Herbalife .... ?

Options
Has anyone tried this product & been successful ? yes i know the price & yes i am willing to spend ... recent had a baby and don't have a lot of time to cook / eat .. but i do of course need the protein ! & i also need to lose the baby weight ...

any success ??? if so how much & in what duration of time ?
Thanks Everyone !!!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The biggest issue with Herbalife and many other of the "protein shake" weight loss programs is they do not teach you how to eat and on top of that, they cut calories a lot. These cause a few issue, one if you never learned how to eat, then the moment you go off, you will gain your weight back. Second when you cut calories a lot, muscle loss becomes a strong factor. While it's common to lose some muscle during weight loss (your body just won't need as much to support your body) you want to minimize that loss as much as possible since its directly tied to your metabolic rate (adaptive thermogenesis or metabolic adaptation being key phrases in this arena).

So instead of wasting money on these high cost protein shakes, spend the time for yourself and your baby and learn how to eat. Keep in mind, that your habitual eating habits will eventually be picked up by your child (not always but there is a good chance). Set reasonable goals such as below. Eat foods high in protein and fats for satiety and if you exercise do a combination of resistance training and cardio. If you follow the latter plan, you will set yourself for long term success.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    The biggest issue with Herbalife and many other of the "protein shake" weight loss programs is they do not teach you how to eat and on top of that, they cut calories a lot. These cause a few issue, one if you never learned how to eat, then the moment you go off, you will gain your weight back. Second when you cut calories a lot, muscle loss becomes a strong factor. While it's common to lose some muscle during weight loss (your body just won't need as much to support your body) you want to minimize that loss as much as possible since its directly tied to your metabolic rate (adaptive thermogenesis or metabolic adaptation being key phrases in this arena).

So instead of wasting money on these high cost protein shakes, spend the time for yourself and your baby and learn how to eat. Keep in mind, that your habitual eating habits will eventually be picked up by your child (not always but there is a good chance). Set reasonable goals such as below. Eat foods high in protein and fats for satiety and if you exercise do a combination of resistance training and cardio. If you follow the latter plan, you will set yourself for long term success.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Yep.
  • dgirllamius
    dgirllamius Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    My brother does this. He has lost a tonne of weight. The thing is he is still doing it. Now he looks awful. He looks ill.

He is too scared to start eating again - he knows he will gain weight if he does.

Plus it's an absolute rip off. He asked if I wanted to do it - no way I could afford that price tag.
  • kidtechnical2
    kidtechnical2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This explains why the product is so expensive, it's not because it's a superior product, it's because there are lots of people to pay.

"· Herbalife Products are extremely over-priced. Take a look at the products on their website and compare them to the sort of stuff you get at a supermarket or health shop – They’re over double the price.

· Herbalife Products are expensive because there are a lot of people to pay - the Distributor, their sponsor, their sponsors up line, the company. It is due to this that these prices are so expensive. It has been proved that Herbalife Products are sold at over 700% their cost price, but only 50% of a sale goes to a Distributor. Therefore if you brought a product for $1000, based on the following statistics $500 would go to the Distributor, $143 would go back to Herbalife as a ‘cost of good sold’, and $357 of your money would be split among the pyramid, so that everyone on that Distributors up line gets a share."

http://www.freewebs.com/herbalifereport/whatsell.html