Booty question!

Options
Okay--so I'm working on losing approx. 120 lbs. I've always had a big booty and honestly I love that (my boyfriend does, too :blushing: ) so I do NOT want to lose all of that. Obviously it is going to shrink with my body to be more proportionate, but I still want a "donk". I KNOW squats/lunges are the exercise to do to keep it on the large side, but my question is WHEN should I start? Right away? I'm in week 3 of my lifestyle change and I feel FABS, having already lost 9 lbs. Right now at the gym, I do just cardio and just arms (machines--need to get rid of the flab, lol). Should I start incorporating the booty-keeping techniques as well?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    you should be doing strength training or resistance training of some sort on your weight loss journey.

The goal is to maximize fat loss and minimize muscle loss.

If you don't do ANY strength/resistance training- the weight you lose will very well be muscle AND fat loss- which isn't so ideal.

YES- when in doubt- more squatz is always the answer most life questions.
  • lq022
    lq022 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I would ! The sooner you can start to develop that muscle, the better. When you do squats/lunges, it works your legs as well, which will help with your running or whatever cardio you do. Plus, the glutes/legs are pretty big muscle groups, so to have them defined and start building them will help increase metabolism, which will help with the weight loss. Get to it, girl !
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Yes, start now. With over 100 lbs to lose, you're going to lose most of that butt no matter how many workouts you do, but doing them will help keep it from going flat. I'm absolutely in love with FitnessBlender.com. Check out their workout videos (free!), especially the butt/thigh workouts. They're awesome and no gym required!
  • RaeBella13
    RaeBella13 Posts: 153
    Options
    you should be doing strength training or resistance training of some sort on your weight loss journey.

The goal is to maximize fat loss and minimize muscle loss.

If you don't do ANY strength/resistance training- the weight you lose will very well be muscle AND fat loss- which isn't so ideal.

LOL-everything can be solved with more squats! I love it!!

Thank you :)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

This.
  • RaeBella13
    Options
    I would ! The sooner you can start to develop that muscle, the better. When you do squats/lunges, it works your legs as well, which will help with your running or whatever cardio you do. Plus, the glutes/legs are pretty big muscle groups, so to have them defined and start building them will help increase metabolism, which will help with the weight loss. Get to it, girl !

Thanks, that makes a whole lot of sense. Definitely needed some other opinions! Thank you!!
  • RaeBella13
    Options
    Yes, start now. With over 100 lbs to lose, you're going to lose most of that butt no matter how many workouts you do, but doing them will help keep it from going flat. I'm absolutely in love with FitnessBlender.com. Check out their workout videos (free!), especially the butt/thigh workouts. They're awesome and no gym required!

Thank you thank you! I really don't want a flat *kitten*. I've never had one EVER. Is it weird that this is my biggest fear about losing weight? LOL
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    I would just like to comment and say THANK YOU for loving your booty! I have ALWAYS had a donk (even when I was a normal weight, thanks genetics!) and I love it, even now with 75+ lbs to lose!! Jeans just don't look right on a flat bum :P I also <3 squats and lunges, just do them in a mirror to make sure your form is right or it's all for naught!
  • RaeBella13
    Options
    I would just like to comment and say THANK YOU for loving your booty! I have ALWAYS had a donk (even when I was a normal weight, thanks genetics!) and I love it, even now with 75+ lbs to lose!! Jeans just don't look right on a flat bum :P I also <3 squats and lunges, just do them in a mirror to make sure your form is right or it's all for naught!

Thank you!! I've been overweight since middle school, but fortunately I've been blessed with curves-hips, booty, boobs..I'm not too worried about losing them, just want to do everything in my power to keep them!
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Definitely start now. Check out Bret Contreras, "The Glute Guy" and his Strong Curves program.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

Thank you thank you! I really don't want a flat *kitten*. I've never had one EVER. Is it weird that this is my biggest fear about losing weight? LOL

I think you may not go flat in the back. I've gone from 307 to 194 lb and my bum is smaller but the exact same (big, round, husband-pleasing) shape as before.