Treadmill recommendations.

Options
So I'm on the market for a $1500 or less treadmill shipped. I have a few requirements (I train for endurance events based on heart rate):

- Works with a heart rate strap
- Incline up to 10
- Hardware speed buttons, i.e. instead of just the up and down, also specific numbers, i.e. Speed 1-10 on the console that you can quickly go to.

I'm 5'4 and 127 lbs, so I'm lucky in that pretty much any treadmill will work for me weight/vibration-wise.

Thinking of Sole F80, lifetime frame and motor, 5 years electronics, 2 years labor. But then I get to thinking I can get the Gold's 420 for $400 shipped at Walmart and $40 extra for 3 years of all-inclusive warranty. The Gold's doesn't have wireless monitoring.

If I want wireless heart rate they start at around $700. Then I get to thinking I can just use my phone to display the heart rate but this would add another piece of hardware. Are there <=$500 treadmills out there that work with chest straps?

Decisions, decisions .....

Add to that I really like the iFit stuff and part of me wants a color screen big with iFit. That's still in the $1500 range. Argh ha The Proform 2500 ($1500, color dispay, iFit) would be an iFit choice.

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    The best treadmill to get is the one outside your front door - the road. Costs nothing and is much better than the electrically-operated ones.
  • SinCityFit
    Options
    Not really safe to use the road when training by heart rate and have to keep a watch on your heart rate. Nice to be in a controlled space.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Rubbish. I know plenty of people who train outside with a HRM. None of them have been hit by a bus in the process.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Can't really recommend a specific brand in your price range but .....buy the best you can afford. A $400 treadmill from Wallyworld is likely to be Made in China and of poor quality.

I've got a Pacemaster Silver Select that is 10 years old, has thousands of miles on it (I've used it less the past 4 or 5 years but my wife and kids have continued to abuse it regularly) and still operates flawlessly (it's outside your desired price range - I suppose you could find one n sale if you're patient - and doesn't have all of the features you're looking for)>

I'd also second the running outside as an option......it only takes a second to glance at a HRM (some better models can be set to warn you if you exceed your desired threshold) and it's a much smaller investment than a treadmill, and far more fun......
  • Cath_Taylor
    Cath_Taylor Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't need to keep checking your HRM it should have alarm settings to alert you when you're outside your desired range.

That said if you're not used to road running it can be a tough transition .... but I would agree with the others & say don't waste your money on a treadmill when outdoors is free. Plus if you can find a local fitness centre which has outdoor facilities you can use track running (some larger corporate gyms have indoor tracks too).
  • SinCityFit
    Options
    I've trained for triathlons for years and have put in hundreds of miles on roads, trails, paths, all kinds of roadways and terrains, outdoors, outodoor tracks, indoor tracks, treadmills. I really want a treadmill at home :)

The Garmin 910XT has alarms but I like to run towards the top of the range close to the max without exceeding, so I use it quite a bit. I just like looking at it.
  • JoanneC1216
    JoanneC1216 Posts: 166
    Options
    Mine is a Horizon T500 (not sure they make this brand anymore). I bought it back in 2008 and it was the best purchase I ever made. If you live in iffy weather, it always comes in handy (I can't run in the cold due to my asthma).
  • Cath_Taylor
    Cath_Taylor Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I've trained for triathlons for years and have put in hundreds of miles on roads, trails, paths, all kinds of roadways and terrains, outdoors, outodoor tracks, indoor tracks, treadmills. I really want a treadmill at home :)

The Garmin 910XT has alarms but I like to run towards the top of the range close to the max without exceeding, so I use it quite a bit. I just like looking at it.

In that case have a look at this
    http://www.treadmill-running-machine-review.co.uk/dkn_roadrunner_treadmill_review.html

Personally I would go for the best I could afford if I'm forking out for a treadmill at home.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    The best treadmill to get is the one outside your front door - the road. Costs nothing and is much better than the electrically-operated ones.

^ this
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    http://www.treadmilldoctor.com/treadmill-review-brand-index

This is a great site with good reviews of all major brands and they even have a buyers guide for different price ranges.
  • Zaria_Athena
    Zaria_Athena Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have the LIVESTRONG® LSPRO2 Treadmill.

It has a heavy duty motor - 3.25 HP. I was told to get 3 or higher if doing lots of running - speed work or LSDs on the treadmill.

It has the up and down buttons for speed and incline put you can also manually put in a new speed or incline.

There's the Passport interactive media player and lots of programs.

This is advertised as $3000 treadmill (here in Canada) but I got it for $1500.

And yes, I love running outside but sometimes it's just not possible when it's freezing rain. The treadmill is my Plan B.
  • BrianSharpe
    Options

Bit of a silly question....if you can exceed your maxHR then it wasn't your max was it?

BTW.....the 910 is really cool (I've got a 610 only because the 910 hadn't been released when my 305 died) and if you'll enjoy running on your treadmill that's entirely your choice.
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    you can have mine, it mostly just takes up quite a bit of space in my living room. my cats like to sleep on it though, they might miss it.

sorry, not helpful.
  • pbruce706
    pbruce706 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Bit of a silly question....if you can exceed your maxHR then it wasn't your max was it?

I've always thought of MaxHR like the red line on your tach, you can exceed it, but it's not recommended.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I got mine as my anxiety issues don't let me get out very often, it's not really as fancy as you're looking for but it's built like a tank and has a 350 lb weight limit (couldn't afford anything sturdier). http://www.amazon.com/PROFORM-CROSSWALK-CALIBER-Elite-Treadmill/dp/B000LZPA8Q/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top I didn't get it from Amazon but it's got good photos. It doesn't have what you're looking for but the company might have models that does. It's massive at nearly 6' tall when folded up and even with wheels isn't easy to move. I paid i think 800 for it back in 2009 or so.
  • jussy123
    jussy123 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a big deal to use a treadmill. I prefer the outside, but when there is solid ice and snow everywhere and it's -40C, having a treadmill is a very nice option.

I have used an AFG for the last 3 years. I really like it. It's very solid, has a long belt (long and solid enough for me - I'm 5'8", 130-132lb), and is very smooth and cushioned. The foldable ones have less movement/vibration issues than the ones that don't fold. (even if you are small, there is movement, and I really don't like movement - personal preference). Having said that, there are lots of other good treadmills out there.

I agree with the suggestion about treadmilldoctor. It's a helpful website.

I would check out a good treadmill store and talk with the staff there. I learned a lot just shopping around. If budget is an issue, I would also check out used sporting goods stores and ads people place. Sadly, I think most treadmills end up being clothes racks. You might end up with a great deal.

Good luck!
  • hunte028
    hunte028 Posts: 15
    Options
    Maybe he/she just wants a treadmill.
  • BrianSharpe
    Options

I've always thought of MaxHR like the red line on your tach, you can exceed it, but it's not recommended.

I was being a little tongue in cheek........many people take the 220-your age as the gospel and seem to have the impression that your chest will explode if you exceed some arbitrary number.
  • SJCon
    SJCon Posts: 224
    Options
    LOVE my sole F80 bought it at "****,s Sporting goods" and they had free set up and delivery. Set up is a chore with it as it is very well made.

Dang censer that said the Nick name for Richard LOL As in Tricky "Richard" Nixon.
  • sweetgardenangel
    Options
    To SJCon:
    Hi, I'm investigating treadmills on YouTube and found this one as "widely" popular, simple to operate, with soft rubber tread that is easy on the joints, heels, etc. How do you like it, and what other treadmills were in your top 3 favorite? TIA!