I feel the addiction

Options
2»

Replies

• techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Food addiction is very real. For me, it was fast food. I spent 200-300 dollars a month on fast food alone. I couldn't live without it. It got to the point to where I'd leave my debit card and home and end up digging through my car for spare change just to buy ANYTHING. I would get shaky if I didn't have it and couldn't think of anything else. I cut it out cold turkey and although it was hard, I got over it. Here's an interesting article that you might want to read:

http://www.thatsfit.com/2010/03/30/fast-food-is-like-heroin-studies-find/

Do you even read links you post or just google and post away without reading them

Yes, I read this. No need to be snarky. I think that they may be exaggerating in terms of comparing it to heroin. However, fast food addiction is real and these studies help prove it. My doctor was the one who taught me of this addiction.

Edit: Here is a clearer article from the actual institute that did the study:

http://www.scripps.edu/news/press/2010/20100329.html
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    That the refined sugars cause! There are constantly chocolates, cheesecake, d*mn Girl Scout cookies, donuts, etc. around the office. I am so tempted to eat them and it's like they call my name! I don't attempt to deny myself of treats, but it's really difficult when these things are always staring me in the face. I am finding it easier to walk away from them as each day goes by, but it irritates me the addiction they create!

I know exactly what you mean about food "calling your name" For some reason, when the food isn't around, I don't notice it and I don't "crave" it... but when there are cupcakes in the next room over, I can't stop thinking about eating one! There are days that I could just not have one, and I lived, but vast majority of the time there were too many treats at the workplace and too much encouragement to just eat, eat eat... including my own brain telling me that's what I should do.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I feel bad for all the families and lives destroyed by sugar. Will no one think of the children?!?

think-of-the-children-o.gif
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options

I know exactly what you mean about food "calling your name" For some reason, when the food isn't around, I don't notice it and I don't "crave" it... but when there are cupcakes in the next room over, I can't stop thinking about eating one! There are days that I could just not have one, and I lived, but vast majority of the time there were too many treats at the workplace and too much encouragement to just eat, eat eat... including my own brain telling me that's what I should do.

This is me. I don't buy sweets but occasionally I buy treats for baking, or bake treats, or make icecream etc etc and once I know they're there I literally can't stop thinking about them until I have finished every one off. If there are no treats immediately available I have been known to stick my tongue in the coconut sugar container :tongue:

The only "sweet" thing that I can resist is organic dark chocolate sweetened with agave syrup. The texture and taste is no substitute for the real thing.
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    "Would you like to buy a box of my delicious Girl Scout Cookies?"

Wednesday replies:

"Are they made from real Girl Scouts?"

~The Addams Family

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zH5jRHkXXQ
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Behavior and habit help to form how someone's gets ready for work, how they interact and how they eat. Unless one grew up in a gym, having to learn how to do it habitually takes consistency and desire.
    Same thing with food. Having to change the way you eat, after habitually eating a certain way for a long time can be challenging. But through consistency and some discipline, it can be changed. You don't have to cut out refined sugar forever. You just need to find your way where you can have it and not overdo it. Lol, I actually had a friend who wouldn't eat a piece of birthday cake at any party she went to until she was in her car and practically driving off because she knew she would go back for seconds! So whatever you have to do to make it work.
    But learning how to eat other more nutrient dense foods with sugar and fiber (fruits) can help you transition to eating less refined sugar.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • chard_muncher
    chard_muncher Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    If junk food makes its way into my kitchen I just throw it away. It took a while to build up the habit, but now it's like second nature.
  • shaxmath
    shaxmath Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    If I ever crave that stuff, I just eat it and then get a workout done especially for those cookies/chocolate/ice cream or whatever. Think about it - I eat 3 cookies for a 100 cals, that's 10 min on a stationary bike for me. Some days the thought of having to work it out later puts me off the junk. Other days, I tough it out later! :)

I'm also finding that the more weight I lose, I'm satisfied with less of the junk. I used to eat half or the whole of a box of cookies. Today I ate only 2 so any day soon, I'll get over it and so will you, just hang in there.
  • Zx14chick
    Zx14chick Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I am so proud of my eating this past week! The only sweet I have had is the Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip cupcake that I bought while on vacation. I ate it on the way home and haven't had another sweet since. I have been eating fruit and greek yogurt as my sweets and have felt quite satisfied.

On another note, I have given up fries for lent. I have an unhealthy relationship with fries as well and while I think I should allow myself to have a sweet here and there since I have been doing well, the fries are unnecessary. Wish me luck!