13»

Replies

• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    here is an interesting... post basically, about the different positions

http://70sbig.com/blog/2012/01/low-bar-vs-high-bar-squatting/

seems to be born out of forum arguments lol

hate to say it, but you would have been accused of using bad form if you were doing low bar squats in my highschool gym.

was the 'hack squat without the machine' comment explained?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    here is an interesting... post basically, about the different positions

http://70sbig.com/blog/2012/01/low-bar-vs-high-bar-squatting/

seems to be born out of forum arguments lol

hate to say it, but you would have been accused of using bad form if you were doing low bar squats in my highschool gym.

was the 'hack squat without the machine' comment explained?
    I can't see the article- if you go to images- there is a great cross section comparing front- low and high- it's black and white.

well- I wouldn't say high schools are the pinnacle of fitness education either- and most people don't know their *kitten* from a hole in the ground- so that doesn't surprise me. The placement of the bar makes the difference.... and the idea is that the bar goes in a vertical path- so if you chance the placement- then the you need to change mechanics to GET it to go mostly up and down.

Regardless- both are acceptable methods- and depend largely on personal preference. There are some moderate changes in focus of high vs low- but really they are to me negligible if you consider the whole movement itself- the slight hammy activation I might get with one doesn't trade the discomfort I get for doing it. So YMMV.

Hack squat- is not originally a machine it's an actual squat. You can google that too.

Most people just use the machine though.
    quick google for you
    http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-hack-squat.htm
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    and how do you do hack squats without the hack sqaut sled?

Barbell hack squat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdtaJRBqwes
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    i like to diversify my leg training with plyometric jumps.

i look at all the different variations on the squat and my lower back starts to worry lol.

i could see people saying the same thing about plyo tho.

In the end, i think the only thing that really matters is that your squating at all.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    they are just two totally different goals.

I'm not a fan of the hack squat- it's murder on the knees honestly. but some people do it- I've been lifting for almost 15 years and I have never once seen anyone do a real hack squat.

but OHS, Front and back are the most popular- Jefferson- rarely seen- but once in a while you'll see it- and then zerchers.

Plyo's are great if you can take the impact, but a lot of people can't. I like plyo's- I like training like an athelete- but the reality is I want strength right now- so plyos are great- but wont' get me there.

Goals- goals matter. Because goals will dictate what you are working.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Which is your current or favorite squat technique?

Front, sumo, back, etc.

Why do you prefer one over the other?

Bulgarian Split Squats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI9jX-6vJtE

2010-images-footballbody-Bulgarian-Split-Squat-2.jpg

Oooh! Going to add this to my routine.. just did some in my living room... it's killer!
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Low bar back squat is my primary squat but I also do front squats as an accessory lift.
    ...it isn't a bad idea to avoid front squatting more weight than you can clean.
    QFT

QFTX2

I like low bar back, but I also do front squats once a week. I also agree that front squatting more than you can clean is a no go, at least for me, I FS about 75% of my clean weight.

Rigger

I don't get this. AT ALL.

I front squat about 80% of my back squat max which in turn is roughly 130% of my power clean and about 120% of my clean and jerk. Now my 5x5 for front squat every week is about 70% of my clean, but my maxes are much higher than what I can power clean.

Just for clarification, I was referring to my working weight, and assume the previous poster was as well. Truthfully, I have never front squatted for max, but WW is about 75% of clean WW. I imagine I can max higher on front squat than I would on cleans.

Rigger
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Fronts feel the most natural to me as far as technique goes.

I back squat 3xweek and front squat 1xweek currently.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I prefer back squats. Especially since training for powerlifting. I do enjoy front squats, though. They are challenging and I like the different variation.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Low bar back. But I've never done front.

And yes, I also get corrected constantly for leaning forward and I go to a commercial gym, not a high school gym. I usually name drop Ripptoe but that doesn't always help. I downloaded this image to my phone after the last incident. I'm going to bust it out next time.

6a00d834515d6769e2010537182b44970b-500wi
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    I typically do High Bar Squats with Front Squats as an accessory lift.
  • lq022
    lq022 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure this would constitute a squat, per say, but a friend of mine who is a trainer taught me to basically do a sumo squat on a leg press. Instead of just putting your feet up on the plate, you move them down towards the bottom and have your feet point outward and do the movement of lowering yourself down towards the plate. The lower you can position your feet, the deeper the movement goes. And it gets rid of the fatty inner thighs .... I usually do like 4 sets of 12 reps and can barely move after .. its great!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I'm not sure this would constitute a squat, per say, but a friend of mine who is a trainer taught me to basically do a sumo squat on a leg press. Instead of just putting your feet up on the plate, you move them down towards the bottom and have your feet point outward and do the movement of lowering yourself down towards the plate. The lower you can position your feet, the deeper the movement goes. And it gets rid of the fatty inner thighs .... I usually do like 4 sets of 12 reps and can barely move after .. its great!

not a squat.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I "like" doing front squats because they're a lot easier than back squats. I think this is simply because they can't put the same amount of muscular/neurological demand on your body with the lower weights one handles in comparison to the back squat. I do have to add that I believe back squats will provide a much better training stimulus and therefore better training efficacy than front squats.