tracking non-weight results

Anniesquats100
Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,233 Member
Hi. I'm wondering how people track results that are fitness/health but not weight.

My personal goals are to improve focus, sleep and digestion, so is there a good way to track that?
For now I am giving these a grade of A to F in my exercise notes, and then also noting pain there, which covers soreness/injuries and migraines. Maybe illness too. Because of my food allergies, I would love to be able to see patterns, for example, if too much sugar disrupts my sleep. Do people do that with this site?

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Great question!

For most of my clients I address sleep, Vitamin D, and how they feel after eating.

Sleep is priority #1 since studies indicate that people who sleep 6 hours or less have 30% higher insulin resistance.
    Vitamin D is next since it's more of a hormone and associated with a ton of physical and mental issues.
    Get D high but know your numbers first!
    Finally, if you feel like absolute garbage after eating bred, pasta, pizza, peppers.....anything, order some VSL#3 and go through 1 round of it (1 month).

Oh!
    Lift weights!!!!

Hope that helps!
  • Yes, as this guy mentioned Lift weights! Checkout www.bodybuilding.com for workout plans, meal plans, and all health related questions. The causes of of some of your pains are from bad food. Such as fast food and processed. Make sure most of your meals are homemade they taste better and cheaper than buying McDonalds. Sleeping wise, my wife was suffering from insomnia, after she started lifting weights she started sleeping earlier and longer.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    OP, if I were you, I'd use the "measurements" (actually called "check-in") section to create your own wellness parameters (instead of "waist" or "biceps", enter things like "sleep quality", etc) and rate each numerically (like 1-50 or something) and update them.

ETA: yep. It works. You'll be able to see trends in the "reports" section.

I hope this helps!

Wow! Sure is a lot of reading comprehension fail!
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member

My thoughts exactly!

OP: I agre with DamePiglet - use the check in section if you want to track that stuff on here. I also sometimes use the "notes" section on the daily food diary. But like you, I also track other things (ie. sleep, focus, digestion) in a separate journal.
  • DamePiglet

My thoughts exactly!

OP: I agre with DamePiglet - use the check in section if you want to track that stuff on here. I also sometimes use the "notes" section on the daily food diary. But like you, I also track other things (ie. sleep, focus, digestion) in a separate journal.

Thank God you noticed that, too! I thought it was me for a minute!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Sorry to say the same thing but YES, lift weights - I can honestly say I have never felt better/happier/healthier since starting strength training.

Helloitsdan: didn't know that about sleep/insulin resistance - must try harder to get my 8 hrs - learning all the time on this site :)

ETA: no idea how to track the things you mentioned but others ideas sound good.
  • DamePiglet
    OP: just a question... Would your username happen to be "AnnieSquats" because you squat (meaning weights)?
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Thanks - I will try the measurements section.

Squatting is a goal. Someday I will squat 100 pounds.

I messed around with it before. I ride horses, and am constantly challenged by short legs. It turns out short legs (and quads from riding) are great for squats. I have an unweighted bar, and somewhere I have a video about form, but I never got beyond practicing form with the bar.

And yes, I take Vitamin D, and will be lifting weights again soon. Thanks for the great help!