Can't jog due to shin splints - help please!

Options

Replies

• sigalsirkin
    sigalsirkin Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I found a new pair of shoes made the difference.
  • mhiggi02
    mhiggi02 Posts: 5,988 Member
    Options
    Chi Running and proper shoes. Made all the difference in the world with being able to run or not.

^^ This. Or natural running, short mid-/fore-foot strides, it's called a lot of things. I had the same issues and now run 100+ miles/month.

Here's my story if you're interested:http://goo.gl/fPnm1J

Go get 'em!!!
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    When I started C25K last year, I had the same problem. I would get shin splints every time I ran even though I thought I was running slow enough. It wasn't until a few months later when I ran with a friend that I realized I was still running too fast. You're supposed to be able to hold a comfortable conversation while running, that's the best speed for you. Some people can do that at different speeds than others.

My advice, slow it down even more, and get fitted for proper running shoes. It makes all the difference in the world.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Keep moving, slow down, drink lots of water.

If you can's talk to someone while running you are going to fast (as a beginner)

I found using C25K app (couch to 5km) helped me big time with my shin splints.

the more you use your legs the less likely the shin splints will continue
  • LauraMyny
    LauraMyny Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I was the same way!!! It was horrible. I would feel all proud that I went for a run and made it through but then I couldn't run again for 3 days because of my shins! I read somewhere to up the incline on the treadmill. Something about going uphill instead of slapping your feet on the flat belt works. I tried it and I haven't gotten them since!! Try just setting the incline at .5 :)
  • FitCowgirl8
    FitCowgirl8 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I ave always been prone to shin splints and have been told that it is from pushing your muscles too hard too soon. For me I would always ice my shins after a run and I would run through them unless the pain was really bad then I would take a couple of days off. I also use a compression sleeve and do calf raises to build up strength. Slowly as I built up strength in my calves my shin splints went away and I rarely ever have pain now. If I do have pain I know that I need to slow down for a little while. If running hurts start off with walking and short bursts of jogging. It will get better as your body adjusts.
  • Flyingmoney
    Flyingmoney Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Holy bad advice batman. Do not try to "run through" shin splints. Contrary to popular belief, running is not necessary for weight loss, nor is it even the most efficient way for burning calories.

There are stretches for those experiencing shin splints. Rest from running and look into other means of exercise--bike, elliptical, yoga, strength training, swimming, rowing, (literally anything) besides running.

He's right, that really is bad advice to run through shin splints. The pain will stop if you keep running, but it doesn't solve the problem. The pain comes back later, and the splints get worse - and shin splints turn into stress fractures if they get too bad.
  • sandi117
    sandi117 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    In my experience shin splints go away with continued use of said shins. Just keep going, drink plenty of fluids and perhaps stick your legs in a bucket of ice cold water for 5 min after "jogging".

:noway: :noway: :noway:

No, no, no! Do not "just keep going"! I made that mistake and had shin splints for nearly a week. I could hardly walk, and actually had to call in sick to work because I knew being on my feet all day was going to be pure torture. While "running shin splints out" works for some people, I would say it's better to be safe than sorry and not do that. You may lost a few days of running, but you save yourself the possibility of being in a LOT of pain and being out for a much longer time, and the increased possibility of stress fractures. Let your legs rest.

As others have suggested, try the elliptical, or even an Arc Trainer if your gym has one (if you even go to the gym.) They are much lower impact, and you can even use these machines while you're waiting for your shin splints to heal. Next, if you're still getting pain, ibuprofen will help, as well as lots of water. Ice may help short-term for pain, but I found it didn't really help when they were bad. When you do run again, take is slow. Many people who get shin splints and are just starting to run, try to go too far and too fast. Your body needs a chance to adjust.

I understand you just got new shoes, but are you sure they are the right ones for you? I highly suggest finding a running store to have your gait analyzed. There are different shoes for people with different biomechanics. It is helpful to know if your ankles roll in, roll out, if you strike the ground with your heels, mid foot, or toes, etc. While it is recommended to try to hit the ground mid-foot (essentially between your heel and toes), run the way that is most comfortable to you to prevent further/other injury by forcing yourself to run in a way that is unnatural to your body. As you continue, your form can and possibly will improve on its own.

Good luck!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Holy bad advice batman. Do not try to "run through" shin splints. Contrary to popular belief, running is not necessary for weight loss, nor is it even the most efficient way for burning calories.

There are stretches for those experiencing shin splints. Rest from running and look into other means of exercise--bike, elliptical, yoga, strength training, swimming, rowing, (literally anything) besides running.

He's right, that really is bad advice to run through shin splints. The pain will stop if you keep running, but it doesn't solve the problem. The pain comes back later, and the splints get worse - and shin splints turn into stress fractures if they get too bad.

The pain comes back later? Really? Well a year and a half later...still running & still no pain coming back. Strange that considering I ran mine out.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    You could run through the pain but you could make it worse. Depends on the intensity. I was sprinting around a tennis court and got them (played 6 hours a week). At its worse, it requires an operation to fix. Rest, therefore, is your best solution. Then strengthen the shins with this kind of exercise:

http://eserv.co.uk/irl2/the-best-exercise-for-combating-shin-splints/
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    When you get splints just turn around and do it for a few yards. And then go back to running forward.

Shinsplints are microfractures in the lower leg, it used to lead me to being barely able to walk for days when I got it. What you're talking about is not shinsplints, it might be muscular tightness though.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    The pain comes back later? Really? Well a year and a half later...still running & still no pain coming back. Strange that considering I ran mine out.

In that case you didn't have shinsplints.
  • crispsandwich
    crispsandwich Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I found shortening my stride helped with mine, good luck x
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Hello!

I meant that I had changed my shoes - how would I know if they weren't suitable as they feel fine and supportive?

I was new to running, yes. I had never run before in my life so I started the couch to 5k and I managed to get to, I think, week 5/6? But the increase was too much for me so I stopped, then I started running on the treadmill in the gym in shorter bursts. So I'm pretty new to running, yes. I can walk fine, I just find it extremely boring.

OK, you've had some good advice and some piss poor advice in this thread.

If you're suffering shinsplints then you need to rest and recover before going back to running. The damage is microfractures in the shin and affecting the muscle adhesion to the bone. Do not try to run through it. Running is hard on the legs and if you give yourself permanent damage now then you'll regret it.
    I mostly use the bike in the gym which I do enjoy using and can stay on there for a long time and appears to be burning a lot of calories (according to the machine) but I feel it's not changing my body shape or helping me lose any weight/tone up, which I think running would help with.

I usually do weights before I start and sometimes the bike and I also start with a warm up walk so I'm not just diving straight into the running. I will have to try doing more stretches aimed at my lower legs though - I'll try the ones in that link, thanks!

There are a number of different things that you can do, I'd second the point about proper running shoes made upthread. It's not just buying new shoes, it's buying new shoes that are appropriate to your gait. I overpronate, so roll from the outer heel to the ball of the foot and need shoes that help compensate for that, you may be different.

Form is a big contributor to the problem, if you're over extending your front foot and landing on your heel you put a significant load on the leg as you drag your body over the lever of your leg. Short steps where you're landing with the foot just barely in front of your mass, and then pushing yourself forward, are most efficient and least hard on your frame. That's the essence of the Chi running or midfoot running mentioned above. There are several techniques to encourage that.

The other potential cause is a muscle strength imbalance between the calf and the muscle along the shin. You can deal with that either through some of the exercises mentioned above, or by using a resistance band. The point about cycling also contributes to helping here, clip in your toes and consciously lift the pedal as well as pushing down. That'll help the balance.

Note that an elliptic will not address the underlying issue leading to shin splints.

I would also suggest not coupling running and resistance training, try to do them on different days.

It might also be worth thinking about objectives. Running does burn a lot of calories, but if that's your reason for doing it then you're not going to get the best from it.
  • jon40084
    jon40084 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I thought for many years that I had shin splints. Turned out I had Anterior Compartment Syndrome. Had Compartment Decompression surgery on both legs. Have been running ever since!!

So the bottom line is "see an expert."
  • SturgellNC
    Options
    Something of a re-hash here but this is how overcame them during my own c25K journey:

1. Stretching. Can't emphasize this enough. Do some warming stretches before running. More importantly, STRETCH AFTER THE RUN. Post-workout, your muscles are hot and loose. This is the best time to stretch to avoid cramps, improve motion and help with shin splints, too. Look up stretches for shin splints, do them after workout, even if it's not running.

2. Get fitted for shoes. Go to a pro. A shoe store that deals with runners specifically. It costs more, but it's worth it. Have them fit you for the right shoes for your gait.

3. Get custom insoles. The right shoe store can help with this too.

3. Shorten your stride/land mid to front foot. I was landing on my heel due to overstriding. This high impact running was hurting. The shorter stride decreased my time, but it increased my endurance and lessened soreness and pain.

There you go. That's what worked for me. A lot of other people have said to go to an eliptical. Those are great, but I know the motivation factor and accomplishment that comes from the c25K are second to none. I now run two to three times a week, and use an eliptical two or three times a week (total 5). The best non-running, low impact exercise is swimming - bar none.

The wikipedia on shin splints is accurate. Some are saying shin splints IS tiny fractures. Shin splints CAN be tiny fractures, but that's not the most common form. That's why some people can run through it, and some people can't. For some, once the muscles build up and their stride becomes more stable, the shin splints go away. Best to ice the muscles, reduce impact but continue to exercise, and start running again after a bit - but keep it slow for a while. If the shin splints comes back immediately or fairly quickly - it could be micro-fractures.

I recommend that you take anyone who says there's only one way to deal with the issue with a grain of salt. Shin splints are a symptom of something else. How you deal with it depends on what's causing the pain. That's why you're seeing so many (differing) opinions.

I'm no doc, just someone who worked through it and is still running.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Maybe we need to compare the feeling to determine if it's shinsplints or not?

My shins feel like someone's stuck knives in my shins. I have to stop whatever I'm doing.

PS Shorter strides really do help as the muscles on the front of the shins moderate or slow your pace by acting as a brake IYSWIM! 'Course, in tennis you sometimes have to take extra big strides.

article-2347218-1A7C704A000005DC-36_634x438.jpg
  • jessspurr
    jessspurr Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    You are kind of damned if you do and damned if you don't with shin splints. Yes, for me, continuing to run (albeit much slower and for less time) cured my shin splints (whatever you want to call it, shin pain, whatever) and yes the pain after running was so bad that I was limping. My concern for people who get the advice you should ABSOLUTELY NOT run through shin pain is that they are just going to give up on running. If they stop running immediately when they feel the slightest twinge of pain they will never know if more running could actually be the answer for them. Of course I think every one who has said they have "run through" their shin pain didn't run for months and months on end in excruciating pain. We went for a run, came home, took an asprin, iced our shins and went out the next morning for a little more and then one day the shin pain just didn't come back. A month, maybe six weeks of this. I think people need to use common sense. If they have been running for months and their shin pain is not getting any better, they should probably stop. But, I think it's unfair to automatically assume that rest is the only thing that can cure shin splints. I went that route. I was told to stop immediately if I felt pain and wait a couple days until the pain went away. Well, every single time I ran that shin pain came back, so I would stop again. One day I just decided to test the theory that one can actually build up the muscles in the calves and shins enough for the pain to go away and it worked. If I had listened to everyone who told me to stop, I wouldn't be running today and that is very very sad.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I've experienced a few different kinds of shin pain. Early on, it hurt if I pulled up my toes - my shins burned while I was running. Stretching helped. Those "shin splints" went away in response to stretches and exercises. I've had this other issue for about a year, now. I took 5 weeks off last July and August until the pain went away and saw a physio guy about it. He said it was shin splints and definitely not stress fractures. I was also assured that it wasn't compartment syndrome. I was sent to Physical Therapy for a gait analysis, but the PT wanted to do 8 weeks of therapy first, for weak hips. I don't believe I drop my hips. I couldn't afford to do that, so I just kept running, anyway. After all, I'd been assured that all I could do was make my shins hurt worse. And they didn't hurt while I was running. The days following a run, my shins feel bruised, as though they'd been smashed with a baseball bat. I still have lumps in the sore areas on both shins. But they appear to be getting better - since I got new shoes. Minimalist shoes. The physio advised against them, but I guess I don't listen well. I don't know if anyone here can offer any insight into what would help, but I can list some things that didn't. Ice, stretching, massage and any of the common exercises that people tell you to do when you say you've got shin splints.

It took 5 weeks to go away the last time I tried "stopping running until it doesn't hurt." I am too determined to be a runner to go 5 weeks between runs. They only hurt if I touch them. So I have been trying not to touch them. For over a year. I really hope I'm not just imagining the improvement with the new shoes.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    But, I think it's unfair to automatically assume that rest is the only thing that can cure shin splints. I went that route.

Rest is not a "cure" for shinsplints, it doesn't address the underlying reason for the problem which is a combination of muscular imbalance and form.

Rest does allow the physical damage to the bone and connective tissue to repair to the extent that it can then be trained upon, while that rest is ongoing alternative exercises can be used to start to mitigate the underlying causes
    One day I just decided to test the theory that one can actually build up the muscles in the calves and shins enough for the pain to go away and it worked.

Injury prevention is one of the best reasons for runners to undertake resistance training as well. Resistance band training helps strengthen the ankle improve the muscular balance in the lower leg, similarly lifting a sandbag with the toes, pivoting on the heel. The point about cycling earlier helps, as pulling up on the pedal helps strengthen the muscles affected.

One of the reasons that running through the pain doesn't address the underlying problem is that the muscle actions bias towards strengthening the calf and hamstring, with less effect on the shin muscle, quads and glutes. Cycling is a complementary exercise for all of them, if resistance training isn't preferred.

It's not a question of "don't run", it's a question of "rest, treat, return".

There are a number of reasons why it's a recurring injury, largely because the underlying cause isn't addressed.

Rest, ice, compress, elevate is the basic approach to treating an injury, including shinsplints

Resolution of the cause of the injury is muscular training, correct footwear that's not been run out (around 500 miles), form and pace.