Paleo or Semi-Vegan

Options
I am debating between which diet to test out during the 40 days of lent. I have done vegetarian before and I want to go ALMOST completely vegan, I always leave wiggle room so I don't offend people like my boyfriend's family. My other option is to try paleo. What are people's experiences, I am on a limited grocery budget, about $120 and I have to drive into Philly or over an hour for the specialty stores for the last 2 months of school, which I don't really want to do.

So opinions please, or maybe a different eating stye suggestion.

Replies

• prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Hard to answer without more info. Why do want to do this? What are your goals? Are you only doing it for the 40 days?
  • blondiebabe92
    blondiebabe92 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Well I am working on getting back on track, I figured 40 days is good place to start with this just to test it out during lent. I have heard people have had success with both. I would like to try both of them out but I want to see what people think of either.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    Both are the answer to long term health, I hear that everyday, well not semi vegan, that will probably lead to cancer..........just kidding of course. Why ?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    Well I am working on getting back on track, I figured 40 days is good place to start with this just to test it out during lent. I have heard people have had success with both. I would like to try both of them out but I want to see what people think of either.
    What kind of foods do you truly enjoy?
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I am debating between which diet to test out during the 40 days of lent. I have done vegetarian before and I want to go ALMOST completely vegan, I always leave wiggle room so I don't offend people like my boyfriend's family. My other option is to try paleo. What are people's experiences, I am on a limited grocery budget, about $120 and I have to drive into Philly or over an hour for the specialty stores for the last 2 months of school, which I don't really want to do.

semi-vegan is like being semi-pregnant.....you either are, or you are not. Personally I think that if you abstain from something for lent, it makes little sense to make a two hour trip for special food and spend all that money on gas.
    Maybe you need to keep it simple. I know people who will have no cheat meals or cheat days, others only have chocolate or other treats only once a week. I bet there will be quite few threads over the next few days.
  • DaveneGfit
    DaveneGfit Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    As someone who was vegan for 3 years I loved it, but I started to put on weight and was hungry all the time. I ate really healthy and clean too! Now I am paleo and the weight is starting to come off
  • PeterGats
    Options
    When I read you wanted to go Vegan I thought you were a nutter :smile: but then I read it was for lent, so that's ok.
  • embachner
    embachner Posts: 14
    Options
    Check out Happy Herbivore, its a plant-based oil-free diet plan. Its technically vegan but not labeled as such, and it puts more emphasis on eating whole plant based foods!
  • ldula88
    ldula88 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I eat Paleo/Primal, and it's a great lifestyle for me. Basically, I eat very little to no processed foods, and avoid grains. I do eat dairy products, and I also eat legumes, unlike many strict Paleos. I keep my carbs between 50-75 g a day most days, sometimes lower. I find it easy to sustain, because I enjoy fruits, vegetables, lean protein like chicken and turkey, and eggs. I also get to eat Peanut Butter and Almond Butter all the time. Some people find it far too restrictive, but I find it really easy. Major bonus- I consume very few chemicals and processed additives. I just don't like the idea of putting that stuff in my body. However, if you plan to be mostly Vegan, you may find it a challenge, as lean proteins from animal sources are a key component of Paleo/Primal. Hope you find something that works for you!
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Sure picked extreme opposite ends of the spectrum.
  • blondiebabe92
    Options

semi-vegan is like being semi-pregnant.....you either are, or you are not. Personally I think that if you abstain from something for lent, it makes little sense to make a two hour trip for special food and spend all that money on gas.
    Maybe you need to keep it simple. I know people who will have no cheat meals or cheat days, others only have chocolate or other treats only once a week. I bet there will be quite few threads over the next few days.
    Well my main worry is if I decide to continue I don't want that restriction of having to drive to get groceries especially on my limited budget (gas is a pain in the butt, my budget is really tight) and when I graduate right now I am going home. And there is no store that is super vegan friendly for over an hour and a half. I think it may actually be closer to two.
    I am thinking more of a cheat day then semi-vegan. Sorry senior year brain fried. Not always thinking straight.
  • blondiebabe92
    Options
    Check out Happy Herbivore, its a plant-based oil-free diet plan. Its technically vegan but not labeled as such, and it puts more emphasis on eating whole plant based foods!
    I really like this thank you for the suggestion :)
    I eat Paleo/Primal, and it's a great lifestyle for me. Basically, I eat very little to no processed foods, and avoid grains. I do eat dairy products, and I also eat legumes, unlike many strict Paleos. I keep my carbs between 50-75 g a day most days, sometimes lower. I find it easy to sustain, because I enjoy fruits, vegetables, lean protein like chicken and turkey, and eggs. I also get to eat Peanut Butter and Almond Butter all the time. Some people find it far too restrictive, but I find it really easy. Major bonus- I consume very few chemicals and processed additives. I just don't like the idea of putting that stuff in my body. However, if you plan to be mostly Vegan, you may find it a challenge, as lean proteins from animal sources are a key component of Paleo/Primal. Hope you find something that works for you!

I have heard good things about paleo and that is what makes me want to try it.

Sure picked extreme opposite ends of the spectrum.

Lol yeah, these are two that I have heard people get good results with exercise. I mean if you do it right most diets get good results, I have been looking at vegan for years and my cousin just did a huge weight loss with paleo and my roommate is doing it so I though I would ask my fitness pal.
  • archaichoney
    archaichoney Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Why say Semi-vegan? It ain't vegan.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Lol yeah, these are two that I have heard people get good results with exercise. I mean if you do it right most diets get good results, I have been looking at vegan for years and my cousin just did a huge weight loss with paleo and my roommate is doing it so I though I would ask my fitness pal.

Calorie deficits cause weightless, the type of diet is purely preferential, although keeping macros in mind is recommended for certain body composition results.

That being said, if you try either way of eating and it helps you maintain a calorie deficit but still meet all of your nutritional needs, macro and micro, then I don't have any issue with either way of eating. But restricting ones diet to such extremes isn't necessary for success.

I get the lent thing too, just know what you're getting yourself into. Shopping for paleo can actually be really easy. Most people think you need to buy organic, free range, all that nonsense, but if you just follow the types of food rather than the tiny aforementioned details, then its simple and cheap.
  • happysummerrunner
    happysummerrunner Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've only tried vegan (for 2 months) it was truly terrible for me. So I would pick paleo between the two. I have paleo meals I guess- they're fine. :)

I should add- I have vegan meals sometimes too- also fine. I think when I ate completely vegan I didn't get enough calories or protein. I was miserable.
  • arios952013
    arios952013 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Try the Eat to Live, by Dr. Fuhrman. It is a lot of good fruits and vegetables with limited meats. Many success stories. I am enjoying it now and it is fairly easy and straightforward. It isn't a fad diet like Paleo but a way of living.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    What the frack is a semi-vegan? I don't think they allow that...
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Ask a hippie, and a caveman. They will have the best answer for you.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Are you Catholic? Lent is meant as 40 days of sacrifice of something for God; so they give up alcohol, soft drinks, sweets, etc. as an "offering"
    I think it's kinda' odd to change your whole philosophy of eating for Lent. Maybe just do as others do & give up just one "vice"?

ETA: if you have to ask, you haven't done enough homework on what fits your lifestyle and preferences. Examine it more and figure out what works for you.

ETA again: Observing a religious ritual of sacrifice, but not for actual sacrifice. Adopting a vegan diet, but not because you object to animal-derived products (as Paleo is very animal-based) or Paleo, which can be rather pricey, but you're on a limited budget.
    And those are your two choices, but you're on a website designed for calorie tracking.
    Seems very strange.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    my opinion would be to do neither and just identify what a 500 calorie per day deficit is and eat to that number…

and maybe try to work out/move more or set some strength training goals...