Bodymedia Armband

Options

Replies

• kathleenjoyful
    kathleenjoyful Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I got a BodyMedia Fit Link two weeks ago. Before that I had a Jawbone UP which was helpful, but more like a glorified pedometer. BodyMedia has helped me determine my TRUE TDEE, as my calculations and estimates were very far off. I have a very active lifestyle and I'd underestimated the burn I get from NEAT, including step count. Now I have a BodyMedia I don't use a heart rate monitor, I let the BodyMedia calculate a burn for cardio and lifting. I was actually shocked at the numbers the BodyMedia gave me, I thought I was eating enough (around 2000 calories) to fuel my body for the cardio and lifting I do while losing weight slowly and sustainably. The BodyMedia showed I'd been under eating by a lot, and that explained why I was hungry ALL THE TIME. The BodyMedia also helps me see how many calories I can maintain my weight at, so I never have to worry again about a day where I think I've gone "over". I wouldn't be without it now, and I'd recommend it over other fitness trackers. There are similar trackers coming on to the market but I went with the BodyMedia because it's tried and tested, this isn't its first model, and friends have used them with great success. I find it very motivating and the data is useful, as is the feedback it gives. I still log food through MyFitnessPal and have them synced.
  • saxygirl79
    saxygirl79 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have had my BodyMedia Fit Link for over a year. I love it - but I've lost 2 lbs in the last year. Needless to say I'm frustrated. I always have a deficit, but maybe I should let BodyMedia calculate how many cals I should take in as opposed to sticking to 1400-1500/day - maybe I'm undereating...and what my body was doing 96 lbs ago is different than now. Am I the only one who's terrified to add more than 1500 cals a day? I really need to evaluate what I'm doing wrong because something's not working..I'm not gaining anything really, but some weeks I'll go down, some weeks I'll go up so it's a teeter totter thing happening and with 60 more lbs to lose, losing hardly anything in the last year is not working!! Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks much!
  • prmilkshake
    Options
    @saxygirl79 - have you tried a low carb or ketosis diet? I've had great success in losing weight this way. I know everybody's body is different but it may be worth a shot if you are still not seeing results.
  • robbhendrick
    Options
    @kathleenjoyfu
    I used the BodyBugg (now Bodymedia) and loved it. I lost 60lbs in 10 months. I agree that entering food with Bodymedia's app or website isn't nearly as convenient as MFP. Can you please provide more details on how the 2 are integrated? What are the drawbacks? Do they conflict at all? Thanks in advance.
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I have the Bodymedia link and I love it! One of the best investments I've made next to a food scale! LOL I've been thinking about getting something different for summer time but there just isn't anything as accurate out there.
  • jirwin323
    jirwin323 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've been looking at buying one of these to calculate the calories I burn while cycling. I have a indoor bike trainer that I use every day for about an hour - would the BodyMedia count these calories? I've heard it can only calculate calories when moving and obviously my arms don't move while biking. Any information is greatly appreciated.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I've been looking at buying one of these to calculate the calories I burn while cycling. I have a indoor bike trainer that I use every day for about an hour - would the BodyMedia count these calories? I've heard it can only calculate calories when moving and obviously my arms don't move while biking. Any information is greatly appreciated.

The BodyMedia website says you can put it on your calf for cycling. I've tried it both ways for cycling, and I think putting it on your calf overestimates how many calories you burn. So when I ride the bike, I keep it on my arm and it still shows significant calorie burn--450- 500 for an hour of cycling.
  • SnowWhiteFanatic
    SnowWhiteFanatic Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I love my link. I've had it since October and I cannot go without it. The straps I have had to change 2x already in 6 months. I always keep a back up one and they aren't that expensive.
  • kmiskow
    kmiskow Posts: 24
    Options
    Excuse my ignorance, but what is the difference in core and link? Also, do you have to do the monthly fee or can you just monitor on your own?
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Excuse my ignorance, but what is the difference in core and link? Also, do you have to do the monthly fee or can you just monitor on your own?
    The link has Bluetooth so you can link it to your smartphone and the core you buy a display and/or have to hook it up to your computer via USB to get your stats.
    Both need a subscription that is 6.95 a month after your free trial period of 3 months.
  • Bukawww
    Bukawww Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I love my Bodmedia armband...I feel that it is a crucial part of my success.
  • MarkHard1ng
    MarkHard1ng Posts: 4 Member
    Options

A bit late to this conversation (sorry!). I have the Bodymedia Link and I also have a Wattbike indoor trainer. The Wattbike has one of the most accurate calorie assessments because it's based on energy output, ie Watts (wattbike!). The Bodymedia tracks the calories displayed by the Wattbike within a few %. Conclusion a) the Bodymedia does what it says b) it will report your indoor cycling just fine - the Bodymedia isn't calculating calories based on steps but rather body metrics measured by the sensor.
  • PLAID1977
    PLAID1977 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have been considering buying one of these for over a year now. can anyone tell me if they found a good deal on one? I think Costco used to have them for the cheapest but I'm not sure anymore. The cost and monthly subscription is what has held me back. But I'm feeling the pull again...
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I used the BodyBugg to get off the last 60 of 100 lbs a few years ago. I just bought the BodyMedia link back in october and have had good success with it - particularly on rest days and long run days where I really have no idea otherwise what I can eat. It's also great motivation to get to 10,000 steps. I just don't wear it when I'm out on date night and wearing sleeveless or shortsleeve tops. I also don't wear it to bed as I don't like seeing that I already know I'm not sleeping enough. that makes me tired lol.

I bought mine on either Amazon or eBay (IDR which one) for liek $60. Brand new in packaging. I would probably buy a new one out of box if I could have found one and washed the band and sanitized the sensors.

It's only $7 a month - I can easily spend $7 on coffee, scratch off lottery tickets, or other junk I don't need in a month so I think it's worth it. I love the integration with MFP as I hate the Bodymedia food database.
  • KabbyGU
    KabbyGU Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Don't waste your money. I've had 3 of them and they haven't lasted more than 3-4 months. When it worked it was great!

I have had my Bodymedia Fit for over three years now, ear it daily, and I have never had an issue with it. I even accidentally jumped in the ocean with it in and remembered a few minutes later. I took it off, let it dry out and it never even seemed bothered :)
  • gtalton
    gtalton Posts: 4
    Options
    I will likely be returning this BodyMedia Link tomorrow ... I've only had it 3-4 days but I can't get it to read my calories burned even close to where it should be. Right now it's usually reading about 40% of the calories burned versus simple heart rate calculations. For example, I'm 46, weigh 160 and over the 6 treadmill workouts my average heart rate was 135 for 90 minutes that's over 1100 calories .. this device is showing about 400 calories burned and that's after I purposely added several inches to my height profile to help compensate .... tell me where this is remotely correct? I have used several calorie counters this is just one I used. http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I will likely be returning this BodyMedia Link tomorrow ... I've only had it 3-4 days but I can't get it to read my calories burned even close to where it should be. Right now it's usually reading about 40% of the calories burned versus simple heart rate calculations. For example, I'm 46, weigh 160 and over the 6 treadmill workouts my average heart rate was 135 for 90 minutes that's over 1100 calories .. this device is showing about 400 calories burned and that's after I purposely added several inches to my height profile to help compensate .... tell me where this is remotely correct? I have used several calorie counters this is just one I used. http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

Do you think you burned 1100 calories in 90 minutes on the treadmill? Because if so, that sounds WAY too high to me. In 90 minutes I might burn, at most, 500 calories, but I'm usually in the 400 range.

The BMF learns about you as time goes on, so you should give it more time before you give up.
  • LunaStar2008
    LunaStar2008 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I am wearing my BodyMedia now since a week and I am amazed of all the data it provides. I still log my food through MFP. I can even see the co-relation between my weight and myt sleep pattern. I am a shift worker and often don't get enough sleep. It also turned out that I walk almost 5 miles each shift or more then 10,000 steps (which is my goal). Also my TDEE is much higher then I thought. So I burn actually more calories then I thought, but it still fits with my calorie deficit I am striking for.
    I even cut back on my weight loss supplements I was taking, and after a short increase in weight I am back on the beginning weight BodyMedia started tracking. :smile:
    I am a cycler as well and thankful for the advice given here at an earlier post. I was actually thinking wearing the armband regular. If I sweat and increase temperature while cycling, it should recognize the activity, and even if it is a little below - hey, that's another deficit....:wink::laugh: .
    I was just wondering, if climate with high humidity gives higher reading in activities. It is currently very warm and humid in South Georgia and while I do my walking at work (outside) I sweat some.

I will take the advice and order 1-2 additional armbands, just to have them as I need it. I am wearing the armband currently all recommended 23 hours.
    It took me sometime to get the synchronizing program downloaded and working. After up-dating my internet explorer and some other items (I use windows) it is now working as a charme. It was frustrating and I was almost ready to ship it back :huh: , but I am glad I didn't.
    As much positive feedback I see here, I think it was a good investment. I use the core version, because I can wait each day until I get home. I try to stay in my calories and if I found out I had some more to spare...well mission accomplished:happy:
  • LunaStar2008
    Options
    I read somewhere else that people were concerned that office work and typing on the computer would be counted as steps with the BodyMedia. I noticed, while reviewing my daily stats, that it even recorded my desk times as sleeping :glasses: Ha, and I was defenitley not sleeping at my desk, but it is very cool in the room and sometimes it makes me chill.
    So, during my shift some of my desk time is measured as sleep. That eliminates actually my question on the previous comment. If cool spaces lower the burned calories, the heat and himidity may elevate it a little, but at the end it levels itself out to an average.
  • LunaStar2008
    Options
    For the cyclists out there. I wore my BodyMedia armband on my arm today for my cycling trip and recorded it just fine. I earned about 1046 calories for a 3 hour ride. My app on my phone which calculates distance and speed calculated about 960 calories. So the BodyMedia armband worn on the arm while biking keeps track on your burned calories. The numbers a fairly close so I think it is accurate. Since I bike on a regular base I will keep track and keep you posted of my experiences.

If you bike fast and out of your comfort zone, the rise in body temperature and sweat would be enough (and that's what the armband tracks) to have the indicators that you are exercising.