Ash Wednesday - Fasting/Workout Question

Options
I know part of this is not "announcing" that you're fasting, but., I'm thinking about the work out. Should I NOT work out. I figure weight training/circuit stuff is out. I was planning on doing the eliptical for about 30/40 min just for the calorie burn. Advice?

Replies

• meca85
    meca85 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I would love to partake on a fasting for religious reasons as I am Catholic myself. However I am also trying to shape up and I don't want to pass out. :-)
    But there are different types of fasts. The most common one is fasting from meats on this day.
    You could also do a mid day fast until noon or 3pm or even a fast until dinner. Then once you're nourished you could keep up with your workouts.

As long as you dedicate something of yourself on this day it's meaningful.

I've actually been a smoothie cleanse and I'm actually finishing today. I didn't think I would make it but I surprised myself at my discipline.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Technically you only fast until your evening meal you can also technically have 2 smaller meals as well during the day but no snacks in between. I normally just exercise in the evening on these days.
  • FitMelody4Life
    FitMelody4Life Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I work out fasted on a daily basis as I eat on a 20/4 intermittent fasting schedule so I workout out at 5 am and I dont eat my first meal until around 5-6 pm. Trust me you will be just fine, your body doesnt need food all the time.
  • DWW529
    DWW529 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input, folks! I really appreciete the perspective and advice.
  • amandamae61288
    amandamae61288 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    See how you feel before you work out. If you feel weaker, skip it. Make today your rest day. Since your caloric intake will be less, you dont need a calorie burn.
    A fast for Catholic's in the US consists of one normal meal and two smaller meals and no snacks in between. You are also not to eat meat (Fish is OK). If you pick good foods you can intake a decent amount of food even if you are "fasting". I will intake about 1300 calories today- not bad for a fast.
    Best advice, see how you feel before your work out. If you feel fine, go for it. If you dont, or start to feel weak or dizzy once you have started, skip the work out for the day.
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I did a short toning routine for this morning, only about 100 cal burned. I usually eat three meals w/ two snacks during the day, so today I am switching to a smaller breakfast, two small snacks, and a small dinner (which I may skip if I'm feeling alright). You gotta do what you gotta do, right? :)
  • brisingr86
    brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting.
  • labeastette
    labeastette Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I was just thinking today what I should do!
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I don't see any reason not to work out. I'm fasting as well. Have your small meals early and save the full meal for after the workout. Just adjust your workout intensity as needed if you notice something is off during the workout.