Things that don't taste like spaghetti ...

Options
ils_1231
ils_1231 Posts: 249 Member
Spaghetti squash....

But it's delicious. Tonight I roasted it but not sure if I did it right or cooked it for long enough. How do you all cook this thing and what do you eat it with? Re: do you eat it as "spaghetti" with sauce or treat it like a normal squash?

Replies

• sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Zucchini Noodles. Unfortunately, these also don't taste good.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I don't muck with it much.......generally evoo or butter or both, roasted garlic, herbs and some parm, but lots of people treat it like pasta, must be in the name.
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I would just bake it at 375F for about 45 minutes
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I like spaghetti squash but it doesn't taste like spaghetti noodles (good thing too because I don't like pasta all that much!)... It is really tasted if you just pierce it a few times with a fork and microwave it. I like to cut it in half and and fill half of it with sauce afterwards.
  • ils_1231
    Options
    Tonight I just used salt and olive oil and roasted it. Haha yah I think people treat it like spaghetti bc of the name?? Anyways I was just wondering what people normally do with it aside from standard roast and scrape.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Shirataki noodles.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I had some for lunch today! I treat it as squash. It isn't even close to spaghetti noodles. After I bake mine, I scrape it all in a bowl and eat on it for several days. My go-to method is to saute some onions and garlic in butter, then add the squash to heat it through. Pretty yummy to me. :)
  • Shan790
    Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Shirataki noodles.

So not spaghetti at all

I treat it like squash too. I like to bake it a second time with butter garlic and parm until it gets all brown and crispy on top
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash....

But it's delicious. Tonight I roasted it but not sure if I did it right or cooked it for long enough. How do you all cook this thing and what do you eat it with? Re: do you eat it as "spaghetti" with sauce or treat it like a normal squash?

I like spaghetti squash, zucchini and other vegetables and eat copious amounts almost dily, but don't prepare them pretending they substitute pasta. If I really want pasta, I now have a modest portion and that's that.
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Any substitute for pasta generally doesn't taste like pasta to me. I very much enjoy saifun (bean thread noodles) but find the carb count is similar to that of just making pasta with white flour and eggs. Homemade pasta wins every time.
  • ils_1231
    Options
    ill have to try it with butter and parmesan! that sounds great. actually tonight i was fine with it plain, but i really like pumpkins/squash. i was hoping to get more recipes than just roast it though! if anyone has anything else let me know!

** i did not think that this would be a substitute for spaghetti -- trust if i want pasta i eat pasta-- but i was intrigued if people had certain combinations re: onions, garlic that would go well with this type of squash**
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Wait... you WANT something that tastes like spaghetti???
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I've had it with meaty bolognese and loved it.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I love spaghetti squash. I use it as squash, I use it as pasta. Whatever.

I am not a big pasta fan though, so I actually prefer spaghetti squash over regular pasta noodles. EXCEPT for when I make stir fry, and then I use soba noodles.

ETA: I make my spaghetti squash with garlic, olive oil, parmesan, and chicken. Yum.
  • vvendy_darling
    Options
    Pretty much every other thing except pasta.
  • flsouthernbelle9
    Options
    I spray the * fake butter* on spaghetti squash , salt and pepper, and well its * eatable * lol thats all i can say, not great, but it is fuel.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I love spaghetti squash. I use it as squash, I use it as pasta. Whatever.

I am not a big pasta fan though, so I actually prefer spaghetti squash over regular pasta noodles

pretty much me too.

I like the squash- I like it for sphaghetti- I've never tried it another way- but it's good- hmmmm now i want some. haven't had it all year!!!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I've had it a few times, and I found that microwaving it for a few minutes whole (puncturing like a potato) makes it easier to cut in half. Then I continued to microwave in a shallow container with water (face down). I've also tried just microwaving. Mostly because I'm in a hurry to make dinner after the gym. I did try roasting it once, but forgot about it, which did not go well...

I tried it as pasta, which ended up just taking like a veggie dish, which wasn't bad, but doesn't soak up sauce like pasta does. Watery, doesn't taste like pasta, but tastes good on it's own. (Granted I also enjoy pasta sauce on thin green beans too, but again, I don't consider it a replacement for pasta).

I really liked it when I served it with balsamic braised chicken. I'd done that in the crockpot with balsamic vinegar, mushrooms, onion, bell pepper, and tomatoes and then dumped it on top of the squash. Again, it would have worked better if it absorbed liquid, but it tasted SO GOOD!!!
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I roasted it and then used it as a pasta substitute.

I don't cook a lot but a coworker that does gave me a tip to cut it half, place it face down on the pan and put a little water in the pan. I think it I cooked it around 30 minutes in a 350 deg oven. I put butter and some salt and pepper on it. I used a basic meat sauce made with ground sausage instead of beef and that was really good!
  • ichoose2believe
    ichoose2believe Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I like it best sauteed with a laughing cow wedge mixed in and some herbs.
    Its also really good in an omelet with feta(just a bit) , a little bacon and spinach. Plain greek yogurt and sriracha on top.