Headaches...

Options
The past two days I've had such nasty headaches. It feels like I'm being stabbed over and over again. It makes me want to do nothing but lie in bed with an ice pack on my head. I don't want to eat but I know I have to.

My problem is I'm allergic to all over the counter pain med (acetaminaphin-Tylenol, ibuprophen-Motrin, naproxin-Aleve, and asprin-Exedrin). (Ok I don't know how to spell them)

Does anyone have any suggestions to help my headache without pills???

BTW I didn't know where to post this so I hope it doesn't bother anyone that I chose this section....

Replies

• ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried acupuncture, chiropractics, massages, reiki, etc? These are all non-pill remedies that many people find to be totally helpful. I've had headaches for almost as long as I can remember, and all of these have proven to be at least somewhat helpful. GOOD LUCK!
  • Amber030583
    Amber030583 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I get bad headaches also. The main ingredient in Excedrin Migraine is Caffeine. Try consuming more caffeine then normal. Best of luck!

(btw I know where you are coming from I have been known to puke from my headaches.)

Take Care!
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Are you sick too or do you just have a headache?
    For me it depends on the cause of the headache. Sometimes drinking water and eating some fruit seems to help.
    I also like to take a relaxing bath. Getting a neck massage might also help.

I use to get headaches all the time and then found out I have a milk allergy. If you get headaches frequently you should definitley look into the root cause.

I hope you feel better!
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    cherries and almonds also help with headaches......as well as caffeine as someone earlier said....
    also make sure you are getting plenty of water....especially if you arer consuming caffeine, it can dehydrate you quicker...

nothing's worse than a bad headache....get better soon

Dani :flowerforyou:
  • dancewithgiggi
    Options
    The herb Feverfew is suppose to. Could the headaches be withdrawal headaches? - sugar, coffee? I'd say see your doc:smile:
  • Mamasota
    Mamasota Posts: 144
    Options
    Some things that may help (I have simliar problems and allergies are often a trigger). Drink as much water as is comfortable. Headaches are worse if you are dehydrated. Change your sheets. Lying on a clean bed often helps. In fact, try to get your room as clean, cool and dark as possible. Take a very warm shower and wash your hair. The massage and washing out any outdoor poullants could help. Put an ice pack at the nape of your neck. Don't eat anything that could be a trigger - ice cream and nuts are often cuprits. Try breathing exercises to try to relax. Bad headaches make you tense up which only makes them worse.

If the headache persists, go see the doctor. The fact that it has been 2 days and the pain is stabbing should be red flags that you might need medical attention.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you might be having migraines. Sensitivity to light, noise, movement? Are you experiencing nausea? Or it could be something else. Migraines aren't relieved by over the counter anti-inflammatories, anyway. I've had migraines for years.

You need to see a doctor to rule out serious issues. Then you can begin to tackle the triggers.
  • newme11292010
    Options
    I love your "rewards" for your goals!! Enjoy your manicure!!
  • Squash97
    Options
    For my migraines, I use Excedrin (which you said you can't use), but what also works is to put an ice pack on the back of my neck. Also, caffeine can be helpful (like the amount in a cup of coffee - not soda) because it can constrict those blood vessels which are currently dialated and causing that throbbing pain. i hope that you feel better soon! Migraines are NO FUN!
  • lastchance2010
    lastchance2010 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    well for the first month I had excruciating headaches as well and this will be my second week that I'm head ache free. I'm not much of a pill popper, however, I did take Excederine a few times. Wut else worked was putting the icepack on my neck and after a while it would subside for a while at least. Drinking an obscene amount of water helped a bit too. Hope this helps. Feel better and also i think i had headaches cuz i gave up both soda and "white" n e thing...have u done that recently too cuz if so, it will go away after a while...
  • happy_jax
    happy_jax Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I suffer from terrible migraines, so share your pain!

Although they look like a gimmick - the 'cooling bars' you rub on your skin - such as "4head" (http://www.4headaches.co.uk/) actually do really work! I'm not saying they're going to cure the headache, but they certainly do help with the pain if you can't take meds.

Otherwise - as everyone else has suggested, plenty of water and ensure you're in a cool environment. Also, ensure you don't use anything scented at all - even if you think it's not affecting you, even a sweet smelling shower gel can aggravate your head!

Good luck and hope you feel better soon!!
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Try consuming more caffeine then normal

I find that caffeine is great...most of the time. Be careful, though, as it can be a trigger for some.
  • VCStarr
    VCStarr Posts: 155
    Options
    Thank you everyone.

I don't usually have any caffeine...not a soda or coffee drinker but I could try it.

The water is a great suggestion.

Everyone seems to agree that and an ice pack go a long way. I usually put the ice pack on my forehead. I will try the back of my neck.

I have been diagnosed with daily chronic headache (the doc says there's not much I can do about that), tension headaches,sinus headaches, and rebound headaches. not migraines. I know it's not a rebound headache because I haven't been treating headaches for a while because I only had the normal minor ones. Plus I discovered i was allergic to the meds.

I will try all of your suggestions and thank you so much for the help!!
  • jsecret
    jsecret Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone.

I don't usually have any caffeine...not a soda or coffee drinker but I could try it.

The water is a great suggestion.

Everyone seems to agree that and an ice pack go a long way. I usually put the ice pack on my forehead. I will try the back of my neck.

I have been diagnosed with daily chronic headache (the doc says there's not much I can do about that), tension headaches,sinus headaches, and rebound headaches. not migraines. I know it's not a rebound headache because I haven't been treating headaches for a while because I only had the normal minor ones. Plus I discovered i was allergic to the meds.

I will try all of your suggestions and thank you so much for the help!!

Chronic headaches suck. I had them for a few months and was completely miserable. Have you found the cause yet? I know for me it was the type of birth control I was on - depo shot (which unforunatly is irreversible and had to wear off on its own). check into everything and see if you can find the "trigger" for your headaches. Good luck :)
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I get 4-5 headaches a week...some more severe than others. Usually two or three migraines a month as well (since the age of three). Thankfully, they have not been as bad since I have started working out regularly. I've been put on pretty much every single med for my migraines, and each will work for a while but never forever. Hydrocodone is what I've been on...but have been weening myself off of it.

As for non-medication solutions, the best solution (for me) has been to take a very hot shower...not not enough to scald, but hot enough that you'll get pinkish. I mainly try and keep my head and the rest of my body under the shower head. After this, I usually begin some breathing exercises. Deep breaths in, deep breaths out. After every third or fourth breath, I knock the temperature of the water down a small notch. The idea is to take it down very gradually. Keep doing this until the water is freezing cold. I try and do it until I notice I am having some difficulty maintaining my breathing. That's usually cold enough. :wink:

That method tricks your body into lowering your blood pressure...one of the biggest causes (for me) of migraines. My BP is normally pretty good (112/72 last check).

For those of you who have never experienced a migraine...ever had an ice-cream headache? That sudden pain in your head brought on by the intake of something too cold too quickly? That's technically a migraine. Imagine that going on for hours or even days. Tip: If it's only an ice-cream headache, rub your tongue on the room of your mouth quickly. The rapid cooling of the nerve in the roof of your mouth caused a sudden change in your BP, resulting in the headache. Rubbing your tongue there will stimulate the nerve, warming it, and causing the headache to go away.
  • jsecret
    jsecret Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Migraines suck. Period. I get a couple a month still and have since I was about 12, the only time I didn't get them was when I was pregnant (AWESOME!). I usually just gotta deal with it (hence lay in bed, in the dark, with a cool cloth on my forehead) until it gets bad enough to throw up then I'm suddenly better. Sometimes it only take a few hours - sometimes a couple days. But migraines, I'm convinced, are some of the worst pain in the world since it seems any sound (including your own thoughts), movement, light will cause your head to explode.