What to do when ....

Options
Romyarts2014
Romyarts2014 Posts: 201 Member
Hey guys,
I have a few questions.
here is a little background
I am just starting my weight loss journey at 400 pounds.
I am 21 years old and live in a student dorm.

1st question.
How do you control yourself from eating , binging, drinking in a sociol situation.

I live in Europe and I stay on my own, however 30 minutes up the road is my family. I go there every weekend and sometimes for a week straight, They have no intentions on throwing out the bad foods for the good ones. fries, steaks , chocolates, burgers anything fried , sweet and smothered with butter. For my family and I this is a tradition, food is what we bond over big time..

How can I go to my families, still enjoy there company and stay away from the foods . I do so great on my own but the minute I go, i get so caught up in my family i start eating, drinking and over doing it..

Question number 2.. Sometimes I just have a bad day, because I fight with family or money problems whatever it may be, and thats when i start going for foods.. what can I do to avoid binging on a bad day.

Question number 3. I know i am not alone with this, I live in a student dorm were I have to cook with everyone and everything I do is watched by everyone who lives here, i am also stariting school in 2 months or so, i am the biggest girl in the school and in my house. How do I ignore the negativity and not let it bring me down . how do i get the confidence to ignore them. my roomates have formed some kind of hatred towards me were they just stare at me all the time which makes me not want to cook..

what should I do..

thanks guys

Replies

• jenlindsaymorgan
    Options
    I take weekends "off". I have the same issue where my family and I bond over food. I don't necessarily quit eating right, I just make better choices and smaller portions while still eating the same foods as my family. So if they are eating burgers and fries, I might have a burger no bun and a couple fries and maybe a salad. I don't track my foods on here on the weekend but I do try to be more conscious of what I am eating. Once you get used to tracking your foods (EVERYTHING you put in your mouth!) you will learn better eating habits! ALSO don't give up on yourself. Everyone has bad days and makes bad choices. Just remind yourself that that next meal can be better and tomorrow is another day!
  • ericarenee2005
    Options
    Answer 1: I have a little of what I want. It's about portions and with it I just eat something healthy. Let's say I want chocolate. I'll have one serving of chocolate and eat an apple as well so I don't over eat the chocolate. Some people also mix chocolate chips in with nuts to make their snack healthier. Whatever works.

A good way to avoid a lot of problems is to have healthy snacks with you. If I go out sometimes I carry a ziplock bag with almonds in my purse, or a granola bar. Whatever works for you. If you are going to your families just bring a bag of your own snacks and make sure you eat something healthy and give it time to hit your system. Some people say that is 20 minutes. If you are still hungry after that, have a little bit of the other.

Really what I've found the most important thing is just learning how to portion. Have a little of what you want and have something healthy as well.

Answer 2: I have the exact same issue. I like to stress eat. One of the best things you can do is take that stress and put it into a workout. Go for a walk or do some kickboxing, something to help you vent it. It will help you clear your mind and start to become a healthier habit. Also you can distract yourself by playing a game or something.

Answer 3: The most important thing about losing weight is acceptance. You have to love yourself. If you love yourself you will want to be healthier for yourself and not other people. Confidence is key. Do what you do with confidence and if you fall off the band wagon for a day get right back on it. You are beautiful now, and you will still be when you lose weight, but what should change the most is what's inside. Dealing with anxiety, and depression among other things that make you eat and gain weight. Try to change your relationship with food and amazing things will happen. Best of luck. :)
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    1. All about portion control. Allow yourself a little of the bad for you but tastes oh so good stuff. I have found that often I don't need as much of it to satisfy the craving that I used to. If you and your family sit around the table talking after the meal but before clearing the table, which is what my family does, then take it upon yourself to start putting food away. You will be less tempted to pick at the food as you sit there. You can also look for healthier recipes and if your mom is willing try and get her to make them. You don't even necessarily have to tell her they are healthy recipes.

2. Find an outlet for when you are stressed. Whether it's going for a walk or some other form of exercise to playing a video game to coming on here and venting either in the forum, a blog, or even in a private message to me or one of your other friends.

3. This to me is the tough one. It is always hard to deal with people when you feel or know they don't like you and you are put into a situation like you are in. I can't tell from your post if they are at least friendly towards you or if they are rude. If they are friendly enough try and find something you can bond over to break the ice. If they know how to cook ask them to teach you. I think I remember you saying you didn't know how to cook very well.

Lastly, every single day I want you to look in the mirror and smile at the beautiful girl staring back at you and say I CAN DO THIS. If you don't I might just have to come over there and kick some sense into you ;)
  • vvendy_darling
    Options
    We can all give you suggestions but ultimately you need to figure out what works for YOU. You didn't gain the weight overnight so don't expect to figure everything out overnight either. It's a process, one that can take months even years to figure out. I've been at this awhile with some success but it wasn't until recently that I changed a few things and the weight has been falling off me. I haven't had any binges, am eating all the foods I love, and am not obsessed with food anymore.

So please read through the replies, use the search function and further investigate how other people have gotten it done, and don't beat yourself up if your first plan doesn't work.
  • michcor
    michcor Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I, too, have family that bonds over good food and alcohol (and lots of it!). I just really try to work my *kitten* off every other day of the week, and then I don't feel so bad about splurging a little on the weekends. I agree with what someone else said: burger without bun, salad instead of fries, etc. A lot of it is just going to be about having self-control. I'm 33 years old and still working on that. I can't resist food and alcohol, in excess sometimes...

Anyways, as far as your *****-*kitten* roommates, I can't give you any advice, except that the best way to tell people to eff-off is by being happy and succeeding. I know how hard it is to ignore the negativity, but honestly, those *****es won't matter in a year or two, so don't let them bring you down. Feel sorry for them that they have nothing better to do than hate on you. People like that will prey on your insecurities. So smile big and kill them with kindness, but also, don't be afraid to call them out on their rudeness. I firmly believe people act like *****es because they can get away with it.

Also, I really love this quote I found, probably on Pinterest..."Love your body, and the weight will take care of itself." For me, that is so true. Nourishing your body with healthy foods and exercise, drinking lots of water, etc, you're taking care of your body. When you eat crap food, and drink a ton, and hate on yourself, that's not going to help you get to where you want to be.

Good luck!
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    >>1st question. How do you control yourself from eating , binging, drinking in a sociol situation.

This is your journey. Not theirs. You can't expect or require them to give up whatever bad foods they're used to having. Do your best to make whatever modifications you can - have the burger without the bun, or see if you can make your own steak so that it isn't smothered in butter. Don't have as many fries as all that. Yes, this is going to draw attention to you if they aren't used to seeing you eat that way. Your only response need be, if you feel like you have to say anything at all, is, "that isn't very 'food journal friendly.'"

>>Question number 2.. Sometimes I just have a bad day, because I fight with family or money problems whatever it may be, and thats when i start going for foods.. what can I do to avoid binging on a bad day.

At some point, you'll have the discussion with yourself that you know the only reason you're eating is because you're stressed due to the situation, and the food isn't going to help the situation go away. I was really surprised when that happened to me. You're eating as a way to avoid the feelings and/or bury the feelings. My therapist always laughs at me now, asking if I find that things irritate me more now than they used to. I say, "Well, YEAH!!" He said it's because I'm dealing with the feelings instead of burying them. It takes time to be able to develop enough confidence or whatever to not address those issues through eating.

>>Question number 3. I know i am not alone with this, I live in a student dorm were I have to cook with everyone and everything I do is watched by everyone who lives here, i am also stariting school in 2 months or so, i am the biggest girl in the school and in my house. How do I ignore the negativity and not let it bring me down . how do i get the confidence to ignore them. my roomates have formed some kind of hatred towards me were they just stare at me all the time which makes me not want to cook..

Again, you'll need to develop your armor enough that you can say to yourself and anyone, "This is the path I'm on."

One of the doctors I've been working with has said that when you're on this path, it's okay to be selfish and put yourself first. You've spent so long trying to cater to others needs that your needs have fallen by the wayside. Enough of that. It's not a sin for you to focus on doing things that will put in you a position to be successful with your weight loss journey.

I started my journey in April 2011 at 376 pounds. Last year was a rough year....surgery, loss of my father, etc. But I'm back on track now. You're going to stumble along the way, and that's okay. Humans are fallible beings. We're made to make mistakes. It's not a question of "if" but "when." Make peace with the fact that you know you're going to stumble, and there are going to be meals and/or days when you're not "perfect" or a "bit off track". THAT's okay. It's what you do after that....you keep taking steps in the right direction, and don't dwell on those "off track" moments. If you focus on the negative, you'll resent the hard work you're doing. If you focus on positive, you're outlook becomes different. You know you stumble but that's okay, and you're only looking to make positive changes in the right direction.

You WILL get there - but only if you really want to and are willing to be uncomfortable enough to change.
  • Romyarts2014
    Options
    Thank you guys so much for the replies and the support!

That is so true, i could eat less of it and have a so called fun weekend.
    I just dont want to fall back into old patterns. At the end of the day I have to just nail it in my head that its not like im plotting against myself, im just trying to make myself healthier..

my roomates are definetly A holes! but recently they have been ignoring me since the holiday here in the Netherlands.
    lots of times there in the kitchen with all of there friends and its right next to my room so i hear everything.
    i remember one night they were outside my window and saying something about me and one knocked on my door trying to get me to come out there so her friends could see how big i was.

food is so good, but i would love it if my new addiction was excercise.
    To break the curse of the fat women in the family....

Thanks all of you for the advice .. i really appreciate you guys
  • Romyarts2014
    Options
    thanks for putting me in the light, its true. its all about JUST DOING IT.

it baffles me that food can determain someones life so much.

You have to eat to survive, but finding the balance between survive and overeating is hard.
    i Always beat myself up for messing up and than i just say AHHHH what the heck let me continue eating bad
    i already messed up, and thats were I go bad....

thanks for everyones help

i am definetly taking this by the arm .
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    Well dont beat yourself up..because as you know, thats a quick road to failure..accept that fact that you will screw up but that its ok as long as you jump back up.

As for the "haters" in your life? your always going to have that..for every supportive person there are handful more that want to tear you down..for whatever reason.

At the end of the day, its you who has to live with yourself. its you that has to avoid future health issues..so if people want to be mad at you for your goals...whatever they may be..then let em.

and if it gets too bad..well you have a place to go for support right here now dont you?
  • Tracie524
    Tracie524 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    You've already received a lot of good advice. Maybe when you go eat at your family's house, you could take a big salad or healthy side dish. You can still have some of your traditional family food (portion control) and then fill up on salad or the healthy side.

Also, when you are feeling stressed or sad or any feelings and want to eat, go for a walk. Walk some of the frustration off. You will feel better for getting some exercise in. Also, maybe write your feelings down in a journal or something. It sometimes helps to get them out.

As far as the others in your dorm, you just have to not let them get to you. I know that is easier said than done. Like others have said, they must be unhappy with something in their lives so they try to take it out on you to make themselves feel better. Just focus on your journey and you will show them. You are strong and can do this. It won't be easy but you can always turn here for support and know it will be worth it in the end.
  • clanmcfleming
    clanmcfleming Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    There has been loads of great advice so far. The only thing I would add is that you maybe only have to put up with your horrible room mates for this year? Dont let their rudeness and immaturity put you off your goals. Friend me, and I can send you some super positive vibes! I think its great you are handling everything so well!
  • happybecause
    happybecause Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Have you considered looking into OA in your area? It's an international organization that helps people with eating disorders. Overeating/binging/etc. I do this, too, and just started going, and it's going to help me, I know it. It could help you, too.
  • abhull14
    abhull14 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    1. I think it can be hard to avoid but what has helped me is making sure I have healthy options. I went to a super bowl party and I knew there was going to be a bunch of unhealthy food, wings, pizza, burgers, etc...I brought a veggie tray to the party, I still ate some of the other foods, but I didn't eat all of it, just a little its all about controlling the portions and tracking everything.

2. If you have a bad day, maybe take out your frustrations out at the gym...can help get an intense work out. If you mess up don't beat yourself up, think of a new day as a reset and keep focused on the goals.

3. All I know to tell you is ignore it...regardless of if weren't going to be on this new lifestyle you would have to put up with other people so reason to let them bother you.

Good Luck!
  • jenniferhorn87
    jenniferhorn87 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I just want to give you a hug.

I've been through what you have been through, and I know how difficult and discouraging everything can be.

Both I and my husband come from families that love to eat. We've been very good lately with keeping the junk food out of our house, but whenever family wants to have us over to eat or go out somewhere to eat, it's always a struggle. I always try to find what the healthiest option to eat is and focus my attention on that. If there is nothing healthy, then maybe try eating something healthier before going over so you're not as hungry and therefore not as tempted? Bringing healthy snacks along with you also helps, I've found. But sometimes you just want to have that "good stuff", and in that case just be smarter about it. Even if you eat a little more than you planned to, just look at it as "well, I ate less than I would have if I wasn't being conscious about it". Also, TRACK!! Even on the days that you don't do so well... still make yourself accountable. It helps!

As for the roommates go... I went through elementary school, middle school, high school, and college being very overweight. People can be very cruel, but try not to let it get you down. I know it's easier said than done, but they obviously have their own major issues and insecurities, otherwise they wouldn't care what you were doing. They need something else to focus their negativity on so that they don't have to look at themselves. In a few short years you'll understand what I mean (I'm only 5 years older than you).

If you ever need someone to talk to, feel free to message me. I also have a lot of weight to lose (as you can see by my ticker) which I've already lost once and unfortunately gained back again. I will add you as a friend.
  • kammyrios
    kammyrios Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    >>1st question. How do you control yourself from eating , binging, drinking in a sociol situation.
    Like others have said, portion control. Also you can do some extra exercise on those days to help balance your calorie intake some. Maybe go for a walk after dinner, or play a game of a sporting nature; like basket ball or something. Or you can have a vigorous dance party! Dancing does get you moving and burning calories!

>>Question number 2.. Sometimes I just have a bad day, because I fight with family or money problems whatever it may be, and thats when i start going for foods.. what can I do to avoid binging on a bad day.

This is a difficult one. Find alternatives. Instead of eating, exercise, or have a hot cup of flavored tea. I brush my teeth when I feel like I want to eat when I am not truely hungry. Wash your hair, take a shower, just find something else to do. This is a great time to paint your fingernails and toenails too!

>>Question number 3. I know i am not alone with this, I live in a student dorm were I have to cook with everyone and everything I do is watched by everyone who lives here, i am also stariting school in 2 months or so, i am the biggest girl in the school and in my house. How do I ignore the negativity and not let it bring me down . how do i get the confidence to ignore them. my roomates have formed some kind of hatred towards me were they just stare at me all the time which makes me not want to cook..

This one is easy. If you find someone staring at you, stare back. I mean really, staring right into their eyes. I guarantee They will look away and be embarrassed. If they make remarks, rephrase it into a question, and put it right back on them. For example; "Oh look at what she is going to eat!" Look right at that person and ask "WHAT AM I GOING TO EAT? Make them answer you. It will just sound stupid when they answer with " A bowl of cereal, or A banana" It won't take long and they will leave you alone. Do not concern yourself with what they are thinking!

You are beautiful Romy. You are important. You are worthy. That is what you are. Now believe that!
  • 40andFindingFitness
    40andFindingFitness Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    In addition to what everyone else has said:

1) Eat before you go to social events, look up restaurant menus online and select a healthy option so you'll know what you're walking in to, drink lots of water while there, eat a burger with no bun and a veggie instead of fries are a few ways to combat this. You may never be able to get your family to change their habits so maybe you should shop for yourself and have those foods for when you visit the family.

2) Try to identify the triggers while they occur, not aferwards. If you find yourself reaching for food, try to reach for something healthy or go for a walk to change your mood and burn off calories.

3) Do not let what others think of you define you. People who are negative toward you without even knowing you or your story have their own issues. Plus, if you're seen around campus exercising, maybe a friend will join you or those negative people will see that you are working on yourself and they can just shut it up lol.

The biggest factor is not to let your environment bring you down. You've decided to do something about your weight and that alone is commendable. What everyone else thinks is irrelevant. Also, reward yourself with non-food items when you hit certain goals (scal or non-scale victories), and remember to be diligent but patient.

Good luck on your journey.
  • BlackStarlight
    BlackStarlight Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP and good luck on your journey!!
    Feel free to add me we can do this together :)
    I find its all about the amount. I'm not one of these people that can cut it out completely cut stuff out completely so I tend to have smaller sized stuff. So like a snack sized chocolate bar instead of a full one.

The other tips these guys have given you are awesome too.
    I'm here if you want to talk.
    Just remember this. You might not be there yet but you're a step closer than you were yesterday and sometimes that makes all the difference.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: xx