An article for some of you teens

Dieting to Excess
From International Food Information Council Foundation

There are probably as many reasons why teens begin to diet, as there are methods to diet. Maintaining an appropriate body weight is an admirable goal for anyone. But, the problem that often crops up among teens who diet is that they sometimes use extreme measures to achieve weight loss and many times have unrealistic body images. Fasting or skipping meals, following the latest fad diets, taking diet or "water" pills (diuretics) or exercising fanatically are not safe nor even the most effective methods for losing body fat. What's more, teens often fail to see that achieving a more healthful and attractive physique is not measured solely by numbers on a scale. "If a teen wants to lose weight, he or she should look to the Food Guide Pyramid for guidance. Choosing more of the lower-fat options from the grains, fruit, vegetable and protein groups of the Pyramid will provide the energy and nutrients teens need without extra calories," advised Ms. Rarback. "Even more essential is to get moving. Physical activity helps with weight, mood and energy level, which are all important."
When dieting leads to an eating disorder such as anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa or binge eating, the health consequences-physical and psychological-can be devastating. The American Psychiatric Association estimates that eating disorders affect between one and four percent of adolescents and young adults. Yet, eating disorders are not triggered solely by the desire to be thin, according to Amy Tuttle, R.D., L.S.W., a nutrition therapist at The Renfrew Center in Philadelphia. "Certain family dynamics along with the challenge of developing a separate self identity contribute to disordered eating," says Ms. Tuttle.

Replies

• icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Dieting to Excess
    From International Food Information Council Foundation

There are probably as many reasons why teens begin to diet, as there are methods to diet. Maintaining an appropriate body weight is an admirable goal for anyone. But, the problem that often crops up among teens who diet is that they sometimes use extreme measures to achieve weight loss and many times have unrealistic body images. Fasting or skipping meals, following the latest fad diets, taking diet or "water" pills (diuretics) or exercising fanatically are not safe nor even the most effective methods for losing body fat. What's more, teens often fail to see that achieving a more healthful and attractive physique is not measured solely by numbers on a scale. "If a teen wants to lose weight, he or she should look to the Food Guide Pyramid for guidance. Choosing more of the lower-fat options from the grains, fruit, vegetable and protein groups of the Pyramid will provide the energy and nutrients teens need without extra calories," advised Ms. Rarback. "Even more essential is to get moving. Physical activity helps with weight, mood and energy level, which are all important."
    When dieting leads to an eating disorder such as anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa or binge eating, the health consequences-physical and psychological-can be devastating. The American Psychiatric Association estimates that eating disorders affect between one and four percent of adolescents and young adults. Yet, eating disorders are not triggered solely by the desire to be thin, according to Amy Tuttle, R.D., L.S.W., a nutrition therapist at The Renfrew Center in Philadelphia. "Certain family dynamics along with the challenge of developing a separate self identity contribute to disordered eating," says Ms. Tuttle.
  • don't forget laxative diets.

they just don't work- all you do is poo more often and while it moght feel like your losing weight you just lose water and risk your health.

i had a few friends who tryed that as a teen and it led to one hospitalization, one set of dirty underwear because she couldn't control herself if you know what i mean, and some bad memories.
  • icandoit
    I think all you young-en need to read this and think. You need to eat healthy to live healthy. 500-900 calories a day is a invitation to a disorders.
  • laxgirl
    laxgirl Posts: 27
    being a teen myself, i find that everything you said is absolutely true. a body is something that needs to be treasured and taken care of. im an athlete, so i cant function on a 1200 calorie diet (let alone 500!), and i need to eat more calories that most people would to try and lose weight. its also important to remember (for everyone, not just teens) that starvation is not only dangerous, but it slows down your metabolism and the wieght lost from it comes back very quickly. so stay healthy everyone!
  • icandoit
    Thank you.
  • Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    Thank You !
    Thank You !
    Thank You !
  • Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    Food is fuel for your body. If you don’t feed it, it isn’t going to function properly. It will run down and you will become very ill.
    Try this:
    Go whisper in the tank of your car. Just tell it to run for you without any fuel. Tell it you will put fuel in it after a week but not much. How far do you think you are going to get with it?
  • icandoit
    :happy:
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    being a teen myself, i find that everything you said is absolutely true. a body is something that needs to be treasured and taken care of. im an athlete, so i cant function on a 1200 calorie diet (let alone 500!), and i need to eat more calories that most people would to try and lose weight. its also important to remember (for everyone, not just teens) that starvation is not only dangerous, but it slows down your metabolism and the wieght lost from it comes back very quickly. so stay healthy everyone!

Please pursue a health-career in your future! There aren't many people your age that can see the bigger picture and their future. Good for you for staying true to yourself. :flowerforyou: It will get easier!
  • laxgirl
    laxgirl Posts: 27
    thank you very much!