Whole Grain Hamburger Helper

Options
I know, I know, but wait, this is whole grain pasta, no MSG, and no preservatives. Still a better choice than the regular! I made 2 boxes of the Cheeseburger Macaroni with one pound of ground chuck very well drained and a bag of frozen brocolli. It was really good and all made with this weeks sale items. I thought it was really good and economical. I figure buying products like this lets the company know we want better products.

There were 3 at the store- Cheeseburger Macaroni, Beef Stroganoff, and a Lemon Herbed Chicken

Replies

• orange_avocado
    Options
    Sounds good! I'm a huge supporter of using our consumer power to let companies know what kinds of food we want!

I make a home-made version by just buying whole wheat noodles, ground beef (or more often, tuna) and a McCormick spice packet or my own spices. Just as easy as Hamburger Helper and I can usually find that stuff on better sale.
  • StPattysGrl
    Options
    But how does the sodium compare? Is it just as high as the original?
  • Amber030583
    Amber030583 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I have a box of the stroganoff at home myself. Haven't tried it yet. I did make the regular Beef Pasta with ground turkey instead. :)
  • Katherine912
    Katherine912 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    This may be good in a pinch and better than the original Hamburger helper, but it is still a processed food. We need to focus on putting whole, natural, real foods in our bodies!

Good luck on your journey!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    This may be good in a pinch and better than the original Hamburger helper, but it is still a processed food. We need to focus on putting whole, natural, real foods in our bodies!

Good luck on your journey!

I so agree. From what I see from the Betty Crocker website it is the same old stuff and it is not a true whole grain. So, no more healthy and being marketed as such.

And of course people are buying into it hook, line and sinker.

I am sorry, but this isn't the message I want sent to these companies. Personally, I would love nothing more than to run companies like Betty Crocker, Kelloggs, Proctor and Gamble, General Mills, Nabisco -- Run them all out of business, that will tell them that we as consumers are NOT buying the crap that they are selling.

Yes, good luck on your journey.
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options
    Actually, Regular Cheeseburger Macaroni has (prepared) 310 cal, 19% total fat, 810mg sodium, 2g sugar, and <1g dietary fiber.

Whole Grain Cheeseburger Macaroni has (prepared) 310 cal. 20% total fat, 570mg sodium, 1g sugar, and 2g dietary fiber.

Ok, it's not perfect, it's still processed, but it's better than it was. It's progress. In this day and age where budget really rules our purchases, I think it's great that they are at least trying to give us what we are showing that we want.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Actually, Regular Cheeseburger Macaroni has (prepared) 310 cal, 19% total fat, 810mg sodium, 2g sugar, and <1g dietary fiber.

Whole Grain Cheeseburger Macaroni has (prepared) 310 cal. 20% total fat, 570mg sodium, 1g sugar, and 2g dietary fiber.

Ok, it's not perfect, it's still processed, but it's better than it was. It's progress. In this day and age where budget really rules our purchases, I think it's great that they are at least trying to give us what we are showing that we want.

Maybe in your circle that is what people want.

In my circle, we want different things. I don't want processed foods. I want people to have access to organic and whole foods at affordable prices. I will lobby for this change until I die. We don't want some processed white flour food with specs of grain that some manufacturer is touting it as whole grain when its not. It is still an enriched food product.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Going with Grokette here...

It would be nice if people could understand what whole grain should mean and what advertising folks use it to mean (thusly praying on the ignorant.)

Pasta (Whole Wheat Flour), Corn Starch, Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Salt, Whey, Reduced Protein Whey, Hydrolyzed Soy
    and Corn Protein, Sugar, Natural Flavor, Yeast Extract, Potassium Chloride, Citric Acid, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Onion (Dried), Ricotta Cheese (Dried) (Whey, Milkfat, Lactic Acid, Salt), Parsley Flakes, Lactic Acid, Calcium Lactate, Spice, Silicon Dioxide (Anticaking Agent), Colored with Annatto and Turmeric Extract.

See the ENRICHED FLOUR? This ain't whole grain.

Why not just grab a bag of noodles and toss in your own flavorings? Seriously, it's cheaper than this junk. You'd get much more bang for your buck with real food than Betty Crocker's. :) So don't use cost as the motivator for poor quality foods, even if it is a step in the right direction, it isn't that great.

PS - see the partially hydrogenated soybean oil...that's icky transfattyness right there for ya too.
  • orange_avocado
    Options
    Why not just grab a bag of noodles and toss in your own flavorings? Seriously, it's cheaper than this junk. You'd get much more bang for your buck with real food than Betty Crocker's. :) So don't use cost as the motivator for poor quality foods, even if it is a step in the right direction, it isn't that great.

I completely agree, and I'd say 9/10 times I make my own food rather than relying on boxed mixes. But honestly? When you're first starting out making food from scratch it can be hard to get that "perfect" mix of spices. I've ruined more that one dish by thinking "mmm this thyme smells great! I'll add a tsp and..." then it tastes awful and I've ruined an entire batch of food. :tongue:

There's something reassuring about picking up a box mix and knowing it will taste the same every time. At least until you feel confident enough to put together your own meals. It's certainly not the healthiest food in the world, and yes, those preservatives et al are harmful, but it's a start.
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options
    I don't have a problem with cooking, I'm really good in the kitchen and I agree, I'd rather use whole foods, unfortunately I can't afford to do it all of the time. It was an affordable better choice. I just try to do the best I can given what I have that day, and buying with the sales, it was the affordable answer. Lower quality foods are more available to lower income families.
    I buy oatmeal, brown rice, beans, eggs and I buy seasonal as well as with the sales.
    Actually, the $1.00 I paid for it was cheaper than the whole wheat pasta, so I will use cost as the motivator. I'm sure I'm not the only person here trying to eat healthier on a tight budget.
    I'm not trying to sway you from whole food, but putting out there that if you have to eat Hamburger Helper, there's a "better" choice.