Engineering student here, reporting in

Hey all!

Like the title says, I'm an Engineering student in the UK. I feel like I could do with losing a bit weight so I thought I'd get onto MFP just to get myself a little more motivated. I'm a trumpet player in my spare time and I work in a pub.

I did have a question though - I do a sport called Kendo but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be in the exercise tracker. Does anyone know what I should input that as? I want it to be as accurate as possible, as I'm sure you all understand.

Thanks!
A_A

Replies

• janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    You can add it in on Exercisese - Cardiovascular - Add

Welcome! And GL!!!
  • I've tried that but if I search for Kendo it just says "no results found". I was hoping someone might have some ideas of what I could enter that's similar in terms of calorie demand.
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 522 Member
    If you invest in a Heart Rate Monitor (they are about fifty dollars in The States), you can measure your calorie expenditure during a session or two of your exercise. Then just enter it in as a new exercise, and it will be there for you to use when you do the exercise in the future (MFP will adjust the calorie expenditure based on the amount of time for each session).

Have fun!
  • hazstar
    hazstar Posts: 17
    As mentioned above you could buy a heart rate monitor, or if you can't afford one (I'm a student as well!) look online to see what calories are burned through it? I'm sure someone will have asked before. But make sure you know they will only be approx values and yours could be higher/lower depending.

If you want a heart rate monitor Argos sell some which aren't that expensive, and seem to have good reviews :)
  • asciident
    asciident Posts: 166 Member
    A heart rate monitor (HRM) is the best way to estimate your own personal burn. If that's not feasible for you right now (due to cost or inability to wear it during the activity) you can look for others who've tried estimating it before. I don't know anything about Kendo, but I found this:

http://www.kendo-world.com/forum/forum/kendo/training/14044-calories-burned-doing-kendo

Like others say, you can just create a new exercise in the MFP database with your own estimation. I would be careful eating back all of these exercise calories (if you're doing MFP method vs TDEE). A lot of people prefer to stick to eating back 50-75% of estimated calories unless they're wearing a HRM in order to avoid overeating their burn.

Good luck :)
  • clwxx
    clwxx Posts: 2
    Hi, do you have a PE or Biology dept at college? They may be able to loan you a heart monitor, and they may even like the results too!
    Cxx
  • clwxx
    clwxx Posts: 2
    Hi, do you have a PE or Biology dept at college? They may be able to loan you a heart monitor, and they may even like to use your results too!
    Good luck!
    Cxx
  • otter090812
    otter090812 Posts: 380 Member
    Hi, do you have a PE or Biology dept at college? They may be able to loan you a heart monitor, and they may even like the results too!
    Cxx

^genius! :flowerforyou:
  • Hi, do you have a PE or Biology dept at college? They may be able to loan you a heart monitor, and they may even like to use your results too!
    Good luck!
    Cxx

That's a really good idea! I might have to make inquiries to that effect but thanks for the suggestion.