Am I doing the right things?

Options
I need some advice. I THINK i'm doing things right, but wanted feedback and suggestions.

Here's my current stats/routine:
I'm female, 5'10", 182lbs, goal is 160, I have a medium frame.
BMR= 1633 TDEE= 2245, I try to stick to 1680 calories/day.

I aim for 30% protein, about 120g/day, protein keeps me fuller and from what i've read about macros keeping a higher protein intake will help preserve muscle tissue? I also eat a LOT of fruit, some veggies.

I do 20-30 min HIIT cardio about 3 times/week, resistance training (mostly TRX with a personal trainer) 1-2x/week (I PROBABLY could increase this, but the TRX is usually occupied at my gym) I do the resistance after cardio and don't have much resting time between sets, so my heart rate stays up. I'm usually sore for a day after doing resistance training, and either do light cardio or don't work out the next day.

I'm not terribly active at work ( i'm a therapist and nanny), but I do walk around, play on the playground,sometimes carry small kids around. But i'm rather lazy at home.

Is there anything else/different I should be doing? So far this has been moderately effective. In 5 weeks i've lost about 5 lbs.

Replies

• HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    5lbs in 5 weeks?

You're doing it all right..
  • emmarciana
    Options
    Hey! I think you doing great , I think what is also important is watching what you eat but don't starve yourself, also you should adjust your calorie intake as you lose weight. I am 5'4 started at 165 3 weeks ago now I am at 150. I follow the 1200 cal/day. I cut out rice, meat which wasn't hard because I ate chicken only. I replaced it with mushrooms, broccoli and turkey. The rice I replaced with a baked potatoe, brown bread, tortilla bread, the first week I started I lost 8 pounds. I eat five-six meals incl. fruits, yogurts etc, work out 4/7 days for at least an hour doing cardio. I included this as something that might help :) I am also going to start considering protein!
  • HawkeyeTy
    Options
    Hey! I think you doing great , I think what is also important is watching what you eat but don't starve yourself, also you should adjust your calorie intake as you lose weight. I am 5'4 started at 165 3 weeks ago now I am at 150. I follow the 1200 cal/day. I cut out rice, meat which wasn't hard because I ate chicken only. I replaced it with mushrooms, broccoli and turkey. The rice I replaced with a baked potatoe, brown bread, tortilla bread, the first week I started I lost 8 pounds. I eat five-six meals incl. fruits, yogurts etc, work out 4/7 days for at least an hour doing cardio. I included this as something that might help :) I am also going to start considering protein!

YOU should be eating more...
  • cazattack2
    cazattack2 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

I've lost weight before through dieting alone and saw a much larger drop in the first few weeks. But I guess it's different this time because i'm working out.
  • HawkeyeTy
    Options
    Thanks!

I've lost weight before through dieting alone and saw a much larger drop in the first few weeks. But I guess it's different this time because i'm working out.

Quit trying to rush it.
  • Skarlet13
    Skarlet13 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    One pound per week is excellent. You should be happy!!!
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Faster losses are typically associated with loss of lean mass. Unless you wanna look just as pudgy and smaller, keep doing what you're doing.
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    You're eating plenty of protein and being active, great job :)
    I would personally eat a bit closer to TDEE. It will make weight loss slower, but you will retain more muscle mass.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

Quit trying to rush it.

^I agree with this.
  • cazattack2
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
    I could try eating closer to TDEE, but honestly with all the protein, 1680 cals makes me pretty full. i've heard of eating more carbs on training days so maybe i can try that.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I'm your height but 15 years older, I weigh just slightly less and exercise about the same amount. I calculated my TDEE using Fat2Fit Radio and even with a deficit I still eat between 2000 and 2200 calories a day. I think you might be short-changing yourself nutritionally, despite eating the right amount of protein, by keeping your calories so low. Just something to consider, I'm not a doctor. :)
  • cazattack2
    Options
    I definitely have my more than 1680 days! Especially training days, they're usually about 1800-2100. 1680 is average, after i remove cals from workouts.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    That sounds a lot more sustainable! I think you're definitely doing the "right" things for you. :)