Can't jog due to shin splints - help please!

Options

Replies

• wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    It's ok to run with shin pain, as long as you don't push it. I had to really slowly work into running, with shin splits, that did go away in time. Take a rest day or 2 between runs, use a beginner program like c25 k and dont give up
  • Efflictim
    Efflictim Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Are you new to exercise? If so, slow it waaaaaaaaaay down and start with just walking. You're probably trying to do too much too soon. Once you've got the distance covered with walking, then try something like c25k.

^ this. I used to get shin splints because i started off too fast. I slowed down to walking a couple miles a day on an incline to strengthen my shins. After a few weeks i started running again and they were gone. Be sue to stretch before and after.
  • shazbox1
    shazbox1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    If the pain is in the front of your shin, try looking up tibialis anterior workouts/stretches. I have noticed a lot less soreness after doing them for a while.

Also, make sure you are running with proper form. This video explains it pretty well in my opinion:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J-7beA-daw
  • RamonaFr
    RamonaFr Posts: 112
    Options
    If the pain is in the front of your shin, try looking up tibialis anterior workouts/stretches. I have noticed a lot less soreness after doing them for a while.

Also, find a good sports massage therapist. Sometimes the problem is an imbalance in calf muscles causing the tibialis anterior to overwork to compensate for the tightness of other muscles.
  • boodlelibra
    boodlelibra Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I had this problem and it was because my calf muscles were too short, basically. I went to an orthopedic doc when I thought I had stress fractures and had sprained my ankle for the 1000th time. I took 4 steps and he diagnosed me; now I've had surgery on both legs (my feet were wonky, too, and I got a rebuild on the ankle) and even though I'm still recovering I can already tell it's a lot better. I've always had pain, but it turned out it was never actually shin splints, which is why none of the remedies I tried have ever worked. Might be worth a shot to see an ortho. Good luck!!
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I'm thirding (fourthing) finding some exercises / stretches to lengthen the muscles in front of your shins. I've been plagued by shin splints since I started walking more seven months ago. Doing the stretches has really helped.

(That's assuming you've got the right shoes and you're warming up and cooling down well...)
  • suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Have you tried running backwards? It stretches the opposing muscles.
    When you get splints just turn around and do it for a few yards. And then go back to running forward.

I used to get horrible shin splints and I hardly ever do now since I have been doing this :flowerforyou:
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Laugh not..my gym had a chiropractor..he told me to roll a rolling pin over them. I thought he was nuts. But it got so bad I said what the heck..it worked..Apparently it stretches out the muscle..go figure..FYI my kid never let me use that one again for baking..silly boy..:wink:
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about cycling instead of running? I have been getting sore hips from running so have started cycling. My heart rate is elevated higher and for longer than with running and very little discomfort on the joints plus added bonus of muscle burn in the quads which I never felt while running. I burn off much the same amount of calories over the same period of time that I do while running but obviously cover a much greater distance.

And no knee or hip pain!

I also do a lot of walking and still run on a treadmill which doesn't seem to cause as much joint pain as running on the road.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I get shin splints, I am working on strengthening my leg muscles and doing the point toe exercises to see if that helps.

DO NOT CONTINUE TO RUN WITH SHIN SPLINTS.

It only gets worse and worse so much that it hurts to even walk. It was a very painful and long lesson to learn. When my boyfriend runs, I walk the track or I climb the stadium stairs. I am going to try running again soon, but I think I will try the 30sec increment increase that was recommended on here.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I get shin splints, I am working on strengthening my leg muscles and doing the point toe exercises to see if that helps.

DO NOT CONTINUE TO RUN WITH SHIN SPLINTS.

It only gets worse and worse so much that it hurts to even walk. It was a very painful and long lesson to learn. When my boyfriend runs, I walk the track or I climb the stadium stairs. I am going to try running again soon, but I think I will try the 30sec increment increase that was recommended on here.
    Mine improved the more I got used to running
  • draco706
    draco706 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Aqua jogging? Either just walking or running in the pool or put on a flotation belt and hop in the deep end and "run" its easy on the joints.
  • emmajones1291
    Options
    Hello!

I meant that I had changed my shoes - how would I know if they weren't suitable as they feel fine and supportive?

I was new to running, yes. I had never run before in my life so I started the couch to 5k and I managed to get to, I think, week 5/6? But the increase was too much for me so I stopped, then I started running on the treadmill in the gym in shorter bursts. So I'm pretty new to running, yes. I can walk fine, I just find it extremely boring.

I have started using the cross trainer which I know is low impact, but I want to be able to sort out the shin splints so I am able to run, not just avoid it altogether. I really dislike the cross trainer as well. I don't know how, but I get so out of breathe on there compared to other things I use in the gym and can't do it for long - any advice on this?

I mostly use the bike in the gym which I do enjoy using and can stay on there for a long time and appears to be burning a lot of calories (according to the machine) but I feel it's not changing my body shape or helping me lose any weight/tone up, which I think running would help with.

I usually do weights before I start and sometimes the bike and I also start with a warm up walk so I'm not just diving straight into the running. I will have to try doing more stretches aimed at my lower legs though - I'll try the ones in that link, thanks!
  • eguarparsons
    Options

Also, make sure you are running with proper form. This video explains it pretty well in my opinion:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J-7beA-daw

I think this is key. I recommend tptherapy.com
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I ran my shin splints out. I ran on grass, also there are heaps of exercises on youtube to help with it. No need to stop running just cause of them. Mine were that bad that walking was hard, going down steps (even just one step) had me in tears & running was painful but on grass was making me stronger.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Good shoes (not Chuck Taylor's!), good insoles, stretch your calves, front of the calves, quads and hamstrings before running.

Strengthen the front of your calf with reverse calf raises: http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/TibialisAnterior/BBReverseCalfRaise.html. High reps, 15 to 20 reps, three sets, two to three times a week.

Use elliptical or cycle, or walk uphill or on an incline.
  • ZachWaldman
    Options
    I would look into Dr. John Sarno (do a search for his books on Amazon). He'll help with your shin splints. Also, running is a crap exercise. Get a pull up bar, some kettle bells, and find a different form of cardio that you like.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I would look into Dr. John Sarno (do a search for his books on Amazon). He'll help with your shin splints. Also, running is a crap exercise. Get a pull up bar, some kettle bells, and find a different form of cardio that you like.

Excuse me? Running is a crap exercise? Since when? Since when is the best way to get outdoors, think about life & get a damn good workout a crap exercise? Not everyone wants or can do pullups or use a kettle bell. Think about that next time you insult every single runner out there.
  • johnthomasmoore
    johnthomasmoore Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    That was my philosophy, too. Then I had stress fracture and no running for way too long. My pain went away after about 5 miles and I just kept up the running. Major mistake. But I was a runner, then.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I meant that I had changed my shoes - how would I know if they weren't suitable as they feel fine and supportive?

I was new to running, yes. I had never run before in my life so I started the couch to 5k and I managed to get to, I think, week 5/6? But the increase was too much for me so I stopped, then I started running on the treadmill in the gym in shorter bursts. So I'm pretty new to running, yes. I can walk fine, I just find it extremely boring.

I have started using the cross trainer which I know is low impact, but I want to be able to sort out the shin splints so I am able to run, not just avoid it altogether. I really dislike the cross trainer as well. I don't know how, but I get so out of breathe on there compared to other things I use in the gym and can't do it for long - any advice on this?

I mostly use the bike in the gym which I do enjoy using and can stay on there for a long time and appears to be burning a lot of calories (according to the machine) but I feel it's not changing my body shape or helping me lose any weight/tone up, which I think running would help with.

I usually do weights before I start and sometimes the bike and I also start with a warm up walk so I'm not just diving straight into the running. I will have to try doing more stretches aimed at my lower legs though - I'll try the ones in that link, thanks!

Just because your shoes feel like they give you the correct support when you are standing or walking does not necessarily mean they will give support for your particular running gait. If you go to a store that specializes in running - they can *kitten* your gait and tell you if the shoes you have are correct for your movement.

As you can tell by the number of responses that echoed mine - a great number of people experience shin pain when they first start running - it is not necessarily a bad thing - any more than muscle soreness is after you first start lifting. They key - as others have said - is to decide whether it is debilitating or just something you need to work through. As for doctors - there's an old joke - A man goes into a doctor and says I've broken my arm in three places, the doctor responds "Well stay out of those places!" (Groucho Marx I think) The point is - unless you go to a doctor who specializes in sports medecine or a physio - the diagnoses you will get is to stop doing what causes the pain.

Learn what your body is telling you - that, for me - is part of the fun of exercise. I ran this morning on the treadmill - 5 min at 6mph, then intervals - 1min at 7.5mph, back to 6pmh for 1 1/2 min, repeat until 30 min flies by. I'm 52 - I've been running on and off for 30 years - I know my body and what it can do. I know when to push and when to listen. It takes a while - but you'll get there.

Check out runnersworld.com - always helpful info.