Food and motiivation ideas please?

Options
I always start my day off with the intention to eat healthily. I log my food in advance and then always end up going over my calories! I can't always / don't want to always! fit in exercise every day to allow for this so I was wondering if people have any tips on resisting that mid-afternoon cookie or evening packet of crisps? I have looked at a few other people's diaries and notice that quite a few eat little and often. I love trying out new healthy recipes (preferably ones that my children will eat too) so if anyone has any recipes and / or advice to inspire me please add it here! Thanks in advance! x

Replies

• ntftnm
    ntftnm Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I too start off with good intentions but then the day and my mouth get away from me...On the few days I do really well with logging I log ahead, but then I kind of work with the numbers....I rarely ever exercise, (I have 3 small kids and a messy house) I don't ever seem to have time for it....When I play with the numbers I put in different foods that I like but swap them out for foods with less calories so I can have more...For example last night I was going to have brown rice but then I swapped that for broccoli and cauliflower with alfredo sauce. That saved a lot of calories and I was still able to have 2 huge sugar cookies as a bed time snack...a 300 calorie bedtime snack...lol.
  • mama2lilcuties
    Options
    I use skinnytaste.com for about 80% of my meals and snack ideas. I love this website as she lists the portion size and the nutritional information. Also an added bonus is most of the recipes are in the MFP data base. My husband and 2 children have liked the recipes as well. I hope this helps.
  • 123stefania
    123stefania Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Just went to the website, very interesting, for sure I will try some recipes, thank you.
    I often cook meal from Runner's world magazine, their recipe are full of proteins, I specially like the Bean bourguignon and the Garlic-shrimp-whitebean tomatoes too.
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    I use skinnytaste.com for about 80% of my meals and snack ideas. I love this website as she lists the portion size and the nutritional information. Also an added bonus is most of the recipes are in the MFP data base. My husband and 2 children have liked the recipes as well. I hope this helps.

I love that Gina uses MFP!!! It's so helpful :smile:
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way, my appetite is the strongest in the afternoon so I try to leave my bigger "meals" for after lunch and have a big calorie snack and/or dinner. Drinking more water helps a ton with appetite (you could just be thirsty). Coffee helps as well to supress appetite, at least for me.

Bottom line is that nobody is forcing that food down your throat. If you don't want to eat it, dont. If you do want to eat it, make up the calories by working out. Good luck!
  • jeffininer
    jeffininer Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Oh the 'goodies' we have around the office! I've been able to resist because I've found alternate snacks that I really enjoy and will be better for me than the junk.

If a pre-pack my snacks and keep them in my desk drawer, I'm more likely to have those then the other stuff around or offered to me. If you're at home, keep a bowl of pre-portioned snacks at the ready. I always have something sweet and something salty to make sure if I have a craving I'm prepared and won't just go for what's around.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    First, I look at the daily totals with a degree of latitude because I've been logging food on MFP, then converting to Weight Watchers points. On WW, I get more food. So if I go over a little on my MFP numbers, I'm not worried so much.

Second, for "mid morning" or "mid afternoon" snack, I have a Chocolite protein bar (www.healthsmartfoods.com). I found them at a bariatric store, and initially got a few for my husband, but have found I like them too - they have about 10g protein, about 10g fiber, around 100 calories, and are sugar free, gluten free. My fav is the triple chocolate fudge.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I've been on this journey for about a year now and have found that making all of my food on the weekends and bringing it in to the office helps in resisting the horrible snacks that are lying around here.
    I usually roast a chicken or lean meat loin and cut it up and bring the whole thing to work. Along with some sauteed veggies, quinoa, salad and other sides I always have something on hand. I have a jar of peanut butter in the breakroom at all times, in case I need a qucik snack and I usually use brown rice or wheat cakes to eat with it for some crunch.
    The only way to trully resist those snacks is to fill in your diary in the morning with everything you plan to eat...then stick to it and tell yourself YOU ARE WORTH not eating those sugary, unhealthy snacks. Of course, you should also treat yourself every once in a while. Truffles are one of my favorite treats and on 70 calories each, I can walk an extra 5 minutes to burn that off, if I feel like it.
    Good luck!!!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I try to keep the carving things out of the house as much as possible. I also try to leave a few extra calories when I plan my day. If I make it thru I can have a treat at the end of the day. If I don't and give in to the cookie in the break room at least I'm still close and may have to change something in my dinner.
  • laisydaisy86
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your ideas! I've looked up the websites and added some bookmarks as it looks like something I'll go back to! Good luck on your journeys too! xx