAYS VERY HUNGRY after a workout.
  • sokkache
    sokkache Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Hi, I don't really have a long "attention" span at the gym so HIIT is perfect for me. I can't run on the treadmill for more than maybe 30 minutes. I would much rather play a sport like tennis or basketball than go to the gym or run. Anyways, here is my basic workout:

First I lift weights for about 15 minutes, then it's on to the treadmill.

3-5 minute warm-up @ 3 mph
    6.5 mph for a minute
    3 mph for a minute
    7 mph for a minute
    3 mph for a minute
    7.5 mph for a minute
    ....and so on
    Then cool down for 2 minutes

I go up in increments of .5 and I usually do anywhere from 6-10 rounds of this and by the end, I'm so done with everything and I'm sweating all over. My workouts last anywhere from 20-30 minutes and I'm burning about 150-200 calories each time.
  • ashleearoha
    ashleearoha Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You'll burn way more calories doing HIIT if you do it right. And its no where near as monotonous as steady rate cardio.
  • LucyFordxo
    Options
    Hi, I don't really have a long "attention" span at the gym so HIIT is perfect for me. I can't run on the treadmill for more than maybe 30 minutes. I would much rather play a sport like tennis or basketball than go to the gym or run. Anyways, here is my basic workout:

First I lift weights for about 15 minutes, then it's on to the treadmill.

3-5 minute warm-up @ 3 mph
    6.5 mph for a minute
    3 mph for a minute
    7 mph for a minute
    3 mph for a minute
    7.5 mph for a minute
    ....and so on
    Then cool down for 2 minutes

I go up in increments of .5 and I usually do anywhere from 6-10 rounds of this and by the end, I'm so done with everything and I'm sweating all over. My workouts last anywhere from 20-30 minutes and I'm burning about 150-200 calories each time.

oh! I'm going to try this out tomorrow!
    Thank You