How to choose quick good snacks at a store?

Options
I always choose the worst snacks. What snacks would be good that come in single servings that are low in calories at say Dollar General? And is gatorade better for you than soda?

Replies

• greeniris101
    Options
    KIND bars are wonderful! at walmart you can get them for about $1.25 or so. They are in the pharmacy section. Or, Baby-bel cheeses are good too. Also I have got to be the Mayor of Realville here for a second and say neither gatorade or soda is good for you in any way. Gatorade has tons of sugar and soda has a ph level close to battery acid. Water it's your best friend. Don't like it? Add lemon! Also no foods at any dollar store are any good. They are all highly processed, sugar laden, chemically ridden foods! Read the labels if you can't pronounce it forget it. Good luck to you!
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I agree with greeniris about Dollar General "food". Avoid it if you can. Most things that come in single serving packets are pretty bad for you.

At the grocery store stick to the outside perimeter and avoid the inner aisles if at all possible - that's where most of the junk food lives - pick up fresh fruits, veggies, nuts, low sodium deli meat, yogurt, eggs to hardboil and hummus for your snacks. Portion things out when you get home from the store so that they are always ready to go.

Gatorade has tons of sugar! They make a lower sugar/low carb one that is decent...but I really only get those when I'm sick and need the extra electrolytes and stuff.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Try stopping at a big gass station instead. They have unsweet tea, fruit, sometimes hard boiled eggs, nuts, and yogurt.
  • vvendy_darling
    Options
    It's simple, choose quick good snacks.
  • batalina
    batalina Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    when in doubt, i'll go for the smallest package of relatively plain nuts i can find!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    apple
    banana
    orange
    (see the trend here????)
    string cheese
    nuts - the individual packs are rediculously expensive though buy some baggies and portion them out yourself
    yogurt cups
  • bradXdale
    bradXdale Posts: 399
    Options
    On the subject of Gatorade....yes & no

Gatorade technically is better than soda but you really don't need to drink sports beverages unless you're working out or doing strenuous activity losing lots of sweat & electrolytes...

See when you sweat and work out long enough your body burns glycogen for energy (stored carbs) which is why Gatorade has carbohydrates in it. You also lose minerals like potassium & sodium via sweat. This is why Gatorade has potassium & sodium in it to replenish your body to further fuel your workouts.

FYI