marathon training and treadmills

Options
So... how much of your training do you do on a treadmill? I had been doing it all outside since October, but the last month has been freezing, icy, cold, wet and miserable. So I've been "treadmilling" it. I have 25 days until my half marathon, and hope it warms up soon....

We started out training for a full, but after illnesses and injuries we had to downgrade to a half... hence the training since October ;)

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I personally don't find running outside more difficult. In fact, I find treadmill running more difficult mentally, and, I'm faster outside. I'm doing a half and have done all my training on the treadmill this year. Last year, I trained for a half all outside. I won't know for sure how I'll fare until I do my half, but I am not concerned at all about it.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Sadly our winter this year has been extremely cold, and a lot of snowfall leaving some sidewalks and paths impassable. So, I've done 90% of my marathon training on my treadmill so far, with the exception of maybe 3 or 4 outside runs.

It's starting to warm up so my long runs will hopefully all be outside now (Thank goodness - 16 miles on the treadmill last week-end just about killed my last bit of sanity) but due to my little ones and my husband's work/school schedule, my weeknight runs will still be on the treadmill.

My marathon isn't until June.
  • muaythaijunkie
    muaythaijunkie Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have a 10k in 5 weeks that i am getting ready for, but because of the cold icy weather I am stuck to the treadmill. I personally find it easier to run on a treadmill, but that is only because I run with no incline. Where as outside you get the hills or slight inclines throughout the run that tends to push you more. I probably will start doing a slight incline on the treadmill to mimic what I could encounter on race day.
    Good on you for doing a half marathon I have thought about doing them but want to get through the 10k first.
  • superspork2
    superspork2 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I hate running on the treadmill now.. I started running outside last septemberish and now I can run 3 miles outside with no problem, as soon as I do it on the treadmill, I feel like its the most impossible thing I've ever done. I dont know what the difference is, if its mental or pacing or what.. But I'd take training outside over the treadmill any day..

Good luck on your half marathon!! anyone that can do anything with marathon in the name is my hero
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I hate the treadmill with a passion (I probably need to get over that) but I have only had three or four long run days that I couldn't get outside and I did laps around the basketball court at the gym by me instead of hitting the treadmill. My husband had the kids there and they were playing in the middle so it was kind of a welcome distraction and provided a little change of scene I guess you could say. Even watching a tv show or movie just doesn't do it for me on the treadmill and I hate having to mess with it to change my pace. Next winter will be more interesting because that's when I'll hit the big miles as my Marathon will be next January. Right now I am at about a 1/2 level.
  • KrispyNoodles
    KrispyNoodles Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Considering tread-milling it, too. However, I get motion sick on tread mill so will need to find a way to not fall off and vomit... :sick: I much prefer outside runs but same weather woes here on the West Coast... heavy rain, snow, sleet, wind, icy temperatures. Did a 15k training run with sprints 2 days ago in the thickest of fogs (at least it wasn't raining). I could barely breathe from the high humidity, had a very poor run. My half is in May so not much time left and need to step it up.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    So... how much of your training do you do on a treadmill? I had been doing it all outside since October, but the last month has been freezing, icy, cold, wet and miserable. So I've been "treadmilling" it. I have 25 days until my half marathon, and hope it warms up soon....

We started out training for a full, but after illnesses and injuries we had to downgrade to a half... hence the training since October ;)

I'm going to assume your home state as listed in your profile is no longer Texas? If it is Texas, suck it up cowgirl and get outside. Y'all are supposed to be the toughest state in the union, "Don't Mess with Texas," or something like that.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I do my short runs on a treadmill to add incline. Where I live, it is completely flat, and I'd have to drive over 30 mins to the city to find a good hill. Treadmill is just easier. I always do my long runs outside though. No way am I logging 10+ miles on a treadmill. It has been extremely cold here as well...one of my longest runs, the wind chill was negative F. When I pulled my face hood up to eat an energy gel, it had iced over by the time I pulled it back down. Miserable, but better than a treadmill.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    16 miles on the treadmill last week-end just about killed my last bit of sanity

I'm with you there LOL. I've only done up to 11 on the treadmill. Mind-numbingly boring. But, you've got to do what you've got to do!
  • msthang444
    msthang444 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    for the long runs on my treadmill i'll plug i my iPad and watch a movie :) 2 hours down...
  • msthang444
    Options
    Nope! I'm still in texas. But we've had 2 snow days and 4-5 late start days due to the freezing temps in the last month. It's unusually cold! brrrrr.....

Actually, went to Tyler this weekend and it FROZE THERE! I'm starting to think it's following us...
  • msthang444
    Options
    I'm not a native Texan either... I'm from Iowa, so I should be used to it... but I guess I've converted :)
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I did a 15 miler on a treadmill a year and a half ago and nearly got cabin fever.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Nope! I'm still in texas. But we've had 2 snow days and 4-5 late start days due to the freezing temps in the last month. It's unusually cold! brrrrr.....

Actually, went to Tyler this weekend and it FROZE THERE! I'm starting to think it's following us...

Sorry, I'm with other guy.....

Suck it up cowgirl. 20 and up is t-shirt weather in the winter.

How much snow actually caused the "snow day(s)"?
  • msthang444
    Options
    LOL um... uh... well...uh...no actual snow per se.... but we had frozen sleet and 300+ accidents in one day :-/
  • IMLynner
    IMLynner Posts: 1
    Options
    I've been running outdoors in temps around -20 to -25 it's been awful but still loads better than the treadmill. Lots of snow to navigate but with regular trips to the physiotherapist to keep me tuned up, I'm in pretty good shape. Running a 30k race at the end of this month, and running my first full in May. Can't wait for the warmer temps! This has been a hard winter for many of us!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    LOL um... uh... well...uh...no actual snow per se.... but we had frozen sleet and 300+ accidents in one day :-/

So.....that's one day......
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I've done about 75% of my run a treadmill this winter. I have been back outside for the last couple weeks, except for intervals because the local track is still covered in snow and running them on the roads wouldn't be very bright up here in New England. I could feel it when I returned to the roads, but I am back on track now. I am glad I was able to maintain my engine while not being able to run outside very much! Looking forward to my marathon in May!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I live up in the frozen north (well there are are people even farther north than me) and I've only used my treadmill a few times this winter (just after freezing rain storms) and my longest run ever on a TM was 10 miles which almost killed me with boredom.

There are, however, lots of runners who train primarily on treadmills (especially in winter) who are very good marathon and HM racers. If it keeps you moving it's good!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    If it keeps you moving it's good!

Amen