How to not go over my sugar everyday?

Options
Today, I ate a total of 60 g of sugar, all from natural sources (fruit and a few dried figs). I occasionally indulge in a store bought cookie here and there, but most days, I don't eat processed sugar. Should I reduce the amount of fruit I'm eating? The red numbers below my sugar requirements drive me crazy.

Replies

• toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Your best bet is just to shut that column off.
    Don't worry about it.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Yup, don't sweat it, especially if you're getting your sugar from fruit. Fruit is good for you! Just stick to your calorie goal and remember to brush your teeth and you'll be golden :-)
  • arenad
    arenad Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I never pay attention to my sugar. Sometimes I am already near my limit after breakfast. The sugar limit is very low IMO.
  • harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Shut it off, MFP sugar count is totally irrelevant.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Your best bet is just to shut that column off.
    Don't worry about it.

This - I took the column out and replaced it with calcium. I hated seeing the red sugar number each day - even on the days I was eating mostly whole food and hitting both my macro and micro nutrients.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Don't cut back on fruit.

If you're really that worried cut back on refined sugar.

But really at the levels you're talking - don't sweat it!
  • thecrushinator
    thecrushinator Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Yes, ignoring / shutting off the sugar read out is an option. Or better yet switch to vegetables, like tomatoes, carrots, celery, broccoli. (Yes tomato is technically a fruit too) Fruit while "good for you" does have higher fructose than veggies, the fructose can spike your insulin levels.
  • DeBiKin
    DeBiKin Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I upped my sugar goal.

Dairy products and fruit and even some vegetables make it go off the chart.
    I still have it on my diary so I can watch it but I too kept going over and hate those red numbers.

You can take it off but if you do like to keep an eye on it, just up it, it's your diary, your goals.

=D
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Yes, ignoring / shutting off the sugar read out is an option. Or better yet switch to vegetables, like tomatoes, carrots, celery, broccoli. (Yes tomato is technically a fruit too) Fruit while "good for you" does have higher fructose than veggies, the fructose can spike your insulin levels.

Well why switch out fruit for veggies if you prefer fruit to hit your micros? Why not enjoy both?

most people really don't need to worry that much about insulin:
    http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319 (5 part series on insulin's undeserved bad rep)