Weight loss and irritable bowel

Options
Hey everyone, I have IBS. YAY!!! I am on a really strict diet called the Low FODMAP diet. I can't eat a lot of my favorite fruits or vegetables, gluten, beef, high amounts of caffeine, lactose, fake sugars, and a bunch of other things. Is anyone else in my boat? If anyone has any advice for eating healthy even when you're tummy is upset, I would LOVE to hear it!!

Replies

• suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I have been researching this A LOT lately. My system has shut down since I started eating healthy and OMG the sounds coming from my tummy are CRAZY.

And FIBER is not the answer.
    I have read about so many different "cures" like liquid chlorophyll, magnesium citrate.

I am going to visit the naturopath next month for it.

Best of luck to you. It seems like a bear to live with. Grrr.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I think the key to weight loss with IBS is finding your triggers. I did the low FODMAP diet for 2 years, but it didn't solve all my issues. I actually found out by accident that I can't digest meat properly and within 2 weeks of cutting out all meat and fish and limit my dairy and egg intake, all the symptoms disappeared and all of a sudden I wasn't hungry all the time and I had tons more energy to actually go for a walk and stuff.

good luck :-)
  • loserviolet
    loserviolet Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Try Aloe Vera Juice. It helped all of my symptoms more than anything the doctors could/would do for me. Its NASTY, but if you put it in a smoothie or mix it with juice, it isn't too bad. I shoot it like tequila (haha) just to get it over with.
  • loserviolet
    loserviolet Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Oh, also, oddly enough, everything on the low fodmap diet upsets my tummy. EVERYTHING. :S I do just fine with chicken, pork, turkey and eggs, but beef... not so much. I tried going meat free for a while, but only beef was an issue. I found that if I am really strict with the diet for a while (say, during the workweek), I don't have such a terrible reaction to most things in small amounts.
  • lexidear
    lexidear Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting on FODMAP diet, would love some friends who follow it too for some ideas and inspiration, feel free to add me