Low Carb High Protein

Options
lj5109
lj5109 Posts: 81 Member
I've been following a low carb high protein diet for the past two weeks. I find myself feeling tired throughout the day. I am also taking cinnamon supplements to regulate my blood sugar throughout the day. My eating patterns have also changed. I find myself feeling like I need to eat right before bed now, something that didn't happen before I changed my diet.

Let me know your thoughts!

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Carbs are your body's energy source. It's normal; to feel tired when you aren't eating them, because they energize you. Make sure you're eating enough calories and enough fat. If you're still tired, add the carbs back in. Eating low carb is not really sustainable for most people.

Do you have a specific medical reason for cutting them out?
  • lj5109
    lj5109 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Carbs are your body's energy source. It's normal; to feel tired when you aren't eating them, because they energize you. Make sure you're eating enough calories and enough fat. If you're still tired, add the carbs back in. Eating low carb is not really sustainable for most people.

Do you have a specific medical reason for cutting them out?

I haven't cut them out completely, I still enjoy some foods that are low carb. But I avoid the processed carbs.
    I am insulin resistant and I have PCOS
  • swaggityswagbag
    swaggityswagbag Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    High protein is redundant on a low carb protein, because if you eat way over your body's protein requirements, it just turns into glucose. If you want to do low carb, you should do MODERATE protein and the rest of your daily calorie requirements should come from FAT as a replacement source of energy. Protein is not an energy source. You either use carbs or fat or both, and if you cut out carbs you have to replace that with fat.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    2 weeks is early days, you'll be adapting to burning fat rather than carbs. Low carb high fat is generally preferred as protein isn't a great energy source but the body is tuned to use carbs and fats as available.

Keep your salt intake up as the lack of carbs will mean you're losing more sodium to urine than normal and this often leads to "Atkins flu" symptoms of light headedness, fatigue etc.
  • raymondo510
    Options
    Not sure if this helps but for instance im at about 175g of carbs right now and do 3 or 4 days of cardio. Try increasing your cardio and give yourself some more carbs so you can continue your goal, works for me.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this helps but for instance im at about 175g of carbs right now and do 3 or 4 days of cardio. Try increasing your cardio and give yourself some more carbs so you can continue your goal, works for me.

100 - 150g of carbs are a good area to aim for. (Try getting them from veggies)

If you're making the switch to what for you may be a healthier way eating I would suggest cutting back on the grains and refined sugar ( or cutting out all together if you can) at least for 30 days.

Who knows you may see a benefit. After all grains don't really offer anything you need on a low carb diet.

Good luck